PDA

View Full Version : RIP baby Butts

Shannonmcn
11-11-2014, 06:09 PM
I posted a thread (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/hamster-healthcare/55845-possibly-being-paranoid.html) recently with some concerns about my little syrian. Turns out they weren't unfounded. I spotted diarrhea today and noticed her tummy looked much larger than it had even a few days ago so we went straight to the vet. Vet said it felt like a huge tumor that had likely been growing for a while and had just accelerated. I was worried it was a digestion issue I could have prevented so it's a tiny comfort to know that this wasn't my fault. She was eating and drinking normally and popping her head out for treats right up until we left for the vets appointment so I hope she wasn't in pain.
http://i.imgur.com/E2IfFvsl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xo8P6E2l.jpg
I tried so hard to make her the happiest ham, she was returned to a p@h store at an unknown age and I always said I wouldn't mind if she wasn't here for long as long as she was happy but 3 months is a cruelly short time to get to know such an active, interested, clever little girl. My room looks so empty without her massive ridiculous cage in it and I don't have anyone to monologue to anymore. I decided to rescue a ham to try and help with some emotional problems I've been having and she really made my days so much brighter, just having her to take care of and talk to and laugh at her ridiculous antics.

This (badly filmed) video is her at her absolute best and this is how I want to remember her. I'm convinced she was a hidden genius who just wanted to fall off things all the time <3
http://youtu.be/HMBMWLDgzFo
RIP my beautiful little Butt, Hambutt, Butterbutt, Snickerdoodle, bubsy

Skeever
11-11-2014, 06:22 PM
:( Condolences. I think you nailed it. A hidden genius. One more ham sent on a mission to help us silly humans figure out what's important....It's so hard though, when their work is done. Hope you're OK....

xx

Shannonmcn
11-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks Skeever. I'm not ok but I will be. I think I owe it to her to continue rescuing poor unwanted hams in need. I know she was better off with me than being left in a tiny pet store cage and although I'm really broken up right now it was worth her being happy.

Shana
11-11-2014, 08:06 PM
What a clever girl! She does seem rather gifted, and I'm so sorry you lost her so soon. It's hard when they go downhill so quickly, but at least it doesn't seem like she experienced any prolonged suffering. It's excellent that this experience hasn't discouraged you from rescuing other hams in need - good for them, and for you. Once you've had a hamster, it's not easy to go without one.

Teddy001
11-11-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm so very sorry, Shannon to hear about Butts. You gave Butts the best, and he knows how much you loved him. What a clever fellow, Butts is, and I really enjoyed watching the vid of him. RIP little guy, play well over the bridge. Shannon, may you heal gently. xx

cypher
11-12-2014, 01:20 AM
I'm so sorry Shannon, you did your best for her, she had a good life & lots of love while with you & I'm sure she appreciated everything you gave him.
Play well little Butts.

DrKMcK
11-12-2014, 04:16 AM
I am so sorry about your losing this little love. So, you really weren't paranoid at all. A person gets to know their hammies and when something just doesn't seem right, it's always best to check with a vet. I don't think it would have changed the outcome, just given you more information and validate your feelings about there being something wrong with Butts. What a shame.

However, you took her on at an unknown age, which is a wonderful thing to do. You gave a good life in her last days and weeks. Although it really is too cruel for you, for hammies, that 3 months is several hammy years of a happy life, with Butts being well taken care of and so very loved.

Butts has definitely left her mark, since you are looking to rescue another ham. I'm sure she would approve. Grieve her passing, by all means. But celebrate her time with you too. {hugs} Play well at the Bridge Butts :-( (I do so love that name).

How come I can't see the video?

Shannonmcn
11-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone, she's buried in my mums garden next to little Whiskers my first syrian who I got almost 17 years ago. She's in good company.

I don't know DrK that the vet would have been able to help even if I brought her sooner, lethargy and eating and drinking normally does sound completely innocuous :( I got her there within 2 hours of me noticing something was really wrong so I know I did my best.

I still have my friends Chinese ham for two weeks and while it's painful looking after him without her around it's not as painful as I thought it might be. Her illness was so short that it's easy to remember her when she was happy and healthy and driving me up the walls with being into everything :) I don't think it will be too long before I look for another ham to rescue, my room is just too empty now and she's going to be impossible to really replace

I dont know why you can't see the video. A link might work?
http://youtu.be/HMBMWLDgzFo

If you can see the rest of my channel it's full of videos of her being either very stupid or very clever, there was never a middle ground!

kimlck
11-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Ive watched the video and she was very clever.
Its been a sad week for hammie mums.

Play well Butts xx

souffle
11-17-2014, 06:21 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.
Play well at the bridge Butts x