PDA

View Full Version : Willow roll lawn edge

Flamestriker
08-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi All

I recently purchased 3 rolls of Tesco Willow Roll Lawn Edge and I have removed the wire holding the willow sticks together. The plan is to make my own bendy logs, but they have a smell to them and I am unsure if they have been treated. Other willow logs also have a smell, but it is not as strong as what I have coming from the sticks, or is it because they were rolled up?

I am not going to use them untill I know for sure that they are safe, and I cannot find them on their website. They were store bought for £1 each, so they were not expensive.

What do you all think?

BrainGirl
08-16-2014, 02:37 PM
My guess is that they were treated to slow down their natural tendency to rot in wet garden conditions. I would be very careful with things like that I'm afraid:-?

Flamestriker
08-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Fair enough they will be going to the local dump tomorrow them. What an excuse to look on Zooplus!

BrainGirl
08-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Too bad. I understand the temptation though!

Flamestriker
08-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Well it has been something that I have wanted to do for some time, but nevermind. Better to be safe than sorry

BrainGirl
08-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Is there any way you can make your own? Willow is very easy to process if you have access to a tree or shrub. It's also popular for chew toys so if you don't have access to the plant itself you can find people online who sell cleaned and baked sticks for pets like chinchillas;)

Flamestriker
08-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Braingirl that is a good idea. Just come off Zoplus and they have a sale on bendy bridges at the moment so I have ordered some. I am going to keep an eye out for more untreated sticks though;)

Queen Of The High Teas
08-18-2014, 05:40 AM
I've done this, in fact I made a thread on it. I got my sticks from Aldi and they had a smell. However, I have no problem whatsoever with them and the hammies are fine. I'd also wonder how they could sell them for a quid or so if they were treated, given treating stuff generally puts the price up not down.

Queen Of The High Teas
08-18-2014, 05:47 AM
I've done this, in fact I made a thread on it. I got my sticks from Aldi and they had a smell. However, I have no problem whatsoever with them and the hammies are fine. I'd also wonder how they could sell them for a quid or so if they were treated, given treating stuff generally puts the price up not down.

EDIT: if you really unhappy or unsure about using them, these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Burns-Rabbit-Food-Willow-Sticks/dp/B002K2BNMK

Make a great alternative. I've gotten a pack for my chinchilla, they work out very cheap cos there's 14 sticks in a pack, some thick some thinner, and you'd easily make either one big bridge or two shorter ones if you cut the sticks in half, and still they'd be cheaper than buying those bendy bridges.