PDA

View Full Version : Oh Scottiboy, the pipes, the pipes are calling x

Hekomi
11-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Biscotti came to us from another person in our area, and I was just so excited for him to come home. He was such a calm, adorable baby. When we brought him home in May, we had to go on a quick trip through the mall, and so quite a few people were interested what was in our purple carrier!

http://i.gyazo.com/99f686a8303760b60a3da28b779bd030.png

He was always super sweet, even when just a little wee fella. I love this picture, because it shows just how adorable he was. Plus he peed right on my SO right after I took the shot.

http://i.gyazo.com/2ef3a8cf914c01961fd8d123c7991109.png

My favourite thing Biscotti did was trying to fit in his food bowl all the time to eat from it. He actually fit in it for quite a while too! He was a pretty small little guy.

http://i.gyazo.com/6232361105841ec81cc80692ab5c6a0d.png

He still tried to fit...

http://i.gyazo.com/f495ee4ca4744443927de8517394aa46.png

And fit...

http://i.gyazo.com/f8ade124a3917fb0c8f1beecf52894b6.png

And fit...

http://i.gyazo.com/ac942f5686432e98e9f4f382f09e3e2a.png

He always made it work.

http://i.gyazo.com/f84b43dba75d615de34442ce2688e127.png

He had the stink eye mastered. And was the pickiest eater.

http://i.gyazo.com/6b1ef6ce644b58a3ea98cd7d4ad43cdb.png

But his little face could fill me with smiles whenever I saw it.

http://i.gyazo.com/91f8ced1b796dd2455f174f871474390.png

One of my favourite features about Biscotti was this little black dot, right near his lip. You can see it best on this picture. He looooved his wodent wheel.

http://i.imgur.com/mplExkJl.jpg

He liked to snuggle and watch movies with us, and sometimes played xbox with us. Though, he was never any good.

http://i.gyazo.com/06d9094eb898b2dff996fda0775d0067.png

But it couldn't always be great. This is the last picture I took of Biscotti, enjoying some toilet paper we ripped up for his nest.

http://i.gyazo.com/9c890862c051c79373a48387d66fafdd.png

Between October 16th and October 26th, Biscotti gained 16g. At first I thought it was great - he was following the growth spurts he had had since he was little, and he was just 6mo old. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I pulled him out of his house on the 26th, and found a severely bloated Biscotti. My SO and I freaked out, and rushed him to the Emergency Veterinary, as it was late on a Sunday evening. We stayed there for quite a few hours, waiting for our turn. The vet saw him, but didn't know what she could do, as her expertise was in cats and dogs. She could refer us to a place 3 hours out of town, for a huge expense, or try to do x-rays to rule out a blockage, in house. Our main concern was blockage, and right as we were making a decision, he pulled some poops out of his bum and flung them across the carrier. Cheeky bugger!

At the vet's recommendation, we increased his fiber and did a full diet change. However, the bloat stayed the same, and there was no real improvement. I took him to our vet as soon as we could get an appointment on the 28th. She could not feel fluid or gas. The vet gave us some options - we could do x-rays, however I did not feel comfortable putting him under anesthesia, as he was not very robust, or exploratory surgery for a tumor, or treat it medicinally. We opted to take a medicinal route.

It was clear the medicine wasn't working. He began to get more and more dehydrated, his stomach still swollen, but his body losing fat and muscle tone. It was incredibly hard seeing him waste away. The vet believed the problem to be genetic. I was force-hydrating him, and tempting him with every treat I could. I crocheted him a small blanket, and then looped it up like a cup so he could cuddle in it.

On the 4th, I knew it was his last day. He was clicking with each breath, and while he took a sunflower seed, he didn't eat it. There was fluid in his lungs. My SO and I called the vet, making an appointment for that evening to have him put to sleep, but giving him the ability to pass peacefully at home, should he do so. At about two that afternoon, he passed, snuggled in the little blanket I had crocheted for him.

I had spent the morning with him on my lap, singing to him, and talking to him. I told him we loved him, and that it was okay to go - he didn't need to keep fighting. We understood it was his time to go, and join all the other hamsters at the Rainbow Bridge. I am glad he went in his sleep, happily at home.

