PDA

View Full Version : On His Way

cowgirlskipper
01-02-2015, 04:18 PM
My darling baby boy Humbug passed away yesterday, most likely from a recurring stomach tumor, old age, or a combination of both.
He was a rescue from craigslist, listed as a vile and mean rodent- and if someone didnt come rescue him they were going to let him go outside. I couldn't bear that, so I convinced my parents for yet another hamster( we already had 4) Though Humbug was never much of a snugly ham, throughout taming we were able to have our cuddle times that I cherished deeply.
It pains me that I wasn't there for his passing, as I was celebrating the new year. I am however thankful that he made it through to Christmas so that he could enjoy all of his new toys and treats, if only for a few days.
I first noticed something was off about his behavior on Christmas eve. He wasn't sleeping in his house anymore, preferring to build a small depression in the substrate and sleep there. I wasn't terribly concerned, as this wasn't unheard of in his list of quirks, but I was worried nonetheless.
I attribute his attitude to him being a hybrid dwarfie, who just couldn't understand. All he needed was some tlc and an understanding owner and he turned out to be a great little hamster. I am so going to miss his little face poking out of the substrate, and how he would talk to me when I fed him with his little chirps. Most of all, I'll miss having a dwarfie. My syrian boys are great... but there's just something about an even smaller bundle of fluff to squish on!

As my tradition, I pick out a special song for each of my passed on babies, humbugs song is On My Way- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDtBnTMpltM

It makes me think of his trip to the rainbow bridge- and how I hope he is there free of pain, waiting for me along with Pucca, Nougat, Nalin, Pops, Oreo, Reeses, and all of my other babies. RIP baby boy. </3

souffle
01-02-2015, 04:49 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he had a lovely life with you and was much loved.
Play well at the bridge Humbug x

Erin.R
01-02-2015, 05:22 PM
So sorry for your loss. I feel the same as you, I adore my Syrians but I will always have one or two dwarfs, they have such big personalities.

kyrilliondaemon
01-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm really sorry for your loss :(

DanniDorrito
01-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Sorry for your loss cowgirlskipper, he sounds like he was a wonderful little guy!
I'm sure Humbug is excitedly waiting to meet you again someday!
RIP little guy x

Thin Lizzy
01-02-2015, 08:40 PM
So sorry for your loss, Humbug was rescued by you, cared for and loved unconditionally. He knew that.
I know you weren't there for his passing but he would've gone peacefully.
The wonderful thing about hammies is they have different personalities, different ways of expressing themselves and their own ways of doing certain things. He has reached the bridge and he's with your other hams that have passed over,
RIP Humbug xx

cypher
01-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Humbug sounds like he was a really sweet little guy in his own special way & clearly had a life full of love with you, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Run free & play well at the bridge Humbug.

cowgirlskipper
01-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Thank you all, it really means a lot to me. It makes me sad looking at his empty cage, so after a proper cleanout I will be moving my Syrian JoeJoe into it, as it is slightly larger. Unfortunately that still leaves me with an empty tank, but my parents say no more hamsters, as I am soon going to be in college. *sigh* I miss him so much, but at least he's out of pain. :(

kittokitty
01-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Awwww, that's so sad :(

But still, if you hadn't have rescued him, he could have been eaten by another animal or even get injured and have an extremely horrible death as a very young ham, rather than a comfortable one in a nice, warm cage where he's had a good life, so even if you weren't there to see him go, you were always there for him when he needed you.

R.I.P. Humbug

cowgirlskipper
01-15-2015, 08:25 PM
thank you very much kittokitty-what you say is true. It still hurts, I haven't gotten around to putting away his cage yet. The other day I actually thought that one of the toys in there was him sleeping, but alas, it was just a tube.