PDA

View Full Version : Ikea Detolf Ripoff?!

Dave1995
05-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Hello!

I've really been trying to get a Detolf from Ikea to use as a cage, but I think this is bad!

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2hwnvk8.jpg

Ikea wanting almost the same price just for delivery? Anyone else think this is wrong.

I would goto the store but it's 79.5 miles away and I have no car :(
Has anyone seen any cheaper places that sell a simlar product?

Cheers

- Dave

kyrilliondaemon
05-28-2014, 04:00 PM
I know, we've had the same problem except IKEA is even further away :( We have one but we just did a day trip to get it and found lots of fun stuff to do while out.

I don't know of anywhere that does anything similar I'm afraid, I have just remembered that they sometimes turn up secondhand on ebay and the like though :)

Hamsterz4Life
05-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Check preloved as well, I bought a second hand one in mint condition for a tenner! x

Dave1995
05-28-2014, 04:04 PM
I know, we've had the same problem except IKEA is even further away

I just done a google map search and found out it's 79.5 miles away.. alot more than I thought.
They are such a pain, but there is no way I am paying that much for a slow delivery.

kyrilliondaemon
05-28-2014, 04:08 PM
I felt exactly the same I assure you! No way am I paying that much to get one delivered. Could you go for a different cage instead? Or yeah, look for them secondhand - they turn up way closer to us than IKEA is :)

Teddy001
05-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Hello!

I've really been trying to get a Detolf from Ikea to use as a cage, but I think this is bad!

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2hwnvk8.jpg

Ikea wanting almost the same price just for delivery? Anyone else think this is wrong.

I would goto the store but it's 79.5 miles away and I have no car :(
Has anyone seen any cheaper places that sell a simlar product?

Cheers

- Dave

Dave, I checked with Amazon and the Ikea website.. I just about fell over!! To ship 1 to where I'm at, the shipping was over $100!! Lol. Yes, for an $40 item. I understand its heavy to ship, but I won't pay 3tx what it cost for the item to be shipped to me.

Dave1995
05-28-2014, 04:15 PM
I felt exactly the same I assure you! No way am I paying that much to get one delivered. Could you go for a different cage instead? Or yeah, look for them secondhand - they turn up way closer to us than IKEA is :)

Yeah I've been looking on some sale websites such as Ebay, gumtree and preloved but I am unable to find one yet, in my area.

Hamsterz4Life
05-28-2014, 04:20 PM
To be honest, the detolf is an amazing cage due to its size but I don't like it. The stupid metal bars either side of the cage really get on my cheese when I am looking in the cage or cleaning it out(very hard job)! My thoughts are rather petty when considering its size though.. x

BrainGirl
05-28-2014, 04:22 PM
You might try asking around if anyone is going to make a trip there. Because I live on an island but the Ikea on the mainland is extremely popular people have started funding the cost of their trip by offering to pick up items for others who don't want to make the trip for a small fee.

Teddy001
05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
If you want one, I've read Ikea is " discontinuing" them. It's my understanding they will be replaced with something similar.. And the new item Ikea will be able to ship it in 2 boxes, so that shipping costs, are not rocket high!

Hamsterz4Life
05-28-2014, 04:33 PM
If you want one, I've read Ikea is " discontinuing" them. It's my understanding they will be replaced with something similar.. And the new item Ikea will be able to ship it in 2 boxes, so that shipping costs, are not rocket high!

I read that on another forum as well that they are to be discontinued and replaced with a new titivated item. This is just like what they are doing with the expedit.. bringing out a new "kallax"! x

humfry
05-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Delivery charges do make relatively inexpensive items appear costly. However if you consider that if you did have a car you are talking about a160 mile round trip. In my small old vehicle that would be over £20 in petrol. So the £35 is understandable when it has to cover admin, labelling/packing, despatch, transport, insurance, delivery & (nasty word) profit for the courier.

Do you have a friend with a car who would like to make a day out of it with you? Mind you, once you get inside IKEA there is just so much temptation!!

racinghamster
05-29-2014, 07:46 AM
I once enquired about delivery of a `Billy` bookcase and nearly fell over at the delivery charge! I didn`t bother...

A friend of mine (who has a car) delivered me an Expedit unit last year though which I was most greatful for as I had found a second one on ebay for £25.00 locally and the seller delivered it for me, which was great. So I managed to get two the same birch colour and stand them together to make one long unit. Looks great....but now I`m into retro 50`s/60`s furniture so my decor is going to look rather odd! :mad:

I agree about looking for one second hand though. They DO come up from time to time. I think people buy them and then fall out of love with them. So keep looking. :) I imagine it would look fab sat on a long sideboard.

Dave1995
05-29-2014, 09:50 AM
I have found one for £25 pound near my area in perfect condition (apprantly). I've asked my girlfriend to ask her father if he could pick it up. He owns a big van! fingers crossed!!

Pilgrim77
05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Our local Ikea doesn't do online delivery so you go down to the store. I was buying a wardrobe and live maybe 2 miles away from the Ikea. As it was too big for the car we arranged for home delivery. £20. To go 2 miles. Their delivery system needs a major rethink.

BrainGirl
05-29-2014, 10:28 AM
I have found one for £25 pound near my area in perfect condition (apprantly). I've asked my girlfriend to ask her father if he could pick it up. He owns a big van! fingers crossed!!

Good luck!