PDA

View Full Version : plasti-kote oil based

DameAbnormal
01-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Hey guys. I'm worried I've made a huge mistake. My one wheel I painted in jade dry enamel said water based. I then bought tangerine orange fast dry enamel from same seller.

I noticed it didn't say water based and it also said high fumes.

I painted part of the whwel but have now got really worried I've ruined whwel with wrong type of paint. I mailed the seller and he told me the paint is oil based. :(

Is that still safe?

cypher
01-20-2015, 08:47 AM
I've painted quite a few things with that tangerine plastikote & I have to admit I didn't even notice it didn't say water based, I've got another blue one that doesn't either so I guess that's oil based too but I've always checked before buying any colour that it says safe for children's toys which they are so I think it should be ok, be interested in any other opinions though.

DameAbnormal
01-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Yeah I didn't realise I thought all plastikote was water :( plastikote have confirmed this colour. Baby blue parrot green and a few other brush ons are all oil based.

DameAbnormal
01-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Anyone ?
I'm so scared I need to throw all these toys away because it's oil based.
:(

summerdaze
01-21-2015, 02:06 PM
what's the issue with oil based - is it the smell, like fumes being dangerous to a hamster or is the problem if she manages to bite any of it?

if it's the second thing, is it possible to coat over the top a few times with the safe paint you've got?

on the plasti kote website it say:

"If I paint my children's toys, will they be safe?
Fast Dry Enamel products do not contain any hazardous ingredients which would be harmful to children or pets once dry. Fast Dry Enamel is lead free and completely non-toxic when dry."

hope some of that helps
xx

DameAbnormal
01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
It's the eating it hun. Worried what oil it could be and if it's safe to be digested :(

That does help hun. I thought only water one was child safe it was referring too xxx

LavoChain
01-21-2015, 02:34 PM
If it says child safe then I wouldn't worry. It is easily done though as I've bought plastikote in the past thinking it was all safe. Luckily I read the can and realised that it was the fast dry enamel that I needed. Kids eat their toys too, I doubt it would be an issue with hams - especially when most people use it.

DameAbnormal
01-21-2015, 03:07 PM
It is the fast dry enamel I have. Not all of them aare wster based. It's petrolum based I've found a safety sheet. I thought petrolum was toxic :(

cypher
01-22-2015, 12:45 AM
Im sure they can't describe the paint as safe for children if it's not so I'm pretty confident the oil based ones will be ok, the do have a really strong smell though so I always paint things well away from the hams so the fumes can't get to them & leave things to air for a few days until the smell is gone before using them in cages.
I've painted quite a lot of things with the tangerine & a blue oil based plastikote & not had any problems but my hams aren't really chewers.
I'm curious about the spray that I know a lot of people use though as I don't know if that is oil or water based.

LadyPikachu
01-22-2015, 12:52 AM
Are you from SHUK on FB? ;) I've been posting on the same thing on there is all (I'm Kaylee!)

I honestly do think the paint is safe to use :D I have used it and it has no strong smell after a few days drying. I wouldn't put anything in with the hammy for a few days, as the fumes need to disappear. I would never do anything to endanger my little fluff, I'm very paranoid and worried so I understand your worry! :)

DameAbnormal
01-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Hey guys hehe yeah its me !!

Plastikote company haven't been that helpful I sent a mail to US as I've noticed my product has dollars on the side and made in us. They told me none of there products are tested that way for animals or eating once dry they aren't safe.

However the UK response was all there products are safe but I then realised she was referring to all the water base ones. Our guidelines are different or something. Once I sent her the label of the tangerine she was so confused never saw it before n thought all there products were water based..
so she's asking the lab team. The oil is napatha petrolum base and on the data sheet it says it's dangerous and toxic..
hopefully I'll hhear from lab team soon.

Got my fingers crossed as everything is already painted.

DameAbnormal
01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Oil does not evaporate.
Per my previous e-mail, the product is safe as long as it is not ingested. The product is not FDA approved or tested for ingestion.

That's the last email from plastikote.

The UK one is so much more helpful they have asked lab what they know if it's safe or if only water one is.

cypher
01-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the updates, appreciate the info.

DameAbnormal
01-22-2015, 10:10 AM
No problem hun x

summerdaze
01-22-2015, 12:16 PM
I just did a little bit of research and some petroleum-based paints can be harmful to dogs. So, I think you're right to be careful and check it out.

I've actually wondered about normal plastic things - my hammy has an igloo and she once seemed to eat some of it.

LadyPikachu
01-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Well I am glad I only painted her wheel in places she wont chew then! She seems fine with it so I'm not too worried, I have seen many hammy owners use the yellow label one and never heard of any issues so that makes me feel okay about this. :)

If she does start to chew it in those areas which I doubt she will, I will remove the wheel and buy a new one. Thank you for the information :)