PDA

View Full Version : The Generic Dwarf Ham...

SnuggleHam
03-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Yup Generic.. Whenever I go into the pet stores they have either Generic names or "special" names in the name of making more money.

The Dwarf hamster in particular has the generic name of simply "dwarf hamster" or "Siberian" hamster. I went to both petco and petsmart today interested in looking at the dwarf hamsters. In petco they had a couple but all the label said was "dwarf hamster" Nobody new what kind of dwarf it was.

So when we stopped at Petsmart I asked about the "Siberian" hamster that they had wondering what kind of dwarf is really was. They didn’t have a clue what I was talking about and had to go and check. I explained to them that there are two kinds commonly called "Siberian" hamsters but they aren’t the same, Explaining one was the Russian Campbell’s and another similar looking ham was the winter whites who’s coats changes to white in the winter.

Maybe it’s my fault for still being new with the dwarf breeds, but a winter white and a Campbell’s in the summer look the same to me. How do I know what I am buying then.. Unless I go to a breeder.

On the way home we found another smaller family owned pet store. They hade these mini dwarf white hamsters, I couldn’t tell if they were winter whites or Campbell’s so I asked, and they didn’t have the foggiest, so I explained the same thing to them.

One of the white dwarf had red eyes making me believe it was a camp bells coat mutation and not a winter white, but then there was another all white ham that had dark eyes.. so who knows!

One neat thing though is that at petsmart they had a hairless hamster and a chinese hamster! I couldn’t believe it. Just as I become interested I start seeing all these hard to find hams pop up! Im glad I found my robos though!

babyboos
03-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I do not know ONE petshop that knows the difference between these two, apart from those I have told, and only the ones I visit regularly remember.

Emma
03-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I know one that knows the difference and labels them properly, it's a large pet concession in a garden centre so is independent-ish. The chain petshops are all useless in this aspect. It is most worrying when you spot possible hybrids being sold. (I'm not very good at spotting hybrids but have seen a few I think might be suspect).

hammydude
03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Well Candace, I guess we should just try our best to learn to reconize the different breeds. :?

SnuggleHam
03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
True but what if its a hybrid :?

I think this is something id like to eventually add onto Hamster Central, If anyone know much about this already and wants to help your welcome to :P

I have a few projects I want to add, like something on genetics and genetic defects and something about hybrids species..

hammydude
03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
So hybrid hammies are bad?or are they bad just by breeding standards?and with genetics isn't the cambells the type that is very hard to breed because of... :? something to do with the fact that the have a red eye gene or some thing that causes birth defects :? ?

SnuggleHam
03-08-2005, 03:29 PM
I really dont know very much about the hybrids, its somthing I should probably research soon for the web site.

Maybe someone here will talk about hybrids a bit.

Coco1
03-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Yes the cambells and winter whites can be confusing due to similar colors (unless in winter coat) but the best way to tell them apart is the shape of their face - the winter whites usualy always have that "roman nose" shape, very rounded when looking from the side. The Cambells are flatter. As for hybrids - good luck LOL! That WOULD be confusing! :lol:

I know what you mean about some of the pet stores not knowing their stock. I went into a pet co the other day to get some things and as usual, always check out their hamster section - there in the "Dwarf Russian" section was a very distinctive Chinese Hamster!!! He was unmistakable! ?????? :-)

babyboos
03-10-2005, 03:34 PM
It really annoys me but I don't let it get me down - I use the opportunity to get a conversation going with the store owner - they are usually more than happy to be constructively corrected :oops:

Coco1
03-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Babyboos I agree. On this occasion there was no one around the hamster area to talk to and the people at the desk haven't a clue. Its not my favorite store in the world but is convenient to our house when I need to run out an get dog food (and make a diversion toward the hamster area while i'm there!). Next time I go in however, if its still mis-labeled I'll definately tell them.

babyboos
03-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Yeah it is usually a waste of time talking to the cash desk staff - you need to get to the owner or the actual person/s in charge of the animals themselves.