PDA

View Full Version : Help! I didn't want a hamster!

newhamstermummy
01-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I should explain, Im a hamster lover, but only ever owned Syrian and never anything else. I have a Syrian hamster, and told myself that was my only pet as I rent a room and my housemate already has a pet too. Anyway!

My little sister moved out her flat because her flatmate ran away and left her to pay the rent, I went to move her sofa as she doesnt drive, and was amazed to find her flatmate had taken everything, except her hamster! It was badly in need of a clean out, a whole bag of food had been left in the cage, and the flat was freezing cold as it was empty! Of course I took the hamster, in its incredibly small cage, with NO WHEEL and hardly any toys. It even had the bedding they arent supposed to have (is it cedar?)

Anyway, I took it home (my partner went a bit mad at first, but after I explained I couldnt leave it there, she said I could keep it.) I grabbed the hamster, which was VERY tame, such a lovely, friendly little thing. But its a pearl winter white russian dwarf (i looked on the net!) Its incredibly skinny (even with that huge mound of food?) but apart from that seems well. I have since given it a new home, with lots of room, toys, sand bath, etc.

Anyway! My question is this, I never wanted a dwarf hamster, but now I have it I will love it as my own, however is there anything different I need to do which is different to my syrian? i thought these were supposed to be kept in groups?

It hasnt eaten a thing since i got it home, and i havent seen it put one thing in its pouches, even tho i scattered a bit of food about? And how much food am i supposed to give it? i give my syrian a tablespoon full a day, not including treats, but this poor little thing is tiny and so skinny, not even an ounce of fat!

erm, any ideas to make its life a little better? ive never had one before!

Thanks in advance, and sorry for such a long post!

haziebabie
01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Aaah bless you for taking in the little critter, hopefully happier times are ahead for him.

I have only ever had one dwarf and lots of Syrians so can't help in that regard. Not sure about the food, it maybe a very old hamster as they do tend to thin out a lot as they age. What are the little ones teeth like? If they get too long or if they are damaged it might be a problem. Not really sure what else. You could try some soft foods for him to fatten him up a bit, porridge, baby food, chicken or tofu etc. I hope someone with some Robo experience will help.

Good luck.

souffle
01-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Well done you for taking on a little one in need :)
They do not eat a great deal so you will not really notice it much. As Haziebaby said they become very thin and lose fur a bit as they age so he may be an elderly ham. You should supplement his food with some small seeds like budgie seed, linseed, lentils and a millet spray and also give a little baby food, chicken, cooked pasta, tofu, porridge etc to help build him up.
Looking forward to meeting your hammies :)

newhamstermummy
01-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Good news! This morning I woke up to it filling its pouches with food Id put in, so thats a good sign, he also let me stick my hand in the cage and pet him, without a flinch!

The only thing I noticed when petting him, was he seems to have a greasy back, possibly where he has been grooming it looks like, theres no baldness but I wouldnt say he is fluffy, also, he keeps making sniffling noises, almost squeaks but not quite, I know they can catch human colds, and I have one at the moment! But could it also be the hay Im outting in his cage? I use it in my syrians cage and he has never minded it.

Anyway! Thanks for replys, Im taking photos as soon as he's awake to show you!

Bunsey
01-20-2009, 07:00 AM
he could just be affraid and depressed and will take a little time to start eating normally. I found that with a couple of my rescues. It's like they've been too depressed to eat.

For the greasy back - try adding a bowl of chinchilla sand to the cage for him to roll in (sand, not dust) :)

p.s. don't use hay for syrians or dwarfs... it very often contains mites and it's a bit scratchy.

hamsterwuvs26
02-08-2009, 11:30 AM
don't worry that much. Hamsters make easier pets when they get older. I would give it soft food like chese to help it eat a bit more. :D
if your hamster is healthy you can tell because it runs around a lot!