PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye my sweet boys

Erin.R
11-25-2014, 10:01 AM
I have had a bit of a rough time this past month. I have lost Spike 1yr 6months, Smokey 1 year 5 months, Buddy Bear 1yr 3 months and Rebel, 4 months, all hybrids, Bruce 1 year 1 month, and Syrius, 2 months, both Syrians and Lightning my tiny Robo.

Spike was full of energy, loved people and loved his wheel. Spike had a mass that grew quickly into the size of a large marble. The vet removed it and he went on to live for 3 more months.
Smokey was a little terror, for the first year he would hardly let anyone touch him, he would bite very very hard and hang on to your flesh while shaking his head back and forth, he really wanted to take a chunk out of whoever had touched him. But he loved coming out of his house. I would set his cage on my bed, open the door and he would run out. I was always very glad I had picked him because if he ended up in another home he my not have been loved as much dues to his biting. He did grow out of it the last 6 or 7 months of his life but still never wanted to be picked up. He loved,loved, loved to be brushed with a tooth brush even on his belly.
Buddy Bear was the sweetest little guy, he would let you do anything to him. I could not believe no one had adopted him, as soon as I saw him and his sweet nature I knew he was mine. He loved to dig but didn't care for his wheel much, so he had a huge bin with plenty of digging room.
Rebel was a tiny guy. he never grew. He had some intestinal issues but boy was he full of life. He always had his little face in the window wanted to come out to roam around. I wish I had gotten more time to spend with him.
Bruce was a little black ball of energy. He always woke up around 6 pm to insure he was the first one to come out to free roam, run in his ball and have some snuggle time. Bruce was looking older for the past few months, he was kind of hunched and had a little less fur but he still had tons of energy. Sadly our heater went out and even though I was using a portable heater to warm their room up every few hours I am afraid he may have went into hibernation and I tried desperately to warm him back up but to no avail. He went quietly in his sleep.
Syrius was also a sweet boy. I didn't get to know him well as taming had not gotten very far. He did love a good run in his ball and digging elaborate tunnel systems in his cage. He was the only Syrian I have that has ever really cared for digging. One morning I found Syrius laid out flat, in the middle of his cage. He never showed signs of illness so I guess he had a underlying condition.
And last but not least little Lightning. I brought lightning home along with his brother Aries. While Ares grew and had tons of energy Lightning never really did. He didn't want much to do with me but would take a treat from my hand if he was under his bridge. Lightning also went in his sleep, I am not sure from what but some of the signs pointed to a stroke or aneurysm.
As I said it has been a tough month. I try to tell myself that with having a lot of hamsters there will probably be times that I will lose several at once but it doesn't really lessen the sadness. Each one of them were very much loved and I hope they knew it.
Play well at the bridge my boys, you will be greatly missed.
Well after writing this earlier I did not expect to have to write another memorial so soon:(
I found Rex in his forever sleep tonight. Rex was a Syrian and about 5 months old. Rex was very laid back and extremely sweet, he never nipped or reared back or anything. He wanted to be out all the time. If I went into the hammie room and he heard me, no matter what time it was, he would beg to come out. About a month ago I thought I was going to lose Rex he was lethargic, stumbling all over and just looked awful. However the next day he bounced back. I am glad he made it a little while longer.
There may be no connection but 3 of my young hammies that passed away had these newer log cabins ( I don't think i am allowed to say the name), and I noticed some kind of glue on them but didn't think much of it, I really hope it was not these but just in case I think I will stay away from them.

Pygmypuff
11-25-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm so so sorry for all of your losses. It's so awful you lost them all so quickly; it must have been a really tough month and I hope you're okay. I''m here if you ever need to talk about it.

Goodnight, little ones, sleep tight. xx

Skyblue2001
11-25-2014, 10:44 AM
So sorry for your losses

Erin.R
11-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Thank you both very much. I just feel awful. I was a little worried about something in their environment such as a gas leak so I will be checking that out. However, my oldest boy Sammy who is now 22 months now lives in that room and is as healthy as ever.
Thanks again I really do appreciate it.

Nancy's Hamsters
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Hugs to you all at such large numbers lost. I am positive they knew love, and were very happy while living with you Erin.

My first thought was the cold temps of the heater off, and my 2nd was CO2 in the house.

It could be the glue on the log houses too as look at how I lost so many from that horrid bedding from TSC. I'd remove them just to be safe and until you know for sure it isn't them.

May Spike, Smokey, Buddy Bear, Bruce, Rex and little lightening run free and again whole and full of life at Rainbow Bridge.

Thin Lizzy
11-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Erin, what a terrible month you've had, get your gas appliances checked out asap. Carbon Monoxide is s silent and invisible killer, for so many to pass in a very short time is scary and my heart goes out to you.
Since joining HC a month ago, I have cried many tears hearing of such sadness.

I'm sending you hugs and lots of love xx

cypher
11-26-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss Erin, I can't begin to imagine how it must feel to lose so many so quickly & soon after one another.
Thinking of you at such a difficult time *hugs*.
Play well & run free little guys.

Willow Wisp
11-26-2014, 01:56 AM
Oh my goodness, that is just simply awful and you must be totally devastated, I am so very very sorry for your loss.
Play well at the bridge little ones, knowing your human mum loves you all very much xx

DrKMcK
11-26-2014, 07:31 AM
There are no words to convey how sorry I am at such a devastating month you've had. I cannot imagine losing so many furries in such a short space of time. {hugs} {hugs}. Play well at the bridge little furries. You are so missed. :-(

Erin.R
11-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Thank you everyone. They will be greatly missed.