PDA

View Full Version : "I just want to break freeee..."

arikata
11-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm a little bit worried about my long haired Syrian Rhys as he seems to always be looking for an esape route! I know that this is a common thing with hamsters, they love to have a nosy around your living room but he seems to never be contented! For example, when he is in his ball. He has chewed off all of the clips which join the ball together which I've never had a hamster do. He will work his way into the corner of the room and position the ball so he can have a good old chew on it. It's barely held together with half a mile of tape!

He also chewed his way out of a zoozone which means I've ordered him a bigger wired cage in hopes he can't chew his way out.

I handle him for a while everynight, usually about 30 minutes whilst I watch TV, then he goes in the ball for 20 minutes, back in his cage and then I let him come out to be handled again if he's chewing the door. Usually when I put him back he will use the loo before pestering to come out again. I normally end up putting him in the bath with a load of toys if I'm trying to do some paperwork or something. He just doesn't seem to want to stay in his cage! I got him a wodent wheel today which I'm hoping will aid in persuading him to stay in his cage when I've gone to bed.

When he does escape he will have a toddle around the living room before running back over to me if I'm sat on the floor which I'm grateful for as he's never out of sight for more than half an hour.

Am I doing something wrong? Please someone give me some advice to make him want to play in his cage for the night and not on my living room floor!!x

n_t
11-15-2008, 02:35 AM
get him some chewy toys and stuff he can play around with in his cage! my mink banded syrian is always trying to escape lmao but he loves those hang on treats you can get and as soon as i turned his second floor in his cage into a playing area by pouring charlie chinchilla sand into it he always digs and rolls around in it! for my female silver-white LH syrian i've got her one of those logs that looks wooden but its really edible and they can just chew on it and eat it. try one of those! they work wonders lol. if he's always trying to escape then maybe it's just a habit you can do anything about it like when a hammy chews on the bars. i guess hammys will always be curious lol. try not to let him go for more than 20 minutes without acess to his water and food. hope this helps..what im trying to say is maybe he is just reallllllly curious and not trying to escape...just wants to "see" what is out there :mrgreen: thats how i like to think of it :D

arikata
11-15-2008, 04:19 PM
The robos are all perfectly happy just playing in their cages, given the choice they would rather stay in their homes. I will dish out some more of the hanging treats when his cambridge comes (hopefuly Monday). Thankyou!!