We buried him at my mum's house, underneath an apple tree, and some purple flowered ground cover. She let me put a beautiful stone bear on top of him, and I wrote his name, as well as Corretto, Nanaimo, and Coffee's, on the back. We read him the Rainbow Bridge, and I spoke to him softly.

I love my Scotti, my Scottiboy, Scottiballs, Scottiottiotti, so, so, so, much. But I am glad he is no longer in any pain. I know I will see him again one day.

---

As part of the medicinal treatment, we did a fecal sample on Biscotti, and found out too late from the vet that he carried three parasites: Capillaria, Giardia, and Entamoeba Coli. The vet said she doesn't usually treat these parasites, and that it's usually only a problem in hamsters with compromised immune systems. However, we immediately tested all the other hamsters, everyone is fine, and the vet assured us we have no reason to believe any hamster was ever in any danger. The parasites simply exacerbated Biscotti's condition. We have taken great measures to sanitize and sterilize everything in the Strong Brew household just in case. The parasites that were found in Biscotti's stool only affect hamsters, and are transmitted from fecal to oral transmissions, or unsanitary water.

The vet believes Biscotti was born with these parasites. The vet said the one parasite, Capillaria, is a parasite that is commonly found in wild mice, in this area. As Biscotti was never in contact with mice, one of his ancestors must have been in contact with them, or their droppings, possibly from being taken outside. For us, this stresses the importance of safety when you are outside with your hamster and for their own safety, I would urge you not to do so in the first place.

---

Rest in peace Biscotti.

BrainGirl
11-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm so sorry x

Erin.R
11-09-2014, 08:00 PM
It is great that he had such a loving home, even if it was a short time to us it wasn't to him. Sorry for your loss, he was a beautiful boy.

Pumpkinsmom
11-09-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm very sorry. :(

NiceCrocs
11-09-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm so sorry for you loss, Hekomi. Play well, handsome little Biscotti xx

Nancy's Hamsters
11-09-2014, 10:50 PM
What beautiful Dedication to a sweet ole Scotti Boy. It's sad he lived only a short while, and that the cause was parasites, but I always try to find that silver lining in every sad event.

I've heard of Giardia, but never the other two intestinal parasites. I was told that outdoor grass grazing was fine as long as the Hamster was well contained and watched at all times.
The Capillaria makes me wonder about escaped Hamsters who gain access to hollow walls which also harbor wild Mice. Lots of information came from Biscotti's untimely death so he did not die in vain, but may have helped save a future Hamsters life.
Did the Vet say if there would be any earlier signs to look out for in a hamster Scotti's age? Or do these parasites attack without notice? IOW could any pet owner or Breeder note any thing to lead them to suspect these Parasites and get a test done to prevent serious life threatening situations?

Needless to say I was relieved to hear no other Hamsters were effected as I assume it is transferable from one Hamster to another by contact with the feces or urine of and infected Hamster.

Hugs to you Hekomi, Scotti is now at peace and is being tended to in the arms of the Lord. Try to remember the good times and not dwell on the bad and Scotti will always be in your heart on silent paws right there forever.

Teddy001
11-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm very sorry, for the loss of your darling little guy. Your memorial is beautiful, photo's are stunning! I've never heard of the parasites, and have learned something new. I've often thought about letting my hams explore the outside yard, but, I'm just not 100 percent comfortable with doing so, as we have birds, ducks, geese. that roam freely.. although, birds do prey on small rodents, but bird droppings, or droppings from other critters that may be found by the hamsters. Just my paranoia I guess. We also have field mice.. so, I've learned a lot from your post.

RIP Scottboy.. xx you are now free of pain, and will be fondly remembered, and missed. Hugs, to you Hekomi, and your SO. You two have been though a lot.. xx

MylosMom
11-10-2014, 12:23 AM
So sad. :( You took great lengths for his health & such a shame his little body was just not built to hang on. You gave a wonderful eulogy for Scotti & honored his shortened life with the fullest of sentiment. My deepest condolences.

cypher
11-10-2014, 12:28 AM
A lovely memorial for your very special sweet little boy, I'm so sorry his life had to be so short but it was a life so full of love.
Run free & play well at the bridge little Biscotti.

