PDA

View Full Version : Bar Chewing Deterrent - another use for toilet rolls

Nynoin
12-01-2014, 12:53 PM
So, I got a new hamster (first in a few years) and she is a major bar chewer. Her cage is too small, and have ordered a new one. Until then I didn't want her biting her bars, I tried a few suggestions but nothing was working, so I thought of this! (sorry for the potato quality)

imgur.com/XzdtY8j

imgur.com/9300MjZ

So far its working okay, she is attacking the rolls like crazy and seems miffed that they are in her way. But its reduced her bar chewing for sure.

All I did was cut the tube down the middle and roll it round the bars. I was going to tape it so she cant pull them off, but cant find my masking tape, do you think double sided tape is safe?

Something kind of off-topic, but im getting a 34" vivexotic for her! They are on offer at swelluk (Only £39 for any uk people!) so gonna do some DIY for extra ventilation. Hopefully she doesn't work out how to pull them completely off before it comes!

Mousenibbles
12-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I would avoid double sided tape in case it rolls and she gets stuck on it- think of it like a glue trap for mice. Ow!

Shannonmcn
12-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I tried the toilet roll thing with Butts and she just chewed bars around them! :D

CeeCee has managed to stick her silly whiskers to the little bit of tape on her ball twice already while getting in, she didn't like it very much but doesn't seem to remember the next time and has a good sniff anyway. I'd avoid tape if you can, especially the double sided stuff. If she manages to pull them off she might get some little accomplishment out of it and have some fun, tape is cheating ;)

Skeever
12-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Threading a piece of yarn through the tubes on the outside side however is not cheating.... :D

Generally speaking, you'd have to keep on top of the situation, and be one step ahead of replacing tubes before they are demolished. Think of it as a game. That stretches out over hours, days, weeks, months..... :p

Hopefully just till the right cage comes along, and he'll see the bars as some schoolkid infatuation ....?

Nynoin
12-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I would avoid double sided tape in case it rolls and she gets stuck on it- think of it like a glue trap for mice. Ow!

Yeah, I ended up just folding them around more so she cant pull them all the way through.

Threading a piece of yarn through the tubes on the outside side however is not cheating....

Thats a great idea! But she is chewing through them so quick tonight, the first ones lasted a whole day, but I have gone through 4 since she has woken up! The new cage im getting doesnt have bars, so I have invested in a lot of chew/climbing toys.

To make matters worse she managed to pop off the tube cover (http://i.imgur.com/9300MjZ.jpg?1) above the rolls just now >.<

morganel88
12-01-2014, 04:02 PM
That is one determined little hammy.... I never thought to do something like this when I had my hammy in a wired cage.... will need to remember this if I ever use that cage again!

Skeever
12-01-2014, 04:34 PM
This.means.war.

8-[

gifinim
12-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Excellent idea Nynoin, that'll give my little bar chewer something different to go at!

Dax
12-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Great idea!
I tried something like this with Hammy..he literally just chewed the tubes and then the bars.

x