PDA

View Full Version : Advice about re-introducing robos please?

hidinginlight
09-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Welcome to Hamster Central
how did you stumble across us?
I second the demand for pictures Christopher
I love Roborovski and cannot wait to see Maude and Doris

Hello

I apologise for being rubbish and not replying to all the kind messages sooner, but I have been abroad for a month and have had several domestic issues to sort out (like moving).

I found the Hamster Central Wiki pages after doing a Google search for something - probably advice on what plants/fruit/veg can be safely given to Robos. I noticed the link to forum, read a few of the threads and was impressed - it's easier to follow advice when it is discussed and supported by enthusiasts!

Okay, here's hoping photobucket will allow these pictures to appear...

Maude and Doris - a couple of months ago, when they were still getting on okay
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/hidinginlight/maudedoris01.jpg

The cage set-up a couple of months back. As you can see, they are joined by a tube, but now they are separated.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/hidinginlight/maudedoriscage.jpg

I've just bought a large, shallow plastic tub this evening, which I will soon convert into a bin cage and then attempt to reintroduce the girls. I saw an excellent post on these forums before I went on holiday giving advice on how to reintroduce two Robos, but I can't for the life of me find it again - can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Bunsey
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
ah, is that the set-up you had them in before? i can see why you had to separate them. module cages are a no-no for a dwarf pair. anyways, i'm sure you have already been told that!

I would normally say never re-introduce, but as it looks like it was the cage that was the problem, i'd say in this case it's worth a try. Separate the tub into 2 halfs using some kind of mesh. put one in each half and see what happens when they sniff each other through the mesh. If they don't fly at each other trying to scrap through the mesh, keep it going and swap sides a few times. you could try leaving them in there for up to about 3 days. after that, if it's not working it probably isn't going to. you could try again when they are very old, like 2 years old.

hidinginlight
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the advice Bunsey - I'm really hoping the new type of cage will help them to get along better. I've got a tub for it that measures 1m (length) x 35cm (width) x 15cm (height) which I hope will provide them with enough space.

I'm very confident that they wont 'go for each other' as, even when I was concerned about how they were getting on, I would testily put them both in a cardboard play box whilst I cleaned the cages and they would get on all right. It always seemed to occur if they were together for more than a few hours, so I really think it was the cage set-up which was causing the fall-outs.

Just need to pay a visit to my good father for the use of his tools and pretty soon Maude and Doris will be living it up in their new pad.

arikata
09-22-2008, 04:48 AM
They are beautiful little robos!