PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises !

ruthwlk
08-27-2008, 02:04 PM
I came by my hamster Deb by accident - my neighbour asked me to look after it (not sure what sex it is, or how old,or what type !) while he was on holiday, and promptly moved out one day while I was at work, never to return for poor Deb. We've had him for a year now, and he is just soooo cute, we all love him to bits. He's really tame, loves to be cuddled and comes when you call his name - the best pet I've ever had ! I've never heard him make a single sound before, but tonight he started making little squeaky noises, for about 20 minutes non-stop. He seems perfectly well and is racing round as usual, eating normally. Is he OK ?

souffle
08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
It is hard to tell what it could be. Some hamsters are very vocal and chirp and chatter a lot but you say Deb has never done this before so it is possible there is something amiss. It could be quite simple like a little fright ar a bit of dust in his nose or maybe he bit his tongue or jarred a tooth. Does he bar chew? Try and give him an allover check, looking for lumps, bumps, cuts, broken teeth, swelling etc. Look at his wee corner and poops to check all is normal. Listen close to his nose and see if his breathing seems OK. If there is anything not right it may be best to have him checked by a vet but otherwise just monitor him for a few days and see if it happens again.
If you have any piccies we would love to meet Deb and maybe help you ID him/her! Sounds like a lovely friend you have and a much loved family member :D

ruthwlk
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Just wanted to update you on Deb. After your advice and after her squeaking became worse and more frequent I took Deb to the vets. She's a she, a syrian and her lungs were congested. She's halfway through a course of antibiotics and is improving nicely ! She's almost back to her normal (quiet) self - Thanks ! :D

souffle
09-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Glad to hear Debs has such an observant owner and is now on the mend. Sounds like she had a chest infection. Hammys can catch human colds and they can bring on a chest infection. keep taking your medicine little lady and get well soon. :D Well done you for getting her treated quickly when you noticed something different about her behