PDA

View Full Version : DIY hamster cages - any advice or help would be fab!

rachelpeapod
03-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Hello, I think this is my first post on here, if not it's been so long since I posted I've forgotten!

I have two winter white dwarf hamsters. They are brothers and for a while they were happy living together in the Living World Eco Habitat (medium) that I have. Anyway they suddenly decided they hated each other so I divided the cage in half. But now I don't think they have nearly enough space so I am going to build my own habitat for them.

Basically they will each have two 30"x22"x20" (LxWxH) boxes made from plywood joined together via a tube of some description so essentially each hammy will have a space 60"x22"x20" (LxWxH) when it's all joined together. (Two boxes will be joined together side by side to make one long box of dimensions stated, then the two long boxes are stacked one on top of the other and raised up on 22" sturdy legs) - I need to make four boxes instead of just two long boxes for a few reasons - one is that I'm making them at my grandads house (in his shed) as he has all the tools etc needed and I can't fit two 60" long boxes in my car! Two, the long box would need some support in the middle anyway, and three, it is easier and cheaper to get shorter pieces of perspex and wood etc than long bits.
The front will have a perspex 'lip' on it about 5" high so substrate doesn't fall out, and a perspex door framed with wood so I can see in, have good access to clean hamsters out and also for security (they'll be lockable somehow).
I will drill ventilation holes in the short sides and doors, and have ventilation panels in the back, covered with mesh and high up.

I would like your advice on lining the boxes so they are water (and pee) proof and easily cleaned. What I was thinking at first was to line floor and walls with perspex so it is similar to the cage I have now, however when I worked out the cost of that much perspex I went a bit faint! So I read through a lot of posts on here and it seems that Plasticote is the way to go? Would ceramic tile sealed with aquarium sealant be ok for the floor (we have lots of tiles left over from various projects) and then plasticote the wood walls?

Also (I know this is long, thank you for reading!) what are people's opinions on red lights being used to watch hammies occasionally in the dusk/dark? I am of the belief hamsters don't see red light so it wouldn't disturb them? If suitable I was thinking of running a red LED strip light through the back of each box (and boxing in with mesh if needed) quite high up so no little sharp gnashers could reach. I'd only be using occasionally and I would definitely test the lights before installing to check that they don't get hot.

Phew, I'm sorry that went on so long, I wanted to give a bit of background info! I hope that I have explained what I am planning well enough, just ask if you have any questions! I'm on my tablet now (at 5am, up with pain :( ) but tomorrow I could take a photo of the rough plans I have drawn up if that will be of any help.

I would also like to keep updating this thread as the build progresses, if I'm ok to do that?

Your advice and opinions are greatly appreciated, thank you for reading! (If there is any advice you can give me that I've not specifically asked for, please go ahead! Anything extra I can do for my hammies to make them happy I will do. The two things I can't really change is the maximum size because of where the cages have to go, and the plywood, because that's already been ordered..)

I have finally finished babbling now! :p

whollibaugh
03-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Hi Rachael, sorry that no one has responded for soo long!

Firstly, I think your plans sounds great and I would be happy to see how your cage plans turn out.

I think it is neat that you want something more durable and permanent. I myself preferred more disposable cages and constructions; often creating cardboard houses out of toilet paper & paper towel rolls (in addition to cardboard boxes).

I would recommend that you just use disposable wax paper as a liner and then good cedar bedding on top. Only issue is they might nibble the wax paper, but I'm sure they would be fine if so.

In any event good luck!

katmick
03-27-2015, 01:34 PM
I would recommend that you just use disposable wax paper as a liner and then good cedar bedding on top. Only issue is they might nibble the wax paper, but I'm sure they would be fine if so.

Hi this is very important to know : cedar woodshavings are NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL to hamsters due to the contents of harmful oils. These can irritate hamster's respiratory system,cause many health issues and allergies.

Please,please don't use this type of substrate. Safe substrates are Aspen dust extracted woodsavings, Fitch, Megazorb (eventhough I don't like it as I find it dusty - same goes for Tumblefresh).

I really like Cozi'N'Dry,this is my favourite dust free and soft substrate,but as far as I know they are going to discontinue it.

People really like hemp substrate and Fitch,they are really popular. I personally use mix of Cozi'N'dry with dust extracted woodshavings but may change if needs to be ( as I said they might discontinue Cozi'N'Dry) for other alternatives possibly hemp substrate mixed with Fitch...

I also use safe paper bedding for my hams to use as nesting material,please do not use wooly type of bedding as these are dangerous and your hammy could end up with impacted pouches or intestines or it can wrap around their feet and cause the cut off circulation.

Please use safe substrate and bedding for your hammies! :p

whollibaugh
03-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info katmick.

I actually don't have hamsters any more T_T
But for that day I will add more to the family, I will be sure to remember your post.

After my hamsters passed, I ended up using their bedding for trash-can bottom filler (to help control the smell and absorb any spills).

katmick
03-27-2015, 01:56 PM
I am sorry your hams passed away...

On the other hand I am glad to help. HC is an excellent place for learning about hamster care.
Welcome! :)