PDA

View Full Version : Hamster friendly craft supplies are coming....

corrieberry
06-03-2014, 06:08 AM
After making a castle for Molly and Pippin, I decided I needed MOAR LOLLIPOP STICKS.

I emailed my SO and he has just ordered me A THOUSAND.

I have so many ideas of what I am going to do. What would you do with a thousand lollipop sticks?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JcR0veEAHa4/U426EWBQZeI/AAAAAAAAAlU/gLP6gidxHMc/s1600/Escape.jpg

humfry
06-03-2014, 06:17 AM
That is amazing!!

Where do you get those from - after that scare with willow sticks might be interested in making something for humfry.

You should make a hamster maze. With a little house in the middle where you can hide treats.

SinNyx
06-03-2014, 06:27 AM
I bought 1000 lollipop sticks on eBay a few months ago for just over £6 plus free delivery...I've still only made one thing with them and I'd be interested to see what you make :p

Esmy
06-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Looks great! Did you put a sealant on the wood?

corrieberry
06-03-2014, 06:46 AM
That is amazing!!

Where do you get those from - after that scare with willow sticks might be interested in making something for humfry.

You should make a hamster maze. With a little house in the middle where you can hide treats.

I got them from Amazon for £7! SO has Amazon Prime so delivery was free and I will get them tomorrow :D I am definitely thinking hamster maze - or an obstacle course :D I have a lot of yarn too...

I bought 1000 lollipop sticks on eBay a few months ago for just over £6 plus free delivery...I've still only made one thing with them and I'd be interested to see what you make

I am SO excited. It's hard to concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing (credit control, bleurgh) because I just want to look up ideas :D

Looks great! Did you put a sealant on the wood?

No, I haven't - I was going to Plastikote it, but I really want to encourage them to chew as much as I can, and I'm really dubious about them chewing on plastikoted wood. The Knuffs in their cages aren't sealed either, and they are getting a bit disgusting where they pee on it, but I would rather just replace them (I will probably only use cardboard in their cages once these Knuff's are gone, it is an expensive thing to keep replacing).

I don't believe they will spend enough time with the castle to decide to make a mess of it. *Hopeful*.

StarlightSerenity
06-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Hehe looks great! I think I'm going to have to order some!

Esmy
06-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Yeah that's why I was wondering. I made a Popsicle stick house for Penny and there was pee and poo on the sides so I had to chuck it. It didn't last as long as I hoped. But if you are ok with remaking them, that works too. :) I bought regular size Popsicle sticks and jumbo and I rarely use the regular size. Jumbo is my favorite.

humfry
06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
I used watered down PVA glue to seal the surface of the plywood I used to make a platform for humfry. Not as good as a plastikoted surface but should do for a while.

Melainia
06-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Ahhh! I need those magazine holders! That is a fantastic castle :)

DrKMcK
06-03-2014, 05:34 PM
I have them and I love them. Your castle is great! Another good idea from another crafty member of HC! :-D