PDA

View Full Version : Hamster personalities

sarah
10-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Isn't it funny and wonderful when a new baby hamster's personality starts to show. I've just been watching my newbie - Tinker - in his cage and noticing just how different his behaviour is to my last hamster Maisie.

Maisie just didn't seem afraid of anything - she used to zoom around the cage and up and down doing monkey bars!! She also obsessively loved biting on the bars of the cage (sadly) which probably contributed to her escape :cry: . But bless her she was very neat - all her food scraps were by her bed and she pooed in very specific places!

However :) little Tinker is very different. He's much more cautious and secretive - spending his time in lots of little hidey-holes! He's still as friendly as Maisie and lovely to handle though. He seems to spend a lot of time in his tubes and toilet rolls. In fact I had to laugh when he ignored the lovely roomy house I provided for him to sleep in and moved into the toilet roll to sleep!!!! :lol: Even funnier is that he's made lots of holes in the bottom of the toilet roll but still sleeps in there - with his little feet and bottom hanging out the holes!!! :lol: Quite a picture!!

Thankfully though he seems to have no interest in biting the bars and prefers to chew the wooden or cardboard toys that I provide. :) I wish he was a bit tidier (like Maisie was). His food scraps and poos are all over the place including my room!!!!

Don't you just love their little ways! Do any of your hammies have any funny or curious ways?

SnuggleHam
10-13-2005, 04:16 AM
My Syrian Gerald has a way of waking up a few times a day to go and check his food bowl.. And if it's not his "usual wake up time" he will glance at me, ears perked, eyes wide and will sit a moment like this, then.. when I say "Hi Gerald" he turns around, food in mouth, or cheek pouches full and bolts back into his purple ham igloo as fast as his little feet will carry him... as if I’m going to disturbed his day time food bowl raid…

On the other hand.. Late in the evening, when I’m ready for bed, if I happen near his bin cage or I greet him he runs over to the door to be let out. He’s happy to see me then! lol but it's usually my bed time!