PDA

View Full Version : Utterly Confused

skucki
11-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Hey guys,

I'm confused. Most people agree that cedar and pine are dangerous for hamsters, yet many people use them to make their cages.

A little help please? I'm getting my cage made out of wood and rejected pine for plywood... Or any other suggestions would be truly appreciated...

Thank you.

NiceCrocs
11-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Pine and cedar SHAVINGS are dangerous, due to the oils and dusts in them, if they are not kiln-dried.

Pine in it's solid wood form is safe, and can be used to make cages like you describe. I'm not sure about solid cedar tho, I know it has natural repellant qualities that may not be great for hams.

BrainGirl
11-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Cedar is higher in phenols, the reason it's used in linen chests to keep moths away. Pine, especially clear pine, that's been kiln dried is normally fine. Though I have occasionally found some extra resiny pieces at the lumberyard. I just avoid those. Plywood, unless you've selected the (very expensive) low VOC type can give off fumes from the glue used to hold it together. You might want to let it sit in a well-ventilated place for a while to off-gas before you use it.