PDA

View Full Version : P@H "Large" Plastic Hamster Home - Review

kittokitty
01-14-2015, 09:10 AM
I currently have 2 Roborovskis living in one of these cages. I'm going to be making them a bin cage - THIS CAGE IS NOT LARGE GRRRRRR PET SHOPS RANTY-RANTY-RANT...

Ahem. On with the review.
(Dimensions: 37.5 x 47 x 55cm)
http://media.petsathome.com/wcsstore/pah-cas01//300/7104252.jpg
So, as you can tell by the dimensions, this cage is too small despite the extra levels. That is probably my main concern. However, that's not all that's wrong with it. It was really difficult to assemble and the instructions were just pictures. Also, the wheel that came with it was too small and I imagine that my Roborovskis would have outgrown it very quickly, although that doesn't matter as it DIDN'T EVEN WORK!

Pros:
- Attractive design
- Comes with some of the essentials and tubes (Water bottle, hut, woodshavings, bedding, sample pack of food)
- Bars to climb on the middle section
- Large bar lid, easy access to hamster and a place to hang toys from
- Deep enough base

Cons:
- Too small!
- Included wheel does not work and is too small
- Relatively expensive - £50
- Difficult to assemble

I would not recommend this cage as a main cage, however if you don't have a pair of dwarves, it would make an excellent and attractive extension to a larger space if you're willing to pay the price and assemble it.

racinghamster
01-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Given that it has upper shelving and areas that pairs could fall out over, it`s unsuitable anyway. There are two choices every hamster owner has and that is to look at every cage out there and make an informed choice regarding cage size and suitability. If price comes into it (and lets face it, that`s why many smaller cages are bought) for only £20/£30 extra, the hamster/hamsters could have a far better living accommodation and money actually saved when you consider the price of some of these smaller cages. £50 for this is overpriced given the large Ferplast Duna Maxi is currently around £70 on Amazon!

The comparison in size and price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-Maxi-Multy-Guinea-Rabbit/dp/B00F5ZZ2R6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421172446&sr=8-2&keywords=duna+multi

RubyDG
01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
£50? Eeek. That's what I paid for my Mamble 100 incl delivery! :-?

AshTheHamster
01-14-2015, 09:43 AM
I can't stand small cages and P@H for that matter most of their cages aren't even suitable for a permanent living area the only time I'd use their cages only if it was an emergency; normal cage broke, vet, moving house etc Their cages are only good for travel or if you have a pair of hamsters/mice and one of them are unwell it'll make a good hospital cage, the only thing I like about pets at home is their variety of goodies for each animal from toys to treats and gadgets.. I'm hoping to be looking for a job there, they aren't bad but their cages are just small and pricey..

racinghamster
01-14-2015, 10:53 AM
I always thought Pets At Home are missing a trick by not stocking large cages like the one I posted a link to and some others like the Zoozone tanks and the Ferplast Kios etc.... It`s fair to say these cages are more pricey, but the caging they are stocking and selling is barely enough enrichment for a small, active animal to not become stir crazy! They are not the only store stocking inadequate cages by any means, but they could lead the way due to their reputation as being one of the largest. It`s a real shame they don`t see this opportunity to make a difference to the small pets they sell.

The cage above is by no means a `bad` cage are there are worse cages out there, but it`s a similar version of the Ferplast cage in the same style. x

Silver
01-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Oh dear more P@H bashing!

I love the Duna Fun for a single Dwarf Hamster, it's plenty big enough & with a 6.5 Silent Spinner & toys it would be a lovely home

I agree the price is high but it's what the manufacturer's say it should be sold at unfortunately.

I would how ever say no to a pair only because it's on split levels & they might fight over who owns the levels, cheeky dwarfs!

xxx

Thin Lizzy
01-14-2015, 10:41 PM
I'm amazed that P@H don't sell bigger hamster cages, I have mentioned this a few times when I'm in, some of the cages are tiny, In fact my pet carrier is bigger!
P@H do have leaflets with RSPCA on it but there's no mention of cage size requirement 80cm by 50cm anywhere.
When I see these cages I get that cold feeling that someone has just walked over my grave.

