PDA

View Full Version : Yoghurt drops.

liam4mail
10-06-2008, 01:15 PM
There seem to be a lot in this bag, even if I would give my Syrian five each day as the packet states as the maximum (though I wonder if that is too many). What is the shelf life of these things once they are opened?

ellisyellis
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
ow i have yoghurt drops for my hammy too. he has had his bag open for ages and they look fine. i limit them as they dont look very natural food for hams just sweets.

happysaz133
10-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I think they should be OK. Jasper has gone through 3 packets since I got him in May. However at one point the little cup I keep them all in did go down significatly over night, I'm sure the cat had something to do with it! They should last ages though, don't worry about it.

souffle
10-08-2008, 11:47 AM
They keep for ages if you put them in a little plastic box with a sealable lid. I would not give more than two a day as they do have sugar in them.

liam4mail
10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
:roll: I never knew they had sugar. I am sticking to no more than two a day! Thanks for that.

Yes I might get some of those plastic containers that seal for all my foods for him. :)

leafpool14
10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Those treats are fantastic! I would give Kimmi my syrian 1 yogurt drop, and 1 choc drop everyday :D
They last for ages, don't worry :P

I would melt mine a little with some hot water, melted chocolate tastes richer :wink:

liam4mail
10-31-2008, 09:31 AM
I would melt mine a little with some hot water, melted chocolate tastes richer :wink:

Well as usual what you have said is ever so sweet and thoughtful but am I correct in saying that hamster chocolate has a higher melting point compared to human chocolate in case it is carried in pouches?

Hana
10-31-2008, 01:26 PM
That's true liam, if it was melted it could get stuck in the hammies pouch and cause a blockage, so only give them solid.

leafpool14
10-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Gosh!

I've been oblivious to this hazard! Thanks for telling me, didn't want my new dwarfies getting hurt

What if I totally melted the chocolate drop and spreaded it finely on to a banana slice? would that be safe? :?:

liam4mail
10-31-2008, 02:10 PM
What if I totally melted the chocolate drop and spreaded it finely on to a banana slice? would that be safe? :?:

I would say no because again this could end up in the pouch.

You are the one who told me hamsters have stronger taste buds compared to humans. They do not need their chocolate melted in order to enjoy it more. I think you are being too nice. I also think you are extremely creative. How about you leave the food as it is but change the way you serve it, i.e. put a treat in one of those DIY play balls?

My mind spins one billion miles per hour. Eventually I will have enough information about hamsters and their diet to get into a routine. Once I do I think I will take on some DIY projects to make toys and treats for the hamsters!

leafpool14
10-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Totally gotta agree with you! I'm going off the rails a little :oops: :D :D

I've got to make a house for my dwarfies, but that wont be too hard, so I wouldn't count it as a full on project

I'm rubbish when it comes to making toys. I prefer buying them simply because I don't own the right materials, or have any idea's on how and what to make :)

BUT...I will try. I'm good at cooking, and I used to have a treat ball that would clip on the lid of the cage for my hammy, but....I bought it :lol: I might make one, but don't know what to make it out of :(

I will do some brainstorming (Is it illegal to say that?) and post on some idea's that spring to my mind :mrgreen:

liam4mail
10-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I would not have a clue where to start either. I am pretty artistic but I would worry the materials I use would not be safe.

I think you are a worrier like me too. You just want the best for your pets.

Catherine Spark
10-31-2009, 02:12 AM
the little cup I keep them all in did go down significatly over night, I'm sure the cat had something to do with it!

I had yoghurt drops for my old hamster Bepper - and they were finished in one day...mainly because I was 9 years old at the time and loved yoghurt.