Willow Wisp
11-10-2014, 02:29 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you x
What a beautiful memorial you have written for Scotti, who was such a very beautiful boy.
Play well and at peace at the bridge little Biscotti xx

CPalmer
11-10-2014, 02:55 AM
So sorry to read this. A touching memorial. Play well Biscotti x

Hekomi
11-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Thank you everyone. It's been a very sad week. However, as Nancy said, he left us with a lot of new knowledge.

I'll touch on your questions later, Nancy, gotta word things more cohesively, and get through seminars.

Truffle
11-10-2014, 04:44 AM
Aw, poor Biscotti :( I am so sorry that you have lost him, he was such a gorgeous hamster. It was a beautiful memorial and my thoughts are with you. Sleep tight little one xx

Josie
11-10-2014, 09:49 AM
"Brief is life but Love is eternal", play well at the Bridge little Biscotti xxxxxx

souffle
11-10-2014, 09:52 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss. Nobody could have tried harder for him but sadly it wasn't to be.
Play well at the bridge Biscotti and send a rainbow to your family xx

Skeever
11-10-2014, 02:40 PM
:( Condolences. He couldn't have had a better life. A beautiful memorial, worthy of a heart ham. Glad he got to say his goodbyes at home, and move on to the next adventure.... xxx

jemmalg
11-10-2014, 03:09 PM
So sorry Komi, I hope you guys are okay, sending love! Play well at the bridge Scotti xxx

Shana
11-10-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Hekomi. Biscotti was an adorable little guy, and seeing photos of him squeezing into his food bowl always made me smile.

As Nancy said, the knowledge we all gained from your experience is a silver lining. Another part of that silver lining is that you found out about his possible genetic problem before breeding him. He might have saved you from even more heartbreak in the future.

Play well, sweet Biscotti.

DanniDorrito
11-10-2014, 09:11 PM
A beautiful post Hekomi, Biscotti will be dearly missed. My heart broke when I heard the news, you gave him a wonderful and happy life. You did everything you could for him and you took extra precaution to double check your own, he couldn't have asked for a better owner x

DrKMcK
11-10-2014, 09:36 PM
As an American of Irish descent "Danny Boy" is so very familiar to me. It's just perfect for little Scotti Boy. When I saw the second photo my heart broke. That beautiful baby...gone too soon. The little fuzzy who insisted on eating in his bowl, no matter how big he got. Ah, my heart. That last photo, where he looks older than he really was. There is just no real way to say how sorry I am for the loss of this beautiful little hammy. About the only thing I can say is positive about Biscotti's death is that he may prevent another hammy's death, far, far too soon, just as his was. I will no longer allow my hammies to run around outdoors. I'll certainly be more stressed if my furries escape. Who knew that they could come across parasites harmful to them in the walls of the house. I really never thought about the possibility of mice in the walls harming my furry babies. Should one of the hammies go on an extended escape outing, they will be at the vet asap for parasite screenings...for sure. I'm glad to know this info, but why did it have to come at Biscotti's loss? Sometimes life is so unfair. Hekomi, your memorial to Biscotti is just beautiful, and so is are all the photos. I am so sorry for you and your SO for this loss. I just hope there is a dish that fits you at the Rainbow Bridge, Biscotti Boy. :-(

Dusty
11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Your tribute to Biscotti was so so beautiful. That poor little boy, I'm so sorry he had to go through so much but thanks to him the members on here now have a greater understanding of the parasites our little guys can come across, so thank you Biscotti.

Where you described the bloated tummy, desperately trying to get him to eat any treat and finally having to watch him waste away... It gave me a huge lump in my throat. This is exactly what happened to my little Dusty, who was only 9 months old when he died, he was a skeleton in the end. Its heartbreaking to watch them waste away so fast, and to watch your beautiful healthy boy become so drained and tired, it must have been so hard.

RIP little Biscotti. At least there is no more pain and you can run free forever. xxx