PDA

View Full Version : Swing/fun playground

Teddy001
08-14-2014, 09:28 PM
I've been DIY'n playground toys, such as this swing, for Teddie. I'm going to do a change around, to her Ikea Detolf. Since she seems to live mostly in the 55 gallon tank, I'm going to convert her Detolf, into more of a play zone/ground. Here's a swing I made. I used "scrap" wood pieces that I had left over from other projects. I'm thinking of painting it, with non toxic paint, in a bright color, that will go with the playground theme. (I just haven't decided on colors, yet. AHA!). I'll be working on attaching it to a wooden base, and I'm thinking of a few other "playground" themed toys that I will be DIY'n. I'm also making a playhouse, that will be going into the Detolf. I'll post pic's as I complete each piece, then will post pictures of Teddie's new FUN Zone, Detolf set up, once it's completely done. :D

ADD: Sorry, about the sideways picture.. I'm not sure why it turned sideways.. I posted it from a photo that was upright. LOL

Willow Wisp
08-15-2014, 12:17 AM
WOW that's awesome, it looks so professional :)
I love it as I'm sure Teddie will :) A playground theme sounds like lots of fun :)

KMPlays
08-15-2014, 12:42 AM
That looks awesome! Teddie will love it :).

Teddy001
08-15-2014, 02:10 AM
I love it as I'm sure Teddie will :) A playground theme sounds like lots of fun :)

Thank you.. I cut the pieces using my jig saw.:).

ianpallen
08-15-2014, 02:14 AM
Well done. I like it. It looks great and very well made. What wood have you used. How have you joined all the pieces. If glued, what glue. I would lioke to have a go at one if I can get hold of the right size wood. I am limited on tools.

Teddy001
08-15-2014, 02:15 AM
That looks awesome! Teddie will love it :).

Thanks, was fun to make:). I'm going to make a slide next, then a jungle gym, I have a seesaw, and I'll add a few tube toys. I was thinking of an sandbox, but I'm thinking Teddie would kick the sand all over the place- lol- I still may, if I build a box that's a bit deep. Lol

Celendine
08-15-2014, 02:30 AM
Wow, that's amazing! I've seen human swing seats that don't look that good haha, Teddy is a very lucky ham.

Teddy001
08-15-2014, 02:31 AM
Well done. I like it. It looks great and very well made. What wood have you used. How have you joined all the pieces. If glued, what glue. I would lioke to have a go at one if I can get hold of the right size wood. I am limited on tools.

Thanks, Ian.. I asked my husband for a jig saw for my birthday- lol. I'm just now getting around to practicing with different cuts, and so forth. I'm sure the pieces can be cut out on any type of saw, though.

The wood is poplar wood, which is safe for hamsters. It's fairly inexpensive, can be found at your local home supply store or Ebay-here's a link-( just for an example) m.ebay.com/itm/151382783769?nav=SEARCH#

The glue, I used non toxic glue- I'm not sure what the brand would be in the UK, it's called Elmer's glue, in the states, most kids use this type of glue in school. Maybe a kids glue would work if you can not find Elmer's glue:).

ianpallen
08-15-2014, 02:40 AM
Thanks. Elmers glue for wood is just the same as pva. I have quite a bit of that. I need new jigsaw blades as mine are fairly old and can take ages to cut a piece of wood or start bending when cutting hard wood. The wood is readily available around here, so no problem getting it. ;)

Teddy001
08-15-2014, 02:40 AM
Wow, that's amazing! I've seen human swing seats that don't look that good haha, Teddy is a very lucky ham.

Thanks So much:). I got the idea, cos we have one similar on our porch.. Lol. I was swinging the other day in it, and thought- humm bet I could make a ham size one.. Lol.

Teddy001
08-15-2014, 02:47 AM
Thanks. Elmers glue for wood is just the same as pva. I have quite a bit of that. I need new jigsaw blades as mine are fairly old and can take ages to cut a piece of wood or start bending when cutting hard wood. The wood is readily available around here, so no problem getting it. ;)

May be a good investment to get ya new blades. ;). I got a pack of different edges of blades, don't have a clue what blades to use for what.. Lol. I got the saw last month.. I'm very new at using it. Lol. I used chain from a broken necklace to hang the swing- lol.

