PDA

View Full Version : Habitrail Ovo cage review

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Wanted to do a cage review of the Habitrail Ovo range as know this cage gets quite a lot of bad press for being really tiny and having a lot of faults.

I own a Savic Micky 2xl cage which is a big cage and it houses three female dwarfs (mother and two daughters) but when I was looking for a second cage to house a male Campbell dwarf and his son I needed to find something slimmer as didn't have the space for another cage like the Savic Micky. I struggled to find a cage that would fit on my units. They were either really tiny or far too big so I started looking at the Ovo. Watched lots and lots of videos on youtube and went back and forth on the idea for at least a week. I finally ordered the Ovo suite which came with a Maze, transport pod, a den, hideout/food bowl and water bottle.

This alone I agree is far too small for two dwarfs and feel that Habitrail should not be advertising this as a suitable cage, I added two other mazes, a mini maze, another den and another transport unit. Even after ordering all the extras I think it only still cost me around £60/£70 with buying most items off ebay (new from a shop)

I've had this cage now for 5 weeks and I must say I've grown to love it, it looks fab and everyone that sees it comments on how nice a cage it is. It is really well made and the locks that hold it all together are very easy to use.

My two dwarfs seem very happy in this, they love the little dens and the mini maze which had a cardboard thing in it to chew is a big hit. The whole front of all pods open up which make accessing your hamster very easy. Even though we are now in summer and have had a few very hot days there doesn't seem to be a problem with ventilation and I've not experienced any condensation on the inside of the cage.

Cleaning it was easy, most of the time I just need to empty each pod which takes me about 10 minutes to get all bedding out all the pods, and give it a quick Hoover and then put clean bedding in, really only have to clean one tunnel that they tend to pee in every few days. Cleaning takes me about 25 minutes in total which don't think is bad at all. I've gave it one really good clean where I popped everything in the shower, that took me 50 minutes to empty dirty bedding, take it all apart, shower it all out, dry it, put it back together and fill it. I think I will only need to go this every couple of months though.

The water bottle - again everyone says this is really bad and leaks. Mine has not leaked once, as long as you fill it all the way to the top it won't leak, actually leaks far less than a normal water bottle. Another thing people have said is their hamster can't use it. My dwarfs have had no problem at all using it, I even put in a normal water bottle as was worried they wouldn't be able to use the ovo one but they chose to use the ovo one over the normal one so took that one out.

Overall I think it's a fab cage as long as you buy enough units. Mine are all on one level since dwarfs aren't the best climbers.

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Few pics of the inside

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Some more pics

NiceCrocs
08-15-2014, 01:21 PM
:/ I'd really advise hooking that setup up to a big cage with at least 360sq inches of open space. Even connected all up like that, your hamster has no room to run around. And there's almost no ventilation in those pods.

It's really unsuitable as a cage, and should only be used as an add-on to a bigger space.

Hekomi
08-15-2014, 01:26 PM
I really do not think a modular cage is good for pairs. It encourages one to be territorial over one section of the cage, leading to fights. Also what NiceCrocs said above.

kyrilliondaemon
08-15-2014, 02:20 PM
I agree with NileCrocs and Hekomi I'm afraid :(

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Just wanted to put my review across I know lots of people don't like the ovo but I've found it great and my dwarfs that live in there are much less jumpy, skittish and more laid back,than the ones in the large savic Micky cage.

My hamsters are all given time in a pen every day too. Personally was not really asking for options on the cage as I happy with the way it is for the moment and don't intend on adding anything to it, just wanted to give a review in my personal experience for anyone thinking of buying one. What works for one hamster may not work for another!!

Regarding ventilation as I have said I've noticed no issues, no condensation etc, I live in Scotland so it doesn't get overly hot here even in summer so maybe in a hotter country you may have more issues but every pod has holes all across the front and back which seems more than the bin cage I used to have with only mesh on top.

Territorial wise again 6 weeks on I've had no issues and think this is more down to the temperament of the hamsters rather than the cage. Both my males are very laid back and have been together since Kirby was born so far so good and really that's all I can say at the moment. As I said I've got three girls in a savic mickey xl and can't say I ever really see them using the open space of the cage very often for running around, most of the time they are either sleeping under their logs, eating or running on their wheel. They don't seem to use the open area of their cage very often at all. If never condone a hamster being kept in a tiny area but I think as long as they have plenty to keep them mentally stimulated then this is the most important thing, in the ovo they have plenty of toys, wheels, sand bathing pod, sleeping areas, lots of chews, tunnels etc and seem perfectly happy, they never chew their cage or act as if they are bored.

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:07 PM
And I know it says I'm just a hamster pup in the title but have been keeping hamsters of all shapes and sizes for over 27 years now and tried all different cages and must say this is the first one I can say my dwarfs seem really comfortable in.

Flamestriker
08-15-2014, 03:13 PM
I have not had the Ovo but I have had all previous editions of Habitrail...only got rid of it all due to the cleaing out time of 4 hours as I had so much of it. It used to come with a pretty big wheel once...I had on tied in a cage for year as it was the biggest I had ever seen (at the time)

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:19 PM
The type of cage your choose depends on so many factors, I just wanted people to know how I've found it that's all. I so own this so do have a larger more open cage to compare it too and as I've said none of my Campbell's are overly happy being out running around in open areas.

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:21 PM
And even with this large cage I wouldn't say there is much more space in it to run around really

twix and oreo mates4life
08-15-2014, 03:22 PM
I used habitrail for my dwarf, snickers and my robo, kit kat. Both loved the cages so I agree with Debi. What works for one hamster may not work for the next

kyrilliondaemon
08-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Your males are only six weeks into life in the cage Debi, from my perspective it makes more sense to use tried and tested methods of keeping pairs happy together - even with pairs I trust 100% I'd prefer to be safe than sorry. That said... If its what you want to do its what you want to do. Good luck

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:32 PM
As I said I think knowing the temperament of your hamster is much more important than the cage their in. Hamsters that don't like other hamsters will fight no matter if their in habitrail set ups or bin cage! These are both hamsters I have bred and I think there temperaments start showing from as young as 2-3 weeks of age. These are two I am confident will always get along without a problem. I've found this review from 2010 which is similar to mine but does go into not more depth so people considering it may find this helpful too http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/cage-reviews/7906-habitrail-ovo.html

kyrilliondaemon
08-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Yes and I respectfully disagree. I've known pairs suddenly get along far better when basic steps are taken to reduce the risk of fallouts so to me it makes sense to take those steps regardless just to be on the safe side.

I've also found that a single large space is better for hamsters than multiple smaller spaces but I'm not even trying to argue that point as it doesn't really drastically affect the hams welfare and there is such a thing as best for the individual - providing they can get a decent wheel e.t.c

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:39 PM
I agree with that, at the moment everything they need is in the ovo including a 6 inch silent spinner, you wouldn't for one that's big enough for a Syrian in it. They will be carefully watched for any fighting and the cage can easily be divided if this was to happen.

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:44 PM
This is their pod that contains the wheel. There quite lazy boys though and don't tend to use it that often.

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:46 PM
And they absolutely love this part of the cage

kyrilliondaemon
08-15-2014, 03:46 PM
I didn't say they don't have everything they need in the ovo... I said I'm not even trying to argue that point because I do respect that different people find different things work.

I do disagree with keeping a pair in a modular setup because I feel its taking a completely unneccessary risk with the hamsters health - and like you I'm perfectly entitled to air my view on the forum.

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Think you misunderstood, I was just saying that a wheel for a dwarf fits in the cage fine but a Syrian sized one wouldn't. Wasnt trying to argue about it. I actually agree that for lots of dwarfs it wouldn't work as keeping two dwarfs together alot of the time just doesn't work no matter what setup their in, but the review was really more just on the cage and up to people to make their own mind up whether they wanted to risk having two in it but some people may only own one hamster. So was really just a review on the actually cage rather than who could live in it

Debi1987
08-15-2014, 03:53 PM
The only real main advantage I've found with the ovo is the hamster living in it don't seem as skittish! And that goes for the two males I have now and the four female pups I kept in it while they were waiting to be collected to go to their new homes.