LadyPikachu
01-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Pikachu had the Large Wire Cage for the first few weeks of her life, it wasn't terribly small and she really did love it bless her, I think she misses the big platform that was in it. It was perfect for taming her, I am tempted to attach it to her Hamster Heaven (Why P@H don't stock those in shop I don't know) but I am not sure if I have the time or patience to deal with the extra cleaning haha! I don't understand why your cage was £50 and mine was quite a bit bigger and was only £30? Strange! Must be because of the plastic/

racinghamster
01-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Their turnover profits will be higher selling small, high priced cages rather than larger cages as it makes business sense to do that, rather than listen to guidelines from an animal charity. If it`s not mandatory, they won`t follow rules.

That`s why it`s better to shop around for a better cage before actually buying the hamster and the cage in the same store. It`s like entrapment! x

Junkfood
01-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Yeah that cage does look too small. Actually, finding a cage that even meets minimum requirements seems like a challenge in my area. Don't get me started. Grrrr.

Abileviosa
01-28-2015, 02:49 PM
I bought this when I got my Syrian, Marina, around two weeks ago!! In the past I've had robos but never a Syrian so I didn't know better, and the assistant in P@H told me it would be perfect for my Marina :( Anyway, I assembled most of it in the shop (as the boxes Marina was given to me in were flimsy and she chewed her way through TWO in a few minutes, the assistant was a bit useless as it was obvious she needed something sturdier, I assume most hamsters would!) I took it home and found that there was no house or food bowl, which was disappointing as I paid £50 for it! Anyway, I overlooked that as my hamster seemed happy enough. Filled it with bedding etc and literally within the first hour after putting it together the highest floor kept collapsing, I realized that she was much too big for her wheel (why do P@H sell "Syrian" cages with such tiny wheels???)
I put her in a big bin container because of the top level collapsing, and took the cage back the next day. Ridiculous that these are sold for Syrians. Bearing in mind my baby was only 8 weeks old so she wasn't even a big hamster. Disgusted with P@H and purchased the large wire cage (which, for £15 less is much better, but still much too small) instead. Am in the process of making a large bin cage for her, and I will be keeping the wire cage as a spare (or an add on!!)

kittokitty
01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
I bought this when I got my Syrian, Marina, around two weeks ago!! In the past I've had robos but never a Syrian so I didn't know better, and the assistant in P@H told me it would be perfect for my Marina :( Anyway, I assembled most of it in the shop (as the boxes Marina was given to me in were flimsy and she chewed her way through TWO in a few minutes, the assistant was a bit useless as it was obvious she needed something sturdier, I assume most hamsters would!) I took it home and found that there was no house or food bowl, which was disappointing as I paid £50 for it! Anyway, I overlooked that as my hamster seemed happy enough. Filled it with bedding etc and literally within the first hour after putting it together the highest floor kept collapsing, I realized that she was much too big for her wheel (why do P@H sell "Syrian" cages with such tiny wheels???)
I put her in a big bin container because of the top level collapsing, and took the cage back the next day. Ridiculous that these are sold for Syrians. Bearing in mind my baby was only 8 weeks old so she wasn't even a big hamster. Disgusted with P@H and purchased the large wire cage (which, for £15 less is much better, but still much too small) instead. Am in the process of making a large bin cage for her, and I will be keeping the wire cage as a spare (or an add on!!)

It's ridiculous, isn't it? Although I wouldn't blame the P@H assistant. Most of them love animals (why work in a pet shop if you don't?), but what they learn about hamsters is usually from P@H training. I feel ripped off too! Even more so when I found out that the Hamster Heaven is just £9 more... GRRRRR!

DrKMcK
01-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Although that cage is not suitable as a permanent home, it is good as a travel cage if you are going to the vet or are staying a few days away from home, and, more importantly, as a hospital or safe cage for a very elderly hamster. I keep 3 small cages around for this purpose at all times. They have also come in handy when a rescue needs immediate help. I am sure the makers weren't thinking in these terms, but there is a use for smaller cages. :-D

kittokitty
01-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Although that cage is not suitable as a permanent home, it is good as a travel cage if you are going to the vet or are staying a few days away from home, and, more importantly, as a hospital or safe cage for a very elderly hamster. I keep 3 small cages around for this purpose at all times. They have also come in handy when a rescue needs immediate help. I am sure the makers weren't thinking in these terms, but there is a use for smaller cages. :-D

True, but I prefer the "medium" cages for that seeing as they're not as heavy - and they're only £30

DrKMcK
01-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Definitely don't spend more than they are worth. :-)

Thin Lizzy
01-31-2015, 09:39 AM
I know the cage you mean, it's not had great reviews in the past.

