PDA

View Full Version : Rest in peace, Captain Hubert

Bailey93
10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Hubert went to the vet today for his second lime sulfur dip to treat his ringworm. After his dip, he was in the process of drying off, and he was found laying on his side. They gave him oxygen and continued the supplemental heat. He coded and they tried CPR, but he didn't make it.

That's all I can say for now. I didn't realize how attached I was to the little guy.

BilboOlaf
10-03-2014, 11:13 AM
All I can say is I'm so sorry that you lost him like that.

Sending you a hug. X

mrsroth
10-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Such a sad way to lose a fury friend *hugs*

cypher
10-04-2014, 12:43 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, that's a hard thing to have to go through.
Play well at the bridge little guy.

Bailey93
10-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Yeah, it was so unexpected. There was no sign of him being unwell except for his skin condition.

I opted to not do a necropsy, so we'll just watch Kendalia closely even though they were never together. The doctor suspects he had some sort of GI problem because his abdomen was very taut and felt grainy when they looked closer after he died.

We're going to bury him tomorrow. Poor little guy was dealt a bad hand. First he was picked on, then had ringworm, then diabetes, and then we seemed to be getting his health under control he collapsed. The vet suspects the stress of getting the lime sulfur bath probably brought forth his underlying problem.

Yesterday was absolutely exhausting..now I need to throw out everything of his I can't disinfect, and then disinfect what I can.

TraceyH
10-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry you lost him. You did your very best for him though.

Bailey93
10-05-2014, 12:57 PM
I gave Hubert a sprig of millet (his favorite treat) and buried him a few minutes ago. He is already missed.

To honor Hubert, we will be giving a home to a new rescue hamster, if he is still available. He is a Djungarian male and is 2 years old. He is in dire need of a nail trim and is very nippy.

I will post a few photos of Hubert later today. Thanks for all your condolences.

Bailey93
10-08-2014, 04:13 PM
A couple pictures of him when he still had fur.

cypher
10-09-2014, 01:00 AM
He looks such a sweet little guy in those photos, you must miss him terribly but have lots of happy memories too.

Willow Wisp
10-09-2014, 01:23 AM
That's so sad, I'm so sorry for your loss, play well at the bridge little Hubert x

Bailey93
10-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I had him only a short while, but I miss him and will remember him fondly. He's the guy who got me started on hamsters!

souffle
10-09-2014, 07:36 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes an illness is just too much for such frail little ones.
Play well at the bridge Captain Hubert x