PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye my friend :(

dave123791
07-26-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't really have many memories from when i was little due to my early childhood not being the best one, but i have one- one that i will never forget. The day i bought Toffi. My parents decided to get a big dog to protect our house that we used to live in (it was pretty big), the choice was between a german shepherd or a St. Bernard. I got to pick so i picked a St.Bernard. My dad found an offer in the newspaper from a local St. Bernard breeder-he was selling puppies that were eight weeks old. He was selling them for £500 each. 2 days later after contacting him we went to pick our puppy, we already knew we wanted a male and we had chose a name for him. I was ten at the time. There were 6 pups available, 3male and 3 female. We also got to see their parents. I got to pick which puppy so i picked the most scared one that was staying away from us. The first few days were amazing as i never had a dog, he was my first one. When he got a bit older we moved from our huge farm house near Edinburgh to a bit smaller house but still with a very big garden for Toffi in the Highlands.

He was a lovely dog and my best friend. He protected the house from burglars twice and also woke us up when the shed was on fire. 2 weeks ago he was playing in the garden as usual. He was in the garden the whole day then slept home at night. He had free access into the house whenever he felt like it. He loved snow and playing catch with me in the winter. Every time i got ill and would sit on the bed the whole day with me until i got better. Anyway back to the story: 2 weeks ago at night i noticed his tummy was a bit swollen and he wasn't eating his food. I contacted the vet early in the morning next day and booked him an appointment at 10 am same day. The vet said he had stomach blockage and his large intestine wasn't working properly. He also had digestive problems. The vet gave him antibiotics to reduce the pain and hopefully fix the intestine problem. 5 days later the vet said he needed a surgery to fix his intestine problem. The surgery was successful but he still had stomach blockage and wasn't eating. After the surgery he got very ill and barely moved. The vet said he wasn't well enough to do another surgery that would fix his stomach blockage. He said there would be a 50% chance of success and without the operation he had no more than 10 days left dying in pain. It was a very difficult decision to make. I chose to do the surgery. It was done on Thursday. He made it. On Friday we went to take him home- he was very weak and exhausted. He had his first dinner in over a week. I stayed the whole night just to feed him by a syringe little amounts at a time. Saturday morning he was still very weak but a tiny bit better. At 4;58pm he passed away while lying on my knees. I feel like my whole life is ruined. My life will not be the same without Toffi. My best friend died aged 5.

R.I.P. Toffi- you will always be my little boy, i will never forget you. No dog will replace you ever.

dave123791
07-26-2014, 01:48 PM
http://i59.tinypic.com/d9lwj.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/25p78tw.jpg

Bec
07-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Oh Dave.....such a lovely moving memorial. Its clear Toffi meant the world to you and it would have been a comfort to him that you were with him during his final moments. He will always be in your heart and time will be a healer.

Always remember the moments you shared.

Sleep well Toffi. Hope you are OK.

Just seen the pics, he is beautiful and clear to see he was a happy part of your family.

icklemunch
07-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Oh Dave i am so very sorry! Your memorial had me in tears.

What a lucky boy Toffi was you obviously adored him. I often saw you mention him in your posts.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Toffi will always be with you.
Sleep tight beautiful boy xx

PS the picture of him with the chick is stunning.

souffle
07-26-2014, 01:55 PM
I am so very sorry - he was beautiful and handsome and so much loved. It is all the harder to lose a young dog so tragically :(
Play well at the bridge Toffi x

DrKMcK
07-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Oh, what a beautiful dog Dave. I am so very sorry he's gone. I know how much it hurts. Stomach blockages in big dogs is a terrible thing. :-( The picture of Toffi with the chick had me in tears. I love Saint Bernards. What a gentle soul Toffi was. Sweet, beautiful Toffi, run at the rainbow Bridge. You are missed so very much. :cry:

dave123791
07-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Thank you guys for all the positive and encouraging replies, I'm going to try and cope with it all, Sorry if I'm not going to be as active for some time but death of my best friend and some other issues going on in my life are just overwhelming me!!!

kyrilliondaemon
07-26-2014, 02:12 PM
It sounds like he was a very special and very lucky dog. I'm sorry he's gone now :(

corrieberry
07-26-2014, 02:40 PM
I am so, so sorry for you. My Digger died unexpectedly and it is so heart-breaking when it happens. I really hope you start to feel a little better soon and you can think of your loved boy playing at the bridge with our friends and waiting to give you a big hug and a kiss when he sees you next.

icklemunch
07-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Thank you guys for all the positive and encouraging replies, I'm going to try and cope with it all, Sorry if I'm not going to be as active for some time but death of my best friend and some other issues going on in my life are just overwhelming me!!!

You take your time. Do hope you are ok

Willow Wisp
07-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Oh Dave I am so very very sorry for your loss, I'm sure Toffi knew how much he was loved. Run free & at peace at the bridge beautiful Toffi xx