PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour change - normal??

McStumpy
12-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this Hamster lark, so apologies if this seems a dumb question...

We bought our Syrian (Toby) about 3 weeks ago. Initially, he was set up in a Rotastak pod, but it seemed way too small and not very robust, so we bought a bigger, more "traditional" cage after 3 days.

Anyway... first week was fine. He seemed very perky and curious, and was awak from about 5pm.

Now... he wakes up about 9pm, and even then seems to doze on his house a lot. He's less active on his wheel, and not as curious as he was.

He's been out in a ball quite a few times now, and has had a play outside his cage in an enclosed lobby (even though he spent most of the time chewing the carpet in one particular corner).

Should we be concerned, or is this normal behaviour? Sadly, our kids are now missing out, as they go to bed just before Toby awakes.

Thanks

haziebabie
12-02-2008, 04:20 AM
It probably just took him a while to find his feet after you bringing him home and I think they all go a little wheel crazed when its new. He is probably very active when you are all asleep, I would try gently waking him, they will get into a routine of waking in time. Just try waking him at a specific time every day with a gentle cage tap and maybe a strong smelling treat. Hopefully Toby will get used to a new waking time soon.

Zeppelin
12-02-2008, 06:12 AM
It depends on the hamster, I have an old Mother who's up the minute anyone comes in the door, I barely catch her sleeping. But then I have a young boy who is always last up is well and happy but just a bit lazy.

McStumpy
12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the responses.

We woke him up at 6pm with a treat, and he's now running around the room in his ball.

souffle
12-02-2008, 04:46 PM
You are doing the right thing in waking him up and training him to come out so the kids can enjoy his company. He can always go back to bed for a nap later.
Once settled in hammies usually calm and set into a routine which does vary a bit with the seasons and the age of the ham. Ours are sleeping later just now with the cold weather and dark nights. He sounds like a lucky hammy to have such a caring family and I am sure he will give you lots of pleasure.
Rotastacs are pretty but not ideal for hamsters especially for access to get them out and tame them. They are too small and stuffy for syrians really though many live happily in them all their lives and as long as it is a good sized set up can work.

McStumpy
12-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks, Souffle. Funnily enough, he went back to bed about 7.30pm and we didn't see him for the rest of the evening. It has also been very cold lately.

Agree with your thoughts on the Rotastack - that's why we changed it for a roomier, boxier cage. The Rotastack also came apart if we moved it, which didn't inspire confidence.