PDA

View Full Version : Rotastack Cages - Review

AmberAutumn
10-31-2014, 07:54 AM
I've had many Rotastack cages in the past, and I am still using them for hamsters today.

I've not really had any trouble with them-they've also lasted me for eleven years with out any problems-apart from a couple of escapee hamsters, but that was mostly down to me being young and unobservant, and unfortunately not securing the cage properly.

One thing I would say however, is I would not recommend that you buy a Rotastack cage without the intention of getting attachments (another cage and tubes). One cage on it's own is much to small-for both dwarf and Syrian hamster species. However, combining cages together, for example, the Super Pod and the Maxi Tunnel of fun and the Maze, makes for a safe and fun environment for your hamster to run around and play.

The cages come with everything you need for a first hamster- a bottle, food dish and wheel. Although, the wheel might be a little small for Syrian hamsters, and I had to replace mine with a new one for Autumn. It can be a pain as your hamster might pee, eat and sleep in the wheel, which means that you will constantly have to clean it, and be woken up at night with the food store rattling around! On the plus side, your hamster will feel safe in the wheel (and tubes) and use it as an extra hideout, and it is generally whisper quiet.

I have recently replaced my Super Pod, and another con is the fact that the new wire part of the cage is made up of really thick wire. Although this means the cage is secure, it's a mission to close it properly and makes a heck of a noise when you do this, which can be a bit scary for a new hamster.

Also, the bungs can become lose if you've had the cage for a while, so be sure to replace these when you notice this-especially if your hamster likes to chew!

On the whole though, these cages are bright and colourful, with a selection of great designs specifically with the hamster's needs in mind. As stated above, I do not recommend that you buy only one Rotastack cage-buy two or three and join them together to give your hamster plenty of room and space to run around!

I kept my dwarf hamster Otis in 4 joined cages, and he absolutely loved them. Although he couldn't climb vertically, I attached a Rotastack mouse ladder to one vertical tube, and that suited him perfectly.

Being a long-time user of the Rotastack brand, I highly recommend these cages. Just be observant if you are new to owning a hamster and new to setting up a cage with tubes and bungs.

Autumn (my long-haired Syrian) is settling in to her Super Pod, and tomorrow I will be taking her back to my uni house and will be attaching the other cages together to make an extra large home for her!

I hope you enjoyed this review!

~Amber and Autumn.

SinNyx
10-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Most hamster owners on this forum disagree with modular cages, as do I, I've have over 20 hamsters this year alone and find they do better in cages with space rather than modular cages. Most of the hamsters were also rescues previously living in them.

In general, this forum goes with the recommended RSPCA cage size, which is 75x40cm of unbroken space, something like an Alaska or Hamster Heaven.

When I first brought a hamster home in a pod like yours, I knew immediately it was too small. Especially the wheel, Syrians need larger wheels and toys than Dwarf hamsters and it can be impossible to fit a correct one into a modular cage.

They can also be a pain to clean, and with new hamsters, they may not want to come out with tubes etc to hide in.

NiceCrocs
10-31-2014, 08:00 AM
Rotastacks are not suitable cages, in my mind and in lots of other members' minds. They're too small for any hamster, no matter how many attachments you have. Hamsters do better in one large area that they can create their own burrows in.

If you have a syrian, there's no way a rotastack can fit a big enough wheel. Syrians need at least an 8 inch wheel, many need an 11 inch one. A syrian running in one of those teensy rotastack wheels will quickly develop painful back and hip problems from arching for hours on end, if they don't stop using the wheel entirely from the pain.

becky1412
10-31-2014, 09:51 AM
I also feel a big cage with continuous floor space is best there can be plenty of places to hide in a cage like this if you provide them, they are far easier to clean and when hams get older they may find it difficult getting around in such cage.

RedSky
10-31-2014, 10:17 AM
I personally don't have a problem with using a rotastak or habitrail cage alongside an actual cage. It is often easier to attach to a bin cage or another cage with tubes but with some DIY it could be attached to any cage. But for me there has to be conditions.
The hamster has to be safe and healthy in them, my Syrian came in a rotastak and I won't give her tunnels because she can't safely move around in them, one of my dwarf hamsters is okay with straight tunnels or one corner but two corners (a U bend) close together and she will set up camp there. Too little ventilation mixed with bedding, wee and poo and then bringing in food isn't good for her and if hard to clean and results in a smelly hamster.
My blind dwarf, well that says it all, she seems to have other stuff going on with her and struggles to navigate too well around her cage as it is but LOVES to burrow.

