PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a daft question, but...

alie
01-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Do all robos end up fighting? Looking at these threads, 90% of them talk about their hammies fighting and having to be seperated.

I have just taken on a syrian boy, but have put my name on the list with the local rescue to accept robos if they come up...

Is it just chance if they fight? Or is it when they reach maturity? When is maturity? Does size of cage make a difference? Numbers in group? What is the best size of housing - eg size of cage per pair? I saw on the cage thread that somebody had 7 robos living together in a living world 1, do they fight?

Sorry if it is a daft question, but having agreed to be a foster/permanant home if needed, I really need to find out what I would be letting myself in for :lol: - would also be good to know I had the right cage on standby; would a Mary do for example? The bar spacing is 11.3mm compared to the livingworld which is 10mm...

cornishrobos
01-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi there!

Good on you for being a potential Robo rehomer!!!

Unfortunately the majority of Robo groups have to be split and it could be for a number of reasons, however in my opinion I don't think you'll ever know a reason why some get on and some don't!! However if do end up with some Robos make sure you have the largest cage you can get/afford, I wouldn't recommend A Rotastak set up!! Make sure you have 1 each of everything, i.e wheels, don't have dishes for food, scatter it around the cage so everyone gets a fair share, plenty of shavings or whatever you use for them to dig in. As for the size of cage, mine started of a Rody cage from Pets @ Home and although it seemed big enough at the time I couldn't fit enough toys in for them to keep them amused, I quite like the size of the Zoo Zone 1 for 2 - 4 robos, it's got a deep tray, so you can give them a generous amount of shavings etc for them to dig in. My 2 Robs that still live together live in a Zoo Zone 2 which is massive but you could keep quite a few Robos in there quite happily, they'd have more than enough space, only thing is the cage takes up a lot of room! Also if you do end up rehoming i'd have a few cages on standby just in case you do end up splitting them - if you did have a pair or group that end up fighting, it can turn nasty quite quick, so to have a spare cage to move one to could save you from having an injured hammy on your hands.

Is the Mary cage for rats, if it's the one i'm thinking of then I think the bar spacing would be fine on it. Robos reach maturity around the 2 months mark!!

Anyway, i'm not sure if this helps or not and i'm sure there are more experienced keepers on here that could advise you more, i've got 5 Robos now but i'm by no means an expert but the set ups I use for mine seem to work, like I said 2 live in a Zoo Zone 2, then we have the other 3, 2 each live in Imac fantasy's and the other in another cage (which I don't like so will be replacing it with either a Zoo Zone 1 or a Duna Deluxe.

alie
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Is the Mary cage for rats, if it's the one i'm thinking of then I think the bar spacing would be fine on it. Robos reach maturity around the 2 months mark!!.

Yes that's the cage...

Living in the south of France with the heat of the summer, I would really like a wired cage, so giving the maximum ventalation.

I have been contacted about a new unwanted litter of Robos, and want to be ready when the time comes...

So, to clarify (and I need to be sure); Could I put baby robos in a Ferplast Mary, bar spacing 1.13cm, cage size 80cm x 50cm x 37cm. If yes, how many. Is it best to stick to even numbers? Should I stick with 2?

selkie
01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
i would recommend even numbers as hamsters are terrible bullies and having one singled out as it were will just lead to tragedy.

mary cage should be fine, basically the smaller the bars the better.

in my opinion, it doesnt seem to matter about the size of a group whether they will fight or not, but id only put 2 in that particular cage. large fish tanks are good for colonies of robos :)

alie
01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks Selkie!

Having told the association that I could take another "cage", and wasnt fussed about the breed of hammie, I wasnt expecting to be called so quickly! They dont seem to have many people putting their hands up for hammies though and are struggling, like everyone else, with the awful xmas present sydrome :cry:

So, to avoid as many problems as possible, I'll stick to 2 in the Mary (having bought one for my syrian Bertie, I like this cage), have 2 wheels, sprinkle food on the ground and have a deep litter base so that they can bury themselves and loads of toys... 2 water bottles aswell I suppose.

Did I miss anything? Do they eat normal hamster food, or the miniture hamster mix? When can the young leave their mum? (gives me an idea when I need to be ready by :wink: )...

I appreciate your help :D

cornishrobos
01-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Sounds like you've covered everything you need, I think they are going to be one group of lucky Robos having you looking after them!! Although I give mine Dwarf Hamster food (which is hard to get hold of in shops, I get mine of Zoo Plus, just wish they did bigger boxes/bags of it) they will eat normal Hamster Food. They also like budgie seed, millet sprays, anything a Syrian would eat really. They also like carrots, broccoli etc but not a lot of it and maybe give it to them once, twice a week at the most!

selkie
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
baby robos need to stay with mum and dad (or just mum) for 5 weeks. i didnt know this when i had babies and took them away at 4 weeks like other hammies. altho they did kill their mum....
maybe i should have left them with their dad tho cos he stopped eating and drinking and died... then the babies died/ate each other and i was left with one called Solo who died too really young! :cry: maybe im not so good with robos i dont know, it may have been cos they were removed from their dad too young.
they were my first robos tho which may have had something to do with it :cry:

just watch them tho, when they fight they are silent, they never announce it like the other species.

i have never seen dwarf food so everyone gets regular with no side effects :D

alie
01-26-2009, 04:08 AM
I have bad news... All the babies were found dead on Thursday evening :cry: I agreed to take the mum anyway, on her own, but she went down hill and the association rang yesterday to say she had died :cry:

RIP little family...

Thanks for all your help folks, it has not been wasted by any means.

souffle
01-26-2009, 05:01 AM
Aww no Alie I am so sorry to hear that. It sounds as if mum either had mastitis so the pups would not have been able to feed or had a post birth infection. Poor little mites.
Rest in peace and play well at the bridge mum and pups - together again. :cry:

cornishrobos
01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, poor little things!! At least you'll be prepared if another group head your way!

selkie
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
im so sorry to hear that. :cry:
at least u tried to help them and the centre know ure there if this situation arises again

alie
01-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Some things just aren't meant to be...My Mary cage had arrived damaged today, so perhaps it was a sign :?

I'd only just got Bertie anyway, and was surprised at how quickly the rescue asked for help. Still, they know I'm here, what room I have and the cages at my disposition...

I've come to love the little robos and am sure I'll have some one day soon :x , in the mean time there's still the 2 dogs, 3 cats, my little lone rat and Bertie to keep me occupied :wink:

Thanks for all your help, advice and the care you show - it has helped alot...

internet_nobody
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Bit of a latecomer to this, and sorry you've lost your babies and Mum :( Sounds like it was just one of these horrible tragedies rather than anything you could have prevented.

In response to do all robos end up fighting, got to say a resounding no. The only group I have ever had to split was a male with 2 females who got beaten up when the girls didn't appreciate the attention. I've had 30 odd robos over the last few years, about half have been middle aged rescues and all have been successfully introduced to others of their kind. I think people hear all to often "oh robos are fine together" and don't take the precautions (multiple wheels, large foodbowls/scatter feed, leaving 1/4 dirty bedding in at clean out) that they would with say WWs.

Ness
01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with i_n, I've only had to split up a few robos before, one was unexplains and the other became clear soon after (as one had become blind).

alot of robos can also be reintroduced when the right methods have been used.