PDA

View Full Version : Adopting another Syrian....

zara825
10-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Wasnt sure where to post this topic-so apologies in advance if it would be better suited elsewhere!
This weekend my partner and I will be taking in an abandoned syrian. Apparently 10 in total were dumped together in Greater Manchester, and were urgently seeking homes.
I called the lady, and there are 3 left, 2 girls, one boy, age unknown, but the lady reckons they are adults.
Now, I currently have 2 male robos and one male syrian with me at the mo.
My question is about my male syrian. He is roughly about 3 months old (8 wks ish when i got him, had him for about 5 weeks now).
Obviously they wont be in the same cage, but all my boys live in my spare room. Would it be better to adopt a girl or a boy? I dont want him to get domineering if i bring another male syrian into our home, but I dont want his hormones to make him crazy if I bring home a lady?
Or am I reading too much into this, and does it not matter at all?
While I want to give one of the abandoned hammies a loving home, I love my other syrian to pieces too, and want to do right!
Sooo, anyone got any advice on this-I've never kept more than one syrian at once, so I havent a clue.
Oh, also, if it makes a difference, the adoptee will be nowhere near my syrian, opposite side of the room-maybe 3 meters away, on a shelving unit above my robo bin cages.

Thanks!

souffle
10-28-2008, 06:46 AM
I don't think it makes any difference if they can smell another male at all. All ors are in the same room and the only thing we find is that one male will chatter if you handle him after handling another male so it is best to wash hands well between handling. Our males however do get rather hyper when a female is in season and acrobat all over the cages trying to get to her. I would say that is more stressful for them that the distant scent of another male. They soon get used to it as all the scents intermingle. Good for you taking a rescue. Looking forward to meeting him. :D

zara825
10-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the advice, i have called to reserve the male.
I dont want an escaped horny hamster running around!
Yeah i figured hand washing would be a big factor in between handling, it was more the scent in the air i was worried about. I recently learned it is not a good idea to wear strawberry chapstick when handling a hamster. Classic error!

I saw the ad online for the rescue hamsters, how someone could just dump them I think is awful. I also saw a story of a little robo who was found in a park in north London, just dumped in his cage, and was found by a passer by. Its so sad.
I wish I had the space to have all of them.

Thanks again for your help!