Teddy001
08-15-2014, 03:12 AM
Here's what I'm thinking of making, a playhouse for Teddie. I started the base, with slots for Teddie to go into other rooms. But that's as far as I've gotten, so far. LOL. I saw it on the internet, there's no actual plans, on how to build it, so, I'm making it by trial and error. HAh!.

I'm going to be putting a Wodent wheel, behind it, making a wall/cover so the wheel can only be visible from the ground level, and an water bottle station. The photo is a basic idea, of what I want to make, as I want it to go into a L shape, and adding the circular gazebo as a landing for Teddie to use as a means of getting into a tube, that leads into her other tank. Well, see how much "patience" I have, with how far I go on it. hehe.

RedSky
08-15-2014, 03:58 AM
I love that chair, it looks prefessionaly made. Shame your in the US or I would be asking how much to have some made for my hamsters.
My birthday is coming up, wonder if I can ask for a jigsaw. Don't think I'll have much luck, my OH wont even sharpen the knives as he worries (or maybe knows) that I will cut myself. Seriously the force I have to use to cut butter with them... haha

Teddy001
08-19-2014, 04:03 AM
I love that chair, it looks prefessionaly made. Shame your in the US or I would be asking how much to have some made for my hamsters.
My birthday is coming up, wonder if I can ask for a jigsaw. Don't think I'll have much luck, my OH wont even sharpen the knives as he worries (or maybe knows) that I will cut myself. Seriously the force I have to use to cut butter with them... haha

I was a bit nervous using the jig saw for the first time. It's loud! Lol. I had my husband show me how to use it. A d had him cut a few pieces of wood, first, then stand by me, and watch me cut a few pieces of wood. It was scary, I must say, at first, and when I use it, I am very careful and don't cut as fast as I'm sure it can cut, just really going slow.
I'm sure you will do fine operating a jig saw. Just go slow and be very careful:).

Teddy001
08-19-2014, 04:07 AM
I've been working on Teddies Playground themed, which is in the Detolf. I've painted and added fun things for her. It's not completely done, yet, but she seems to really enjoy her new playground. The swing is now red and yellow- I painted it. I'll post photos of the set up as soon as it's done:)..

Teddy001
08-19-2014, 04:12 AM

Thanks:).. Teddies playground themed Detolf is under construction- lol. It's almost done. I'll post photos of it, once it's finished. :)

DrKMcK
08-19-2014, 08:30 PM
That is just beautiful. I really like the very profession trim. The chain looks great too. What a great job you did. :-D

Teddy001
08-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks, Dr. K.. I'm just about done with the Detolf- I have a few more at toys to add, and paint a back drop-- the swing is now painted, red & yellow-- I want " bright" cheerful, playful colors.. :)

2LittlePuds
08-22-2014, 12:32 AM
cant wait to see pictures, I bet it looks fab!

Teddy001
08-25-2014, 04:08 AM
cant wait to see pictures, I bet it looks fab!

Thank you 2Little.. I started painting the back drop, tonight. :)

Artisans_uk
08-25-2014, 04:33 AM
Wow, Teddy, that swing is so beautiful, professional looking too. If I remember correctly, you were asking which saw would be best to get? I'm glad you're having fun with the jigsaw and putting it to great use already.

I can't wait to see the completed playground, although I will not doubt suffer a bout of DEC (Detolf Envy Condition) but I'll prepare myself in advance. Teddy must be really loving your woodworking skills. :)

Teddy001
08-25-2014, 06:04 AM
Thanks, Artisans-

Yes, I had the post up asking about saws- Lol.. I'm enjoying the jig saw, and I'm working on a few more additions to Teddie's playground themed Detolf. She goes back and forth, from her Detolf, to her 55 gallon tank. I'm not sure if you saw the beach themed tank I did? That connects to the Detolf. Once I have the Detolf done, I'll post both in the " cages" section.

Kim_Gus
09-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Wow, you are so talented! That swing seat is amazing. I wish I could order stuff from you!