PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting?

Teddy001
06-02-2014, 01:28 AM
I apologize, but I feel like I'm starting from ground zero, again.
I have a few questions regards to glass tank set ups, which I've never had before.
I've seen examples of tanks that have the LED lighting. I know nothing about LED lighting, but thought they do add beauty to a tank cage.

Is there specific brands of LED lights that's best for an hams tank? Also, they come in different colors. Do the colors effect the hamster, when the light is turned on?

Is the strip or what ever the LED is made of, does it attach to the inside or outside, and last, does LED lighting create heat?

I've seen LED lighting at Pet Stores, in the fish section, but since I do not own fish, I've never really looked closely at the set up or in details, other than I looked at 1 brand, that was rather expensive.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

StarlightSerenity
06-02-2014, 01:33 AM
I use these the IKEA Dioder (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00202324/) behind my cages. It came with small sticky pads that I used to attach them to the wall but there are also little screw attachment thingies.

Whether or not you can put them inside the cage I don't know, depends on if you could put them high enough so that the ham wouldn't be able to reach them.

Hamsters can't see red lights so I got those multi coloured ones so that I could have them set on red and watch the hams without disturbing them. Works a treat, even Badger goes about his business when I'm there with the red lights on!

LED lights create very, very, very little heat. They feel like room temp to me when I touch them after they've been on for ages.

Teddy001
06-02-2014, 02:01 AM
I use these the IKEA Dioder (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00202324/) behind my cages. It came with small sticky pads that I used to attach them to the wall but there are also little screw attachment thingies.

Whether or not you can put them inside the cage I don't know, depends on if you could put them high enough so that the ham wouldn't be able to reach them.

Hamsters can't see red lights so I got those multi coloured ones so that I could have them set on red and watch the hams without disturbing them. Works a treat, even Badger goes about his business when I'm there with the red lights on!

LED lights create very, very, very little heat. They feel like room temp to me when I touch them after they've been on for ages.

Oh, how cool! What happens when you turn on the other colors? Does your ham react?
Attaching to the wall, is a great idea!.
Thanks so MUCH! Ikea's going to love me!. LOL.

StarlightSerenity
06-02-2014, 02:05 AM
You're welcome :D

They've not reacted much that I've noticed. Just been the same as though I've turned the lights on :D

Hamsterz4Life
06-02-2014, 07:47 AM
The dioder comes in 3 or 4 different lightingstrips?, so did you just buy one packet of dioder and separate the lighting strips and put one behind each cage?

If you did, was it easy and how did you go about doing it?

Sorry about the amount of questions! Thanks so much x

Skeever
06-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Mwahaha, Edward Snowden One, Hamsters Zero! I can do nightime surveillance of the hammie ! mwhahahahaha.

:D

Teddy001
06-02-2014, 10:33 PM
The dioder comes in 3 or 4 different lightingstrips?, so did you just buy one packet of dioder and separate the lighting strips and put one behind each cage?

I think it comes in 1 strip, that you can change the colors. I'm not 100% sure, however, an member on HC kiki has one on her Ikea Lack Coffee table tank, and it appeared she was pushing an device to change the color lights.

Teddy001
06-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Mwahaha, Edward Snowden One, Hamsters Zero! I can do nightime surveillance of the hammie ! mwhahahahaha.

:D

hehe, surveillance the hammies! ACE!:D

StarlightSerenity
06-02-2014, 11:53 PM

The one I got has four strips, you can have them all connected into one strip or have them separate. They come with a long cable for each one that connects to the power cable so that you can have them separately positioned.

The colour changing ones have another cable and little box thing which allows you to change the colour. You can have it cycling through all the colours, fading or switching between each colour or fixed on one colour.

bluedreamer
06-03-2014, 12:04 AM
You need something like this...

5M 16 4ft 3528 RGB 300LED SMD Light Strip Non Waterproof 44Key IR 12V 2A Adapter | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-16-4FT-3528-RGB-300LED-SMD-Light-Strip-Non-Waterproof-44Key-IR-12V-2A-Adapter/130988483367?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26 asc%3D22425%26meid%3D7352293839978140732%26pid%3D1 00010%26prg%3D9723%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D1608 42866544%26)

I am using this for my degus more than a year now and I am very satisfied...

didn`t try it on hams but no reason they would mind...

It generates no heat at all and power consumption is minimal... You can set hundreds of colors via remote and even have disco effects (not that you need that for hamsters but it still looks cool) :mad::mad:

Hamsterz4Life
06-03-2014, 07:56 AM
The one I got has four strips, you can have them all connected into one strip or have them separate. They come with a long cable for each one that connects to the power cable so that you can have them separately positioned.

The colour changing ones have another cable and little box thing which allows you to change the colour. You can have it cycling through all the colours, fading or switching between each colour or fixed on one colour.

Thank you so much Starlight! That has really helped me out :) x