PDA

View Full Version : Hibernating Chinese Hamsters?

sarahdal
10-10-2008, 02:31 AM
It's been a while since I was on HC - what a time I've had! I moved into a new apartment with my partner, and put the hamsters in the office room (I have a pair of chinese hamsters). Not long after, they started fighting, squeaking very loudly, with Bruce attacking Ben quite viciously. It was really upsetting :(

I separated them and a friend of mine jumped at the chance of taking on a hamster, so Bruce got to go to a great new home. Since then (this was last Saturday) Ben has been very timid and shy, not at all like he used to be. He also seemed to hardly be eating anything at all

(Actually, speaking of "he", P@H where I got them said they were both males, but I'm not convinced - I tried to sex them myself but thought they were female? It'd explain the fighting?)

ANYWAY So Ben has been all timid. Then this morning, I went to clean out his (or her?) cage, and found (s)he'd done a little rearranging...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2929068876_ea08429e2d.jpg

It's not a great pic but basically he's dug up a load of the carefresh bedding and arranged a tube and a house - as if he's made his own nest. Could he be hibernating? Should I clean him out? He can get at the water but the wheel is unusable!

I'd really really really appreciate any thoughts on this - I haven't a clue what to do!