PDA

View Full Version : Dig box with a view :)

Willow Wisp
07-25-2014, 01:34 PM
I used jumbo sticks to start the build
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/cav3/03d8a846982df38d6eba5972872e1db7_zpsbddf1499.jpg

Then added 2 plastic sides so I can watch her :)
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/cav3/d422bac9a841f4065fc4a22b89d904a4_zpsca8df08c.jpg

I added a front fence to help contain digging material & made a lid with entrance hole
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/cav3/e3437c33177cb6bf820bce75183efa6c_zpse5d3d25d.jpg

Here it's finished but waiting for glue to be completely dry before filling it up & giving it to her :)
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/cav3/e77503293533e206477f0832ba1912ee_zps6689f0bd.jpg

DexterChloe
07-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Wowser! That looks amazing! Very impressive. Lucky hammy :)

fluffydd
07-25-2014, 01:40 PM
That's wonderful.

dave123791
07-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Oh my gosh. That is amazing: very professional. I know what I'm going to be making after i finish my house for Sarah, thanks for the idea :)

How long did it take you?

DrKMcK
07-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Okay...I love it!!!! I shall make one of these before the end of the day! Glue! Sticks! What color should I choose?! Hmmmm. Gonna need one for the playpen too. Oops, gotta find some kind of plastic like yours. Hmmmm...will have to order. *sigh*. This is really nice Willow Wisp and I will do these. :-D

Willow Wisp
07-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Wowser! That looks amazing! Very impressive. Lucky hammy :)

Thank you :)

That's wonderful.

Oh my gosh. That is amazing: very professional. I know what I'm going to be making after i finish my house for Sarah, thanks for the idea :)

How long did it take you?

Your welcome, it wasn't my idea, I saw something similar on line made by Trixie and decided to make my own version of it, it's much more fun than buying one ready made :)

I already had everything I needed, it's all just different odds and ends which were left over from other projects :) so I managed this in an afternoon, about 4.5 hours non stop though LOL

Okay...I love it!!!! I shall make one of these before the end of the day! Glue! Sticks! What color should I choose?! Hmmmm. Gonna need one for the playpen too. Oops, gotta find some kind of plastic like yours. Hmmmm...will have to order. *sigh*. This is really nice Willow Wisp and I will do these. :-D

I had some polycarbonate off cuts left over from making a cold frame for the tortoises but you could use any see through plastic, I don't think it would need to be very heavy duty? Colours LOL, I never got as far as that :) I made a spiral staircase for her out of the ready coloured sticks, I thought it looked pretty but Willow hated it and refused to use it, it's waiting to be recycled into something else when inspiration hits :)
Good luck with yours, look forward to seeing the photo's :)

Esmy
07-26-2014, 05:49 AM
Looks great Willow, love it and I'm sure they will too. :)

DrKMcK
07-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Where did you get the little posts for the front entrance and what are they called? :-D

Willow Wisp
07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Where did you get the little posts for the front entrance and what are they called? :-D

I'm just a big kid LOL I never had a dolls house as a child & I always wanted one so here I am a full grown adult with my very own dolls house :)
I have been making my own furniture for it, the posts you mention are from a dolls house shop :) They are newel posts for building a dolls house staircase :)
They are just there for decoration though, you don't really need them, I had some extra ones left over so put them to good use :)

furryfriends
07-26-2014, 12:06 PM
DrKMck I've seen post like that(and other miniatures) at Pat Catans crafts store. I don't know if you have that store in New York.

DrKMcK
07-26-2014, 12:08 PM
DrKMck I've seen post like that(and other miniatures) at Pat Catans crafts store. I don't know if you have that store in New York.

Thank you furryfriends. I'll check and see, and I'll look in other craft stores too. :-D

Willow Wisp
07-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Thank you furryfriends. I'll check and see, and I'll look in other craft stores too. :-D

And dolls house shops lol

DrKMcK
07-26-2014, 12:14 PM
And dolls house shops lol

Will do! I keep an index card file program on my computer and I have a file named "Hamsters". All info like this goes in there so I don't forget. I'll be looking for the stuff for the dig box tonight. :-D

corrieberry
07-26-2014, 03:20 PM
I love the look of this, it looks so fabulous! I have hundred of lollipop sticks somewhere, might be time to go dig them out again.

Willow Wisp
07-28-2014, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone :)

Update, this box has been huge success :)
I know a standard cardboard box would have done the job just as well but it's so nice being able to watch her whilst she's in there :)
Can you spot her lovely little nose just peeking out?
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/cav3/a15e9f91758b7b591e77e7eb24e44d8b_zpsf3f9ff2f.jpg

ianpallen
07-28-2014, 07:06 AM
I like this dig box. I might make one for Screech. What have you filled it with. Is it the twist paper bedding ? I was wondering before about one but have no idea what to fill it with. At the time, I had a box full of the packaging peanuts (made of polystyrene) but thought if they are eaten and get wet, they can swell and not really good for animals, so that went out the window.

Willow Wisp
07-28-2014, 11:14 AM
I like this dig box. I might make one for Screech. What have you filled it with. Is it the twist paper bedding ? I was wondering before about one but have no idea what to fill it with. At the time, I had a box full of the packaging peanuts (made of polystyrene) but thought if they are eaten and get wet, they can swell and not really good for animals, so that went out the window.

At the moment it has Carefresh in it because the colours look pretty LOL
In her previous dig box she had aspen but she has also had a dig box full of bath sand too. I sprinkle little seeds into the dig box and she spends ages hunting for them :) I'm lucky, she's litter trained and doesn't pee in her boxes so whatever I fill it with stays clean :)

Flamestriker
07-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Wow...just wow!

Are you taking orders??

I actually bought one of those, the biggest one available. I think that I liked it more than my hamsters because they did not use it. But...Petree loves to dig, so I just might go see if I can get some giant lolly sticks from local (ish) WHAT! shop and have an excuse to get glue everywhere.

Any more ideas?? Yours are fabulous indeed! :)

Teddy001
07-28-2014, 09:30 PM
That's fabulous!!! Your ham will be exhausted after playing, digging- it's like swimming without the water- lol- I broke down and bought a large dig box, which now, after seeing yours, love it! :). My ham only digs in it " occasionally) loves to climb on it, more, I think- lol. A nice thing to have:).

Willow Wisp
07-29-2014, 12:47 AM
Wow...just wow!

Are you taking orders??

I actually bought one of those, the biggest one available. I think that I liked it more than my hamsters because they did not use it. But...Petree loves to dig, so I just might go see if I can get some giant lolly sticks from local (ish) WHAT! shop and have an excuse to get glue everywhere.

Any more ideas?? Yours are fabulous indeed! :)

LOL thank you, Good luck with yours :)

That's fabulous!!! Your ham will be exhausted after playing, digging- it's like swimming without the water- lol- I broke down and bought a large dig box, which now, after seeing yours, love it! :). My ham only digs in it " occasionally) loves to climb on it, more, I think- lol. A nice thing to have:).

I have birds so I always have bird seeds and pellets in the house, I sprinkle a few of these in the dig box, hunting for them keeps Willow occupied for awhile :)

Thrifty Hamster
08-07-2014, 06:33 PM
There was a dig box on a Degu forum that I absolutely loved and I might just hamsterfiy it for mine... and possibly for my mouse too! But I really love your design so why can't they have more than one X3? Am I allowed to post the Degu Forums' picture? I asked the woman's permission but she hasnt replied back yet, I dont want to do anything without her OK, so that's why I'm waiting. Or maybe I should just link you all the entire page itself and have you have a look at it?