PDA

View Full Version : Timid hamster.

Carlea Skunkrawk
10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I've had Gizmo about two weeks now, and he really isn't terribly friendly. I wouldn't say he isn't tame...he doesn't hiss or bite. He is completely frightened by me. He won't let me pick him up, handle him... I barely have enough time to get him in his ball before he starts squirming. What should I do?

leafpool14
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, the only thing for it is patience. I suggest placing your hand in the tank/cage everyday, to let the hamster smell and explore, but DON'T pick him up right away, you need to win his trust first. You can start placing sunflower seeds and other treats on your hand for him to eat, soon enough he will want to sit on your warm hand to eat. Then you can start cupping him up with your hands (so he can't jump, and will feel secure) to pick him up, and let him run around in a ball, or play-pen somewhere fun for him. His will think of your hand as what gives him food and what lets him play and have fun. Soon enough when you walk past the cage/tank he will be running up towards you to be played with :wink:

Carlea Skunkrawk
10-31-2008, 05:49 AM
thanks!

n_t
10-31-2008, 03:12 PM
i'd say the same, that it takes a lot of time. when i first got my hamster he would jump at the sound of me breathing out! but now it's been three weeks i've had him and when he sees me approaching the cage he is always trying to get my attention and tried to climb over my wrist to escape! dont give up hope! keep up with treats and very very soft voice!

leafpool14
10-31-2008, 03:17 PM
The funny thing is, is that I managed to hold my pet shop hammy on the first day I got her and she didn't bite me and has never bitten me! She was very obedient when I handled her and has never been scared of me. It only took me 4 days to properly tame her and she lost her nervousness too :D

All hammies are different :P