PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Toys!

XRubyRoseX
09-16-2014, 10:31 AM
So I've been messing around with some toilet roll tubes that I've been saving and I've ended up making some pretty cool stuff for my hamsters.
I've attached 3 tubes together to form a "H" shape for the hams to run through. By slotting 3 tubes together I've also managed to create a pyramid, and I added substrate and tissue to the top tube and put some food in there. I still had my P@H box that I brought them home in, so I cut off the two flaps on both sides to make the box open and then I cut a circular hole in one of the other sides so that I could attach a tube to it so now they have a little hideout that has 3 exits (I took away their other one since it only had 1 exit and I was scared in case they had a fight and one ham cornered the other).
Then I made a couple of little puzzle things which I added food and treats too. For the first I cut strips of tube then overlapped them to make a ball, I added tissue and food inside. For another I squished 3 toilet roll tubes inside a 4th tube so that I could hide treats inside the creases in the tubes. For another I wrapped up a tube in tissue and added some food inside so all they have to do is pull away the tissue to get in (I pulled the tissue over pretty tightly though). And lastly I added a couple of mealworms inside of a toilet roll tube then folded in the ends to make a square top, I then tied tissue around the tube so that it secured down the folds underneath (the end result made it look like a present with a bow on :lol:).
Not really amazing toys but just in case anyone needed something new to make then there's some ideas, my hams are enjoying all of their new things at the moment :)

dave123791
09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for sharing your ideas with us Rose. My hammies have too much toys now lol, after i made a huge order from VioVet. A few things from Ebay and Amazon and some cage accessories from ZooPlus.

DanniDorrito
09-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Can also buy some sisal string, thread it through a tube and tie it to the top of the cage. Instant swinging tube, I had one and would hide a treat inside it, Marbles loved climbing on top of it :)

XRubyRoseX
09-16-2014, 12:00 PM
My hams have tonnes of toys too, I'm going to have to rotate their toys soon haha :lol: and yeah I was thinking of making them a swing but I couldn't find any string in the house :sad: I'll have to add it to my shopping list ;)