People that had bought it and had problems with it got a replacement cage.
If you're still feeling peeved off, why don't you phone up and tell them you're not happy with it.
They're really good like that.

kittokitty
01-31-2015, 12:31 PM
I know the cage you mean, it's not had great reviews in the past.

People that had bought it and had problems with it got a replacement cage.
If you're still feeling peeved off, why don't you phone up and tell them you're not happy with it.
They're really good like that.

Probably a little too late now, I got it at Christmas :P

Thin Lizzy
02-01-2015, 06:31 AM
I don't know! They are pretty reasonable when it comes to an unhappy customer.

racinghamster
02-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Pets At Home sold my nephew a small Gerbilarium for the baby Syrian they bought for their son. One of the metal bars came loose, so they took the cage back and guess what? They exchanged it for.....a Rotastak Creepy Castle!! I don`t know what`s worse, a bust Gerbilarium that`s too small or a plastic nightmare!

However...my nephews son became allergic to the hamster and guess who too him in? Me :mad: I then bought him a Savic Mickey 2XL and the Syrian called Boris lived with me until he passed on aged around two.

The moral of this story is, always take back what you are unhappy with. If it`s not fit for purpose, the customer is always right. Especially if your holding the receipt! x

Thin Lizzy
02-01-2015, 08:40 AM
The last thing a company as big as P@H need is bad publicity.
I've found them very helpful in the past when I've not been happy with a product and taken it back.
I spend a lot of money there, the last couple of months really crazy spending lol!
It's hard to go in there and just get what I need, I always come out with more stuff and a lighter purse.

racinghamster
02-01-2015, 09:29 AM
I think Pets At Home do a good service having an in-house vet surgery and an adoption area. As said above, most of the people working there will indeed like/love animals, but sadly lack that extra intuition when it comes to cage sizing and husbandry, albeit basic. I suppose they can only sell what`s the store stocks

I always said pets At Home could be so much better if they (a) stocked a wider variety of caging/bigger cages and (b) had a more stringent sales pitch which might include a print out for potential owners to consider before they purchase their pet. Including things like initial layout costs, what they might expect to pay monthly for food, bedding, substrate and a rough guide to veterinary costs for the animal they are interested in.

These are just some of the changes they could make, but probably won`t.

Thin Lizzy
02-01-2015, 11:48 PM
I'd like to see that also from P@H.
I've always had really good advice and they do care about animals. I'd love to see a bigger range of cages.

Bess
02-02-2015, 05:52 AM
It's worth remembering that pet shop employee's however intuitive they are on pet care and housing sizes, have to follow rules same as everybody else in the workplace. It is a business and if they don't bring in money, the employee's have no job. If they don't follow rules set out by the managers, store owners etc, they can quite easily receive warnings and eventually the sack. Working in the animal sales industry is not easy and not for everyone, it's an extremely difficult balance. Working for a franchise is even more difficult.

I don't work in a pet shop but do work in an aquatics, and I know what our weekly target is - that is the minimum we have to take otherwise we start taking losses which of course puts us at risk of closing and no jobs. This often means we're pushed and under pressure to sell certain stock, whether it's to clear it or for other reasons.

That being said, if you have a particular cage in mind, be direct about it and that you're not willing to budge. The problem is, working in the animal sales industry 95% of customers do not have the compassion nor the slightest desire to get the biggest/best housing for their pets. They want something compact, aesthetically pleasing and often the cheapest thing. Businesses just can't get by on the 5% who go to extra lengths for their pets. No demand = no supply.

You may find pet shop employees going home with dismay every night because nobody wants to buy spacious, suitable accommodation for their pets, so the store doesn't tend to stock it for those few that do because quite simply it doesn't sell. You'd be surprised how frustrating it can be. All businesses can order stock in, so talk to them, ask what they have available that's not in store. If you have the receipt, absolutely go back and talk to them about swapping for something you feel is more suitable. You can still try now. They do have more range of cages, available to order in. Hope this helps. :D