PDA

View Full Version : brainstorming...

Carlea Skunkrawk
10-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm getting a second hamster soon, and I got a 20 gallon fish tank for free today off freecycle. Tank toppers are SO expensive...I figured I could probably make my own with a little galvanized mesh and pvc piping or fasteners... has anyone tried this before?

The thing that makes me wonder the most is how I might make the edges unsharp...and doors.

My other idea is that at my mom's house I have an old cage...one of those three story wire ones, and I was thinking of scrapping it for the wire and making it that way....

ideas? suggestions?

souffle
10-08-2008, 02:58 AM
I have seen tank toppers made by making a frame of wood. like a rectangle that fits round the top of the tank then staple or pin wire mesh or weldmesh on to the top of it. It should then slot down and sit on top of the tank so there are no rough edges the hammy can get at. You can tape over the stapled edges. Attach adhesive velcro to the glass and the other bit to the wood to hold the top in place.

Neggy
10-08-2008, 09:47 AM
For my bin cage I used 'handy mesh' and covered the edges in black 'duck' tape (I call it gaffa tape). I jusr folded it in half around the edge, then stuck it to itself through the mesh holes. The type of mesh I used can be sanded smooth so it is not sharp. I used a dremmel to do this quickly.

It sounds a bit naff, but the duck tape actually looks quite neat.

Carlea Skunkrawk
10-09-2008, 04:57 AM
I would imagine that if I used wood that the hamster would chew through it...or maybe my current hamster (who won't be in this cage) is just a great chewer. That's one idea though. How would I make doors that actually work?

souffle
10-09-2008, 07:33 AM
The wood would not actually be in a position it could be chewed. The mesh rests on top of the tank and the wood pushes down over the outside of the tank. A bit like a shoebox lid if you imagine the outside edge of the lid is the wood frame :D . You would not need a door as you just lift the whole lid off like taking out the shoes! :wink:

Carlea Skunkrawk
10-10-2008, 05:43 AM
The wood would not actually be in a position it could be chewed. The mesh rests on top of the tank and the wood pushes down over the outside of the tank. A bit like a shoebox lid if you imagine the outside edge of the lid is the wood frame :D . You would not need a door as you just lift the whole lid off like taking out the shoes! :wink:

But I want to make it with a couple of levels of mesh...like the kind of tank topper you can buy in the store (for a total waste of money). I was thinking of the door because it would make cleaning easier I think, or getting my hamster if he is up in the levels. I bet, if we're going with wood, that I could make a little door with wood and mesh and think of something for hinges. Or even the same thing with pvc. I think when it comes down to it, it's whatever's cheaper.

mollldoll
10-12-2008, 10:05 AM
The best i tutorial for a tank topper is here

http://www.egerbil.com/extensions.html

Im in the process of making two like that

Ive made my own toppers before from mesh and also old cages & fixed levels in them, of course you would have to make them suitable for hammies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/mollldoll/DSC_0989.jpg

I don't honestly think that buying a tank topper is a total waste of money (even at the price they are!) since you get what you pay for so to speak - something like a good cage or tank will last years & also be something that your pet has to live in for the whole of its life. I think the advantage to making your own topper is that you can decide on the size & style of what you want - i also think its best to use good parts to make the topper as a flimsy one wont last two minutes

stripeybea
10-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Wow mollldoll your tank top is great and the link is very interesting even tho im am not intending to make any tank toppers,its still good to find such websites.

Carlea Skunkrawk
10-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Awesome link! Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

pophammy
10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Those tanks look great! Just one thing to remember when making one if it's for a hamster ~ do not use mesh as a floor for them to walk on as they may catch their foot and injure themselves ~ you're better to use wood or plastic. :)