PDA

View Full Version : Orabell "Belly"

sweethamsterlove
07-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Dear Belly,

We had 20 months together. I still remember talking to "daddy" about wanting to get you. He was so hesitant. He kept saying sure, but then he would never come with me to pick you out. So I finally just did it on my own. I went to the petstore and brought you home with me.
Your sweet face and bright eyes did it for me. =) It took me several hours to pick out your name. I combined "Ora" (golden) and "Belle" for beauty to make Orabell. It was the perfect name for you.

"Daddy" fell in love instantly, and because of him, you became tame. It didn't take long for him to nickname you "Belly" and it stuck.

He called you "our darling daughter" We both loved you so much. He would snuggle with you really close to his face. I fell in love with him all over again because of his love and affection for you.

You never escaped from your cage, but you would certainly escape from your ball. You would drive us crazy with that! We found you under the stove a good bit. I don't blame you! There are probably a lot of yummy snacks down there cause "Mommy" can be a messy cook sometimes. The first time we found you under there you gave me a heart attack. There was a black bait box for mice under there! (From previous homeowners). Of course it happened on a Friday night around 10. I called all the vet hospitals listed in our area, poison control, and the pest company. The pest company basically told me how you were going to die. It was awful. But... you didn't die. Perhaps you didn't eat the poison.

We got to take you to the beach! Daddy's request. He didn't want to leave you alone. I worried the whole time about you traveling in your cage. a 9 hour road trip with a hamster in July! Someone always had to stay in the car with you to keep the AC on. You made it there and home just fine.

Daddy started a new job and he didn't get to stay up as late in the evenings, and he used to look forward to the weekend so he play with you. You and I had our time together every night. Right around 8:30 you would start chewing on the bars of your cage. I'd stop what I was doing to (scold you at first) check on you and you'd be waiting by the doors of the cage. I'd get you out and let you run around on the couch or in your ball. You were always very predictable and we had one another's schedule figured out. You were so sweet.

My mom came to visit me at the end of April and she loved you and your personality, so much that she would talk about you to other people. A few days later after your run in the ball I noticed that you were bleeding from your bottom, but you were normal otherwise. It worried me and I researched online (again, after hours for the vet). The next day on a break from work I called all the vets near home. The closest that could see you was a 40 minute drive away. I left work to take you. The vet said you have pyometra and the only cure is to spay, but you are too old for the procedure. He prescribed oral antibiotics for 10 days.

You hated the medicine! It took both me and daddy to give it to you. We would have to wake you up to give it to you because of daddy's work schedule. And we would have to bait you with a grape, oh how you love grapes! Anyways, the bleeding cleared up and I was so happy! But a few days later it came back. We got you back in to the vet and he did a series of injections. One a day for three days. You were good for a week and a half. Then we went back for another series of injections. Then you were good for three weeks. I thought we were done and in the clear. I thought you were cured. But the bleeding started again. And back to the vets we went for shots 7, 8, and 9.

Your last shot was last week. You started to deteriorate on Friday. We waited to see if you got better, but you didn't. I knew you weren't feeling okay when you stopped coming up to the doors of your cage and drinking water.

I spent some time with you today while Daddy was at work. When Daddy came home he spent some time with you, snuggled with you, fed you your last grape and said good-bye. We took you to the vet after that.

You went to wait for us at the rainbow bridge this afternoon. There is a hole in our hearts where you used to be. It hurt to pack your things away today. It hurts to see the place where your cage used to be. It hurts every time I hear a little noise and I look over to see if it is you. It isn't though, because you aren't with us anymore.

Everyone who got to be with you loved you. The vet said that you were so calm and sweet. In the 10 times that we were there, you never once bit anyone. Even when you weren't feeling well.

Mommy misses you, and I know daddy does too.
We love you.

souffle
07-04-2014, 12:34 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to a special girl.
Play well at the brdige Orabell xx

corrieberry
07-04-2014, 01:17 AM
This is so beautiful. I am so sorry for you and your SO, and hope that the pain of the loss fades gently.

sweethamsterlove
07-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Thank you for your kind words. It just feels so lonely in the house without her. I lost two previous hamsters when I was 10 and 14. I was devastated then, but this tops it. I'm 28 and my husband is 33. I guess age makes you love harder and deeper. I don't know. But it is amazing how often I would think of her on a daily basis sometimes in a routine way. It hurts when those thoughts come up.

DrKMcK
07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
What many people don't realize is that love is love, whether toward a person or a pet. Belly was part of your family and you've lost a part of your family. She deserves to be mourned, as does anyone we lose. Your memorial was just beautiful and I hope it helped ease some of your pain. You will go through the process of loss and time will make memories of her easier to think of. Belly had a wonderful life and was deeply loved. What better tribute to her is there? {hugs} to both of you. Belly, run free and play well at the Bridge. Blow hammy kisses to your Mommy and Daddy now and then. :-(

rmarkham
07-04-2014, 06:03 PM
What a beautiful memorial.. I am so sorry for your loss.

Orabell was very luck to have you, and your SO to love and be loved by.

Pompompoms
07-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Such a lovely memorial for a beautiful girl. Play well little one xx