PDA

View Full Version : 1/4'' Mesh?

Hekomi
12-19-2014, 08:38 PM
I thought hams weren't supposed to be able to chew 1/4'', or am I going crazy? The other hams never tried, and none of the babies do, but Chai seems to be able to get her teeth around it.

She also chews the metal stand for her wodent wheel, and I can't figure out why. Her bin cage is nice and big, she has lots of chews, and lots of things to do. Probably more behavioural than DIY, but am curious about the 1/4'' mesh.

DanniDorrito
12-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow, Chai really is determined isn't she? Maybe shes wanting to extra cuddles :P
Has there been any changes recently for her to start this? Maybe some disruption or cage moving has knocked her off routine.

Hope you're able to figure it out! x

DrKMcK
12-19-2014, 08:48 PM
I think some hammies just love to chew Hekomi. I don't use mesh, so I can't say what that's about. :confused:

Hekomi
12-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Hmmmm. She's being pretty crazy. I'm wanting to move her back to a tank, I think. I could put Darissa in the bin instead.

The only change is really moving from a tank to the bin. She was never a big chewer in there though.

DrKMcK
12-19-2014, 09:08 PM
It's why I like tanks. :-D But then again, the tops of my setups are cages (tank toppers). Nutmeg doesn't chew, thank God, and Ted E. only did it to get me to take him out of the cage. Almond has no cage/mesh to chew :-D Chai's probably better off in the tank. Most chewers don't stop. At least the ones I had didn't stop. :-D

Hekomi
12-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid that's the case. I love the bin, and I'm really surprised she can get her mouth around it. The squares are quite small. I'll see about switching out Dar, as she never chewed in her bin.

BrainGirl
12-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Yeah, one of mine is able to chew at the 1/4" mesh and it drives me buggy. I also worry about her teeth because it's got to be worse for her than chewing on ordinary bars! I bet it's my fault though: She gets more treats and more playtime when she does it:rolleyes:

Hekomi
12-19-2014, 10:17 PM
I've been trying not to reward the behaviour - it only seems to be on one section, which is the section she can see me at, haha. I might try some cardboard. I moved her wheel to in front of it, but she just pushes it aside.

kyrilliondaemon
12-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Yeah its not that they can't chew it, its that its much harder so most don't... There's always a few exceptions unfortunately :(

Good luck stopping her

Hekomi
12-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Haha, shame. Of course Chai would figure out a way. Persistent gal!

We'll like swap her and Darissa, since nothing I seem to do has deterred her.

kyrilliondaemon
12-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Fair enough, I'm glad you've got a decision :)

Hekomi
12-20-2014, 12:02 PM
I just think it'll end up working better anyways - Darissa isn't a huge wheel runner, but appreciates it every now and then. We're still working on a way to upside-down mount the wodent wheels, but Dar has a comfort wheel, so it would be easier on us too. Not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place, but at least we have the option now! Musical hams :P

kyrilliondaemon
12-20-2014, 12:12 PM
lol have fun, we may have to play that game because of a mesh chewer soon but I'm hoping to avoid it...

Nancy's Hamsters
12-21-2014, 12:22 AM
How close to Pekoe is Chia? Since you have bred Pekoe, Chia may be angry at her new smell and is trying to get attention of you. I've had one find a way to chew the 1/4 inch and she quit when she managed to get her teeth caught and had to wait for me to help her loose(NOT at all fun when the Hamster is scared and screaming.) If Chia was happy in the tank I'd say to go and switch the two girls. Besides you know Darissa will get more treats in a meshed bin from Andrew. Hahaha

Hekomi
12-21-2014, 12:43 PM
She's above Pekoe on a lack, Pekoe's underneath. We're moving her to a bin cage tomorrow and then to the living room, where it will be quieter for her.

Interesting that she would be doing that from the smell! I would really not want her to get her teeth caught, so I will move her and Darissa likely the same time we move Pekoe. And yes, Darissa will like it more... more sunflower seeds!

Hekomi
12-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Everyone got moved yesterday! It was an easy sell, as SO was happy to be able to give Dar more treats... :P Chai is of course doing fabulously in the tank. Dar seems to like the bin? however she is open nesting, right near the corner closest to me, so keeps waking up when I get up. Poor gal. She'll settle soon!

DrKMcK
12-23-2014, 04:09 PM
There's something for everyone! LOL I'm glad it's worked out Komi. It is so much safer for Chai. :-)

Hekomi
12-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Dar is being so funny - she can't make up her mind on where to sleep. I really wanted to move them ASAP, as the story of Nancy's girl getting her teeth stuck is very scary. Especially since we will be gone overnight on Christmas Eve!

My MIL came over and between her and my SO I think Dar had about 25 sunflower seeds. Probably more... At least her diet is good otherwise x___x