PDA

View Full Version : c&c cage?

ceddar
10-24-2014, 07:40 PM
I was wondering if I could make a c&c cage for my hamster....

if I mesh the sides so she can't fit through the holes and I would make a lid so she can't clam out, then I would find a way to keep her bedding in so it doesn't fall out. would it work? if not do you any other easy DIY cages other then a bin cage ( shes all ready in one but I don't like It)

greysome
10-24-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm in the process of making a partial (it'll be the "first" level) cage for my hammie that'll lead to her current bin cage (which will become the second level). I'm new though so I can't help you too much but in my case, I'm using chloroplast for two sides of the cage in addition to the bin/container. The front and one side will have the meshed cubes.

As for your bedding falling out--I was able to find the storage cubes without the grids--it has metal frames but a solid plastic middle that would probably help. I can't remember the name of the brand I got off the top of my head (if you're in the US, I got it at Michael's on clearance) but it's pretty much a larger version of this in another color and with doors I can add to it if I want:Honey Can Do Storage Cubes (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-3pk-Storage-Cubes-Translucent-Blue/17108698)

The plastic itself makes me nervous since while it's good for storage, it's thin and I wouldn't trust it to keep a hamster inside. If you go that route, I'd consider reinforcing it with mesh or something as well. The plastic will help keep the bedding in though you'll probably not want them in the front of the cage since I don't know if they come in clear (mine is mostly opaque) and though there are gaps between, ventilation would likely be an issue.

That said, if you can get extra chloroplast cheap or have excess, maybe you can use it to lengthen the height of the sides to help keep bedding in?

ceddar
10-24-2014, 10:29 PM
ok thank :) ( I think im going to make a cage like BudgetBunny form youtube made)

dave123791
10-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Have you thought about a vivarium. http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/cage-reviews/53973-vivexotic-repti-stax-34-vivarium-hamster-cage.html

That's what i will be doing. The viv is about £45 so not very expensive. But obviously you need to make extra ventilation.

There's also the option of Ikea detolf. I recommend looking in the let's see your cages from January 2014 thread.

Or maybe an Ikea lack?? ErinsHamsters has a video on this. The price for making this is £50-60 so not very expensive

2LittlePuds
10-25-2014, 02:51 AM
Yes, vivariums are fab with a little modification :) i love mine :D

Ive also seen people convert book shelfs, display units, sideboards etc, which would be quite cheap if you already have a piece of unused furniture that could be used.