PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal

rebel
01-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I have a dwarf hamster who is 2.5 years old and she's not eating as much hamster food as she used to. I'm wondering if it is okay for me to give her dry oatmeal as well, as I figure this will be easier for her to eat.

Thanks

souffle
01-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Yes oatmeal is fine rebel. You may want to start feeding her some softer food as she is getting quite elderly and it is easier to eat. You could give her a teaspoon of baby food, some porridge, scrambled egg, tofu, cooked pasta, a tiny bit of chicken. We find dwarfs also like budgie seed and millet sprays, chopped nuts and linseed too.

rebel
01-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks souffle! :D

Those are great suggestions! I've been so worried about her because she is quite old and is having a hard time eating. She's also having a really hard time walking- her back legs are very,very stiff, and it seems like she doesn't have much control over them, as she sometimes stumbles side to side, and when they are really bad, she drags them behind her :cry:

It's so hard watching her grow old :cry:

I'm definitely going to try those foods over the next few days!

souffle
01-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Awww she is very old rebel for a dwarfie. They often suffer from arthritis in old age. If you have a hamster experienced vet they can prescribe a very tiny dose of, I think it is called, Metacalm which may help her move better. Seeds with oil will also help and a tiny drop of cod-liver oil in her porridge may lubricate the joints a bit so to speak though some hammies do not like the taste of it so refuse it.

rebel
01-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks souffle,

I'm going to look into Metacalm. So far, I've tried oatmeal (she loves it), scrabled egg (she completly ripped it out of my fingers and devoured it! lol), budgie seed, millet, and baby food. She went crazy for the carrot baby food, but wasn't too keen on the mixed veggies :) I'm so glad she's eating again! She's been a bit more active too and tries to climb onto my hand everytime I open the cage. That makes me so happy! For awhile there she wasn't interested in socializing, but now she's starting to act a bit like her old self!

Thanks again!

haziebabie
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Thats great news Rebel, sounds like your old girl has life in her yet! :D

souffle
01-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Thats fab Rebel. Glad to hear she is showing interest in the new foods and enjoying her retirement again. :D