PDA

View Full Version : Regretfully

SquishyHelium
10-22-2014, 06:48 AM
and with a very heavy heart I must report that yesterday Domino was put to sleep. I am heartbroken - for the third time this year - and I miss him so so much. A shining star in my sky has gone out.

He'd been in reasonable health (as a hammy can be at well over two) until last weekend, when I noticed he was losing weight. On Monday I noticed his stomach had swollen so took him to the vet at the earliest opportunity.

She had a feel of his stomach and confirmed the swelling was gas but also found a lump higher up inside his abdomen which she suspected was cancer. When she touched it he was obviously in pain. She gave me the option of attempting to improve his condition with antibiotics and pain killers, but there was no question for me of prolonging his suffering when I knew it wouldn't help.

I had a little time with him to tell him how special he was, how thankful I was to have adopted him a year and three months ago and to tell him for the final time, just how much I loved him.

Then he was freed from his pain. When I came home, I held him in my hand and he looked so very peaceful I knew, no question, that the right choice had been made.

I don't believe the heart ever truly heals from losing someone so special. I believe each of my little furries, when the time has come for them to depart, takes a piece of my heart with them and keeps it safe, until we can be together again, at which time my heart will be whole once more.

Sleep well, my angel.

RIP Domino x x x

Wexland
10-22-2014, 06:50 AM
Such a gorgeous little chap. So sorry for your loss x

cypher
10-22-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, he was obviously very special to you & I'm sure he knew how much you cared for him.
Play well at the bridge Domino.

Josie
10-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Play well at the Bridge Domino, you will not be forgotten xxxxx

Willow Wisp
10-23-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm sure Domino knew how much he was loved.
It must have been a very hard decision for you to make but you put his welfare before your own and that speaks volumes.
Play well at the bridge little Domino x

ANGELBABIES
10-23-2014, 12:16 PM
You are right SquishyHelium - they take a part of your heart with them, but leave a part of their heart with you. As long as you fill this heart with love, they are never far away from you, and one day you will all be one again. Take care. Run free sweet little man xxx

SquishyHelium
10-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. It means a great deal to have the support and comfort of this wonderful hamster community xx

Bailey93
10-24-2014, 06:11 AM
So sorry for your loss. :(

souffle
11-17-2014, 06:38 AM
I am so sorry. He was a real character and a beauty.
Play well at the bridge Domino x