PDA

View Full Version : Not the brightest lad!

annc
12-18-2008, 01:29 PM
The more I compare Snowy with my previous hamsters, the more I feel that he is "a bit backward." I posted in the Housing thread that I was wondering about transferring him to a multi-storey cage. However, in the Ferplast cage he is in he makes absolutely no attempt to climb at all! Very occasionally he goes on the wheel, but otherwise just potters about like an old man.

I bought him a sputnik house and a fleece house - both remain unoccupied while he takes the bedding into the corner.

He also has this little deformed tail. Does anyone else have 'slow' hamsters?

souffle
12-18-2008, 01:51 PM
I wonder if Snowy can see and hear properly Annc? Sometimes white hamsters and particulaly the red eyed ones have very impaired sight and sometimes hearing too. He may be nervous about climbing. Personally I do not like my hamsters to climb. I do not think it is natural to them to climb and have had one hurt himself falling only a short way (about 9in). Lots of hammies like to have open nests so don't worry about that. Some hamsters are born with kinky tails. It is a genetic defect and can range from a tiny kink to a severe spinal deformity. It is usually found in the greys. Some hamsters break their tails, usually following a fall so he may be wary of falling now. Try testing him for hearing and sight and see what you think. I doubt he is backward though, just a unique little fellow with a unique character. :)

annc
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
He seems a happy, though lazy, little chap - and after all, he has a dyspraxic owner who doesn't climb!

Spuds Mum
12-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Oh bless him Ann! He will get a complex :lol:
I do have some hamsters who seem a little less 'on the ball' than others, but I just tend to treat it as an endearing part of their own unique personalities.
I too, like Souffle, prefer my hams to not spend time climbing and possibly falling so think Snowy sounds perfectly reasonable and sensible in not wishing to do so :D

annc
12-20-2008, 01:26 PM
He's lovely!