PDA

View Full Version : help, hamster might have Proliferative Ileitis "wettail

snowboarder_pr
10-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Hello.

I just bought a Hamster over the weekend on Saturday. I think she's suffering from Proliferative Ileitis – “Wet Tail”. When I got her, she was ok and running around her cage and running a lot in her wheel. One day, late Sunday, she just went to sleep and has been sleeping ever since. On Monday when I woke her, she had like a yellow slimy wet stuff near her pee area. She also doesn't eat or drink. I make her drink a little bit here and there because I read they can die from dehydration in 2-3 days and I just got her so she's about 3 weeks old I think. I'm up 'til past 3am so I know she's sleeping even at night. Today she just seems really out of it. I'm worried about her.

Anyhow, if it is Proliferative Ileitis – “Wet Tail” that she has, how long is she going to be in this phase? And is there anything else I can do for her?

~Paige

Update:

Well, I hate this say this but my Hamster Holly is pretty much a goner. I put her in the bedroom where it's quiet. When I went in there to check on her and she was laying on her side and she was not moving. I went to pick her up and she made this weird noise and that's when I noticed that her body tightens up and shakes. She can't walk or stand anymore. It's passed 4am so I don't know what else I can do for her right now.

Last update...

Bla, she's gone :cry:

SnuggleHam
10-13-2005, 04:03 AM
I’m so sorry to hear about your hamster! It does sound like Wet Tail and it usually is a fast killer. I've had two young hamsters purchased from a pet store die from it.

I read in my research into Wet Tail that the mortality rate is near 90%!

It’s most commonly found in poor genetic lines... (Note: young hamsters bought in pet stores) and is usually found in young hamsters and can be triggered just by the stress of moving to a new home!

My first hamster that ended up with Wet Tail was rushed to a vet but despite our efforts she still passed on. So don’t feel bad. Hamsters have a way at hiding any signs of illness, as it’s a natural instinct to protect themselves. By the time the symptoms are noticed it’s usually a full-blown case by then.

I’m so sorry that you had to go through this. It's never easy watching an animal suffer so much.

If you are thinking of getting a new hamster you must first decontaminate all your hamsters cage and toy accessories as well as decontaminate waster bottles (but I would toss that if I were you) and food bowls and the entire cage, bars, plastic and all.

If you have any wooden toys that were in with or played on by your old hamster then toss those too and materials used as a potty. The disease is spread by a faecal-oral route between hamsters.

I've heard that 9 parts water to 1 part bleach is a good decontaminant but other people here might have some good cleaning suggestions.

Emma
10-17-2005, 04:05 AM
There are several causes of acute diarrhoea in hamsters, proliferative ileitis (wet tail) being one of them. "Wet tail" is also sometimes used to describe any diarrhoea in hamsters. It's incredibly common for poorly bred pet shop hamsters to come down with diarrhoea when they're bought home, and they often die from it.

Supportive measures you can take include maintaining fluid intake, keeping them warm and giving suitable antibiotics, but even then the outlook isn't good. You would need veterinary attention asap.

I would inform wherever you bought this hamster from, although they rarely pay attention, it's good practice. I would not buy from them again - I think it's quite likely the same thing would happen again!

snowboarder_pr
10-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Thank you for the replies. I plan to get another Hamster after winter and not to buy it from the same place. When I was young my brother had 2 healthy Hamsters. I hope my next one turns out to be a healthy one. Holly was my own 1st Hamster and I found her unique since she was pure black with pure white. She will be greatly missed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/lil_snow_angel/Random%20Stuff/holly.jpg

~Paige

babyboos
10-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Oh good luck finding a hobby breeder or good quality family run pet shop to buy your new hamster form.