My others all have similar things in which they work in some ways but not others and this was supposed to be a short post to say that they can work when connected with a real cage or for playtime in a play pen but I would never used them even a 100 of them connected for an actual cage.
I also wanted to say I prefer the habitrail OVO to rotastak, IMO they are just a bit sturdier, and I can use the lack of ventilation in an OVO (opposed to bars with a Rotastak) to my advantage to make a garden for my hamsters for play time or to add on to their cage. I also use the OVO large pods as travel cages for my gerbil or Syrian and the smaller travel/nest pods for my dwarf hamsters. They aren't perfect and if my dwarf is going somewhere for a longer time I take the larger pod, and the larger pets get upgraded to a smallish bin cage (about pet shop hamster cage size).

Pebbles82
10-31-2014, 01:09 PM
I can see how enthusiastic you are about them from your review AmberAutumn and I used to feel the same way! I bought a rotostak space command for Charlie before we picked him up and I thought it was quite big. I personally loved the modular design and especially the water bottles in their little made to fit units. But within 3 weeks Charlie was getting too big for the tubes and was struggling to get out of the vertical ones. He also seemed to sleep a lot and chew the small bars on the round unit a lot. I realised he had no option but to use the tubes to get to the unit with his food in, so rearranged it so he didn't have to go through the vertical tubes, started reading up about hamster cages, and ordered one in the middle of the night to get there two days later. It took him a couple of weeks to settle into the new 80 x 50 cage, but then he was like a different hamster and seems much happier and more settled. The main thing I realised was the 6" wheel was way too small, although I know you said you have a bigger wheel in one of your units. I am also now of the opinion that they are not suitable for Syrian hamsters. And would never want to risk a hamster getting stuck in a tube again - it was upsetting seeing Charlie struggling to get out of a tube. I think even if it is a small syrian, they could get stuck if their pouches were full. I also think they need more airy space. I was going to get an add-on cage for the rotostak unit but as the tubes were an issue I just went for a big Savic Mickey 2XL cage. Charlie now has a nice big dark house in it, a tunnel, a branch to climb, a 12" wheel, two sputniks and a sand bath. I think his environment is so much better in one big unit than the Rotostak. Sorry you've had us all disagreeing, but I believe the thought is that a big cage is better.

RedSky
10-31-2014, 02:57 PM
What I would love is a big version of a rotastak or habitrail. With each main pods being sort of 100cm by 50 cm and bedrooms or travel pods being of various sizes and the tube being rat/ferret sized and horizontal or slight slopes. I would try to run them all over the house for my Rolo.
Speaking of Rolo (my Syrian who came in the Rotastak) she has decided her Zoozone 2 isn't big enough anymore and is desperate to chew her way out. She is chewing anywhere she can get a hold, so don't think we have long left. We're building her a vivarium style cage with more airflow and depth for substrate.

becky1412
10-31-2014, 04:20 PM
RedSky if you design a cage like that or find a cage like that let me know I'll be first in the line to buy it! Make sure the tube are well ventilated and we're good to go

Pebbles82
11-01-2014, 03:23 AM
I also think rotostak would be good if they made BIG tubes and BIG units! Maybe an 80 x 50 base with good ventilation, and good height and rat sized tubes plus other units to attach. but thinking about it, an 80 x 50 base with good sized ventilation and height is basically an aquarium! But an aquarium with modular tubes, a 12" attachable external wheel. Basically all just a lot bigger!

toby
01-02-2015, 06:45 AM
I used to have Rotastack years ago. Wanting to build it as big as I could for my hammie just made it more difficult to clean. Just cant win lol.

kittokitty
01-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Hamsters need a continuous floor space, so even a network of rotastacks or critter trails or any other modular cage would only serve as an extension to an at least 80 x 50 cm cage.

kittokitty
02-15-2015, 09:23 AM
oops double post