PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard Penthouse

DelinquentHamster
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
This is what you can do with cardboard (without any glue) and with lots of time :mrgreen:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll213/delinquentdog/hamster%20related/DSCF1552.jpg
I made it in preperation of my two little Roborovskiis which I'm getting (very) soon 8)
The top floor is open ended so I can put it next to a shelf and they can slide/go down the toilet tube. For a second attempt at cardboard hamster houses, I'm quite pleased with it, but any suggestions for the next one would be great :)

And here it is, sat in my Rody hamster cage to give a sense of scale --
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll213/delinquentdog/hamster%20related/DSCF1557-1.jpg

stripeybea
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
yay *waves* hello amy :D
it looks great your robos are going to love it when you get them.
not long now till friday :mrgreen:
i still cant believe that you made it and put it together without any glue :shock:

DelinquentHamster
11-04-2008, 11:12 AM
i still cant believe that you made it and put it together without any glue :shock:

:D I managed to make it without any glue (or cellotape) by cutting out slots for the different bits of the house. And to keep it from pinging apart I had to add in an extra dividery bit - and cut a hole through it so the Robos could get to the end bit of the house.
I think doing origami helps when making something like this :)

stripeybea
11-04-2008, 02:25 PM
wel after seeing your cardboard penthouse DelinquentHamster i just had to have a go too.
so here is my attempt
from the front
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/stripeyfay/DSCF2423.jpg
the inside of the bottom level
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/stripeyfay/DSCF2419.jpg
inside of the top level
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/stripeyfay/DSCF2424.jpg

DelinquentHamster
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Aww too cool :mrgreen:
I really like the little tree on the side, and the tube from the top to the bottom :D
(I didn't even try adding one in seeing as I'm fairly sure that Robos don't like tunnels :( )

souffle
11-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Those look superb. When the hammy trashes and chews it they get a brand new design too which will keep them stimulated and interested. Well done. :D

DelinquentHamster
11-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Those look superb. When the hammy trashes and chews it they get a brand new design too which will keep them stimulated and interested. Well done. :D

Thanks :mrgreen: I hope they don't eat them too quickly or I might be hard pressed to make new ones :)

leedsgurl
11-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Wow these look amazing! and such an excellent idea, I'll have to try to make one :D

happysaz133
11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Wow thats just amazing, I should make something like that!

pophammy
11-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Wow those are both amazing! I'm sure your hammies will love them! :D

arikata
11-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Aww too cool :mrgreen:
I really like the little tree on the side, and the tube from the top to the bottom :D
(I didn't even try adding one in seeing as I'm fairly sure that Robos don't like tunnels :( )

I've made stuff like this before (but not as cool looking!) for my robos and they all love them!

DelinquentHamster
11-16-2008, 03:19 AM
I've made stuff like this before (but not as cool looking!) for my robos and they all love them!

Cool (and thanks) :mrgreen: I havn't managed to leave this in for FeatherDuster (my robos) yet, as the Rody is to small for it and their other toys. But I'm planning on making a 64l bin cage for them this weekend :)

Treacle_08
11-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I have made a house for treacle but in order to cut the cardboard I had to use a stanley knife.. what did you use to cut yours? All the edges seem to be freyed/riped but in the pictures yours seems neat lol

DelinquentHamster
11-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I have made a house for treacle but in order to cut the cardboard I had to use a stanley knife.. what did you use to cut yours? All the edges seem to be freyed/riped but in the pictures yours seems neat lol

I used a scalpel blade - which I bought for not very much from a craft shop. To make sure I didn't murder the surface the beneath the cardboard, I cut everything out whilst leaning on an old mousemat (cheaper than an actual cutting board made from rubber). I also cut it pretty slowly, using the top half of the blade and pressing down rather than along the line I wanted to cut.

I hope that helps :) (I'll make a tutorial type thing about making one of these once my robos have trashed this one) :mrgreen:

arikata
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
You could probably sell a flat-packed version on ebay :D

DelinquentHamster
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Now that... that is an idea I could run with. So in all seriousness - would anyone like to order their very own - made entirely of cardboard - hamster house. E-mail/private-message me if you would like me to make for you. Doesn't cost much more than the postage that it would take to send it to you - prices are negotiable :mrgreen: (I'm serious!)

mai_roberts
11-21-2008, 09:43 AM
that is a fab idea :D x
Im going to try this, for when i look after my mates hammy :) x

j-alexandria
12-29-2008, 02:03 PM
That's so cute and neat! I wish I was that creative lol. :P

Fidgetthefirst
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Thats amazing! I try all the time with cardboard but i give up, because i have no paitence and well. Yeah. Cardboard takes the mick to cut.