PDA

View Full Version : My Hamster Drawings

DanniDorrito
01-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Hey there!

I got a drawing tablet for Christmas which I've really enjoyed. I used to love drawing as a child but stopped as I grew up, I've been interested in picking back up again and I couldn't think of a better way to practice than to draw hammies!

So here's some of my art work so far! Its really not the best but I know I'll improve with some practice! Any constructive criticism will be welcomed!
I've been finding photos of peoples hams that I like and tried to draw them, I send the results to them. I'm not taking requests just yet, need to get a little more confident with my drawings haha.

http://i.imgur.com/VymWYTTl.png

http://i.imgur.com/sx9i28hl.png

Below is my latest art, its one of my own hammies Maizie :)
I'm really loving this cartoonized simplistic look I make them, the more I do the better I should get (hopefully!)

http://i.imgur.com/iYO4Lqg.png

I'll be posting more of my art on this thread, might not be very often though as I just do them when I'm feeling in the mood to draw and color xD
Hope you like my drawings so far!

4Taylor20
01-14-2015, 08:37 PM
those are so good!!!!

Thin Lizzy
01-14-2015, 08:42 PM
How many talents do you have? These are super cool!

DanniDorrito
01-14-2015, 08:54 PM
How many talents do you have? These are super cool!

I laughed so much at this, I don't have any! I have just been winging it and hoping for the best outcome lol!
Thanks so much for the lovely comment!

cypher
01-15-2015, 12:17 AM
These are so cute!
Drawing tablets are brilliant! I can see you having loads of fun with that & creating some really great hammy portraits!

Piebald
01-15-2015, 12:54 AM
Love them! You are so creative. I got a drawing tablet but found it weird and never warmed to it. Now I think I'll get it out again. :) You have a great eye (and hand) for the hammy shape. Try some expression :)

Gazmo
01-15-2015, 04:56 AM
I love it! i totally want it on a tshirt! :D

velma
01-15-2015, 06:36 AM
They're fantastic! Love it! :)

Pebbles82
01-15-2015, 06:42 AM
They are lovely! Can you post the details of the drawing tablet? I've heard of them but don't know much about them.

SquishyHelium
01-15-2015, 06:47 AM
They're great!

AshTheHamster
01-15-2015, 03:04 PM
You should make plastic key chains..

DanniDorrito
01-15-2015, 06:36 PM
They are lovely! Can you post the details of the drawing tablet? I've heard of them but don't know much about them.

I use the Wacom Bamboo Create Tablet (CTH670M) and Photoshop CS6 for these drawings (I bet you could use a free software like Gimp too though). I used Photoshop before for my graphics art so I sort of know the basics on that, I had no clue how to use the tablet and its a little fiddly to start with.

I did a bit of youtube research on how to use it and get a bit more potential out of my tablet, this video below really helped me!

QTBjcuyhmq0

There's a ton of other guides and tips on youtube but I haven't really looked through many, I should really.

For the drawings themselves I pull up a photo which I like the look of. So far I've been trying to stick to easy photos with simple body positions. Then I create layers on top in photoshop and do outlines, hide the photo and clean up the outlines and edit them if I need to. I go over the outlines to thicken them up and then my favorite part is to color in! :p

I've attempted a long haired syrian and that was a complete disaster, it looked like road kill :( I'll attempt it again once I've gotten a little better.

I found the hardest part for me is actually starting a piece, trying to muster up that mojo to sit and draw something has been difficult. Once I've started though I am fine! I just sit at my PC and draw with netfix on another screen (Malcolm in the Middle woo!).

I was trying to give myself the target of one drawing a day to sort of post myself with goals but that didn't work. That last drawing I did I spent about 3 days carefully drawing it all lol. I think I will just work when I get the free time and I feel inspired or something! I'm hoping with each art I post here it will urge me on to do a bit more! I'd really love to open up like a thread where I will attempt to draw peoples hammies for them, just need to get better and faster at drawing first!

Piebald
01-16-2015, 12:14 AM
Thanks Danni :)
Can't wait to see more.

Pebbles82
01-16-2015, 01:48 AM
Thanks Danni! I think they are very clever and look great - animated hammies!

Thin Lizzy
01-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Can't wait to see some more.

Kimberly
04-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Those are awesome! Post some more soon! :D

Artisans_uk
04-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Hi DD - your pictures are lovely, I particularly like the first one, something about it just captures the hamsters' characteristics. Maizie is looking good in your drawing.

I'm sure your own fluffs will give you lots of inspiration and practice...Looking forward to seeing more of your work, have fun with your tablet.

horseyhammygirl
07-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Oh my gosh!!!! They're so cool!! You should print them out and frame them they're so good!;)

Teatime
07-04-2015, 03:03 AM
D'aw! So cute.

I like how they look minimalist, they're simple cute drawings but really well done. :D

I love drawing tablets, mine broke recently. It's so strange going back to normal drawing after using one a lot.

hammy2
07-21-2015, 03:35 PM
You really capture hamster cuteness. Love it have you done any more? :-D

Pumpkin and Peanut
07-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Those are great... I was going to name my new hamster Marble, She is now known as Peanut.

Emma H_amster_
07-23-2015, 12:52 PM
They are good :D once tried drawing with that tablet... lets just say that you draw ALOT better than me xD maybe i should buy one too to learn it :D you maked me want to try it again haha xD idk why but i do draw good on phone better on hand and then pc like the last xD well again well done mate! keep going

Emma H_amster_
07-23-2015, 12:56 PM
btw its good you use layers :D i use sketchbook on my phone i know you can get it on pc too maybe it was something to try drawing on that or Paint tool sai :D
btw on phone sketchbook is really good :D sadly they removed the pro version xD no more layers to me :( only 3 at a time xDD but you can try and give it a change if you like and maybe buy it if you like it :D there should be more brushes and layers if you buy it
. ()_()
\(OwO)/ <-- bad hamster xD
ignore . tho xDD just to maked it be the right place

Nancy's Hamsters
07-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Folks, This thread is very old started in January of this year and DanniDorrito has not been active on HC for quite some time and I pray they are well and just too busy to come on HC and not that they are going through some life hardships. You can locate the date of a thread by looking in the upper left corner about the posters name to see when a thread was last active by the original poster :)

leedsgurl
07-24-2015, 02:19 PM
I was glad to see this thread come up again actually, as it has inspired my to make my own version :)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/leedsgurl_photos/HC/cartoon_max_before_after.jpg

I think mine makes Max look like a guinea pig though :D

Has anyone else tried this? :)

hammy2
07-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Nice. Did you draw this from scratch or use the photo as a template? You can definitely tell he's a hamster :-)

leedsgurl
07-24-2015, 03:22 PM
I just drew a black outline in a new layer (I use photoshop) then filled it in with colour :)