PDA

View Full Version : Pipstick Bobble...

Hambobs
05-31-2014, 01:24 PM
I found my 22 month old Syrian girl Pipstick curled up in her nest last Saturday night. She had declined rapidly in the previous 3 weeks, and had just reached the point where she wasn't really eating, so in a way I'm glad I didn't have to make a hard decision.

This is our story...

...As I drove to the pet store in October 2012, I knew I would be coming home with the lovely little black girl I'd seen in the adoption centre. I'd always wanted a black hamster. When I got there she was asleep, but the occupant of the bay above, a chocolate girl named Pippa, was wide awake. As I pressed my finger softly to the glass, you put your nose right next to it, as if to nuzzle. I asked the assistant if I could have a look at you, and when she opened the door, you immediately stepped out - right onto the sticky back of a name label that had been left on the ledge. You didn't panic, you just stood there and gave me a look as if to say, 'a little help here, please?' Between us, we got you unstuck, and that was it, it seemed like you needed me. I brought you home, and after the label incident, decided that a little name change was in order, so you became Pipstick...

...A week later, I lay in bed listening to you chewing the water bottle hole of your Zoozone 1 and wondering if I'd made a big mistake. You just wouldn't stop chewing that hole, nothing I could do to stop you worked and it was driving me insane as I heard you chewing away for hours. I seriously contemplated taking you back to the store. But by the morning, I knew I had to give you a chance. The Zoozone had only ever intended to be temporary, and I knew the 8in wheel you had was a little small for you...

...A couple of weeks later you were a changed hamster. You loved your new 11in Trixie wheel, and as soon as you moved into the Barney (and subsequently your Christmas present, the Alexander) you never bar-chewed, or attacked the water bottle. At first, you were too busy being a 100-mile-an-hour ham to respond to my taming attempts, but as soon as you figured out I was the provider of food and free roaming time, you readily came into my hands, and our bond truly began to form...

...I loved your silky smooth fur, your ten-to-the-dozen heartbeat, and how warm you always were.
You loved seagrass tunnels - I had to buy you a new one every couple of weeks as you'd quickly chew them away to nothing.
I loved that when you were in heat, you smelled like popcorn, so your nickname became 'Pip-pop'. And when you did the 'freeze', as it was the only time you stayed still long enough for me to stroke you.
You loved food, particularly baby food, and would sit in my arms happily licking it off the spoon for as long as I'd let you.
I loved how you always made me laugh, even when I was coming home from work every day hating my job - just seeing your face at the bars would cheer me up...

...About two months ago your fur along your back began to fall out, and you developed scabby sores. I noticed your teeth were a little overgrown as well, so we had your one and only vet visit. You had to be given ether for the teeth trimming as you were too wriggly, and you made the vet laugh out loud as you tried to chew the bit of cucumber I'd given you, and couldn't work out why your teeth weren't the same size. The mite treatment worked really well, and a couple of weeks later your fur had grown back and you were your usual self again. I breathed a sigh of relief and hoped we'd have many more months together...

But sadly, it wasn't to be. You started to lose the strength in your legs, you slowed down to a walk instead of a run, and stopped wanting to come out. Your ears were down, you lost your body warmth and stayed in your nest all the time. On Thursday evening you came out for the last time, and sat sleepily in my arms as I fed you your favourite baby food. I will treasure that memory, it's how I want to remember you.

Thank you, my darling Pipstick, for all the good times, and for teaching me that the rewards of perseverance are all the greater :)

Smara
05-31-2014, 02:14 PM
What a lovely tribute for a very special girl. She was so beautiful, love her brown fur and i'm so happy you took her in and didn't give up on her when things got a bit rough. I'm so sorry for your loss...you obviously loved her very much and cared for her every day of her life. It's so sad that hamsters have such short lives compared to ours...it always hurts so much to say goodbye when the end comes but somehow it's entirely worth it.
Run free at the rainbow bridge little Pipstick

DrKMcK
05-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Hambobs I an so sorry you lost Pipstick. Your memorial is heartbreakingly beautiful I had tears in my eyes reading it. The story of Pipstick and you is lovely and she was a true heartham. I know you are so sad and missing her. But what a wonderful life you shared with her. {hugs} to you. Play well at the bridge Pipstick. :-(

Zoopism
06-01-2014, 06:28 AM
I am sorry that pip pop passed away, can tell you cared dearly for her. Thank you for sharing your story, it is a lovely memorial for her :)

Play happy at the bridge x

fluffydd
06-04-2014, 05:28 AM
That is a beautiful memorial to a beautiful hamster. I'm sorry that Pipstick left you. You describe her so well - she was a wonderful hamster.

souffle
06-05-2014, 03:46 AM
What a beautiful memorial. She was so much loved. I am so sorry you have lost her.
Play well at the bridge Pipstick x

m00nbeam
06-05-2014, 03:47 AM
So sorry for your loss :( she was adorable x

Truffle
06-05-2014, 03:50 AM
A lovely tribute for Pipstick bobble. She was a very special hamster and I am so sorry for your loss.

Sleep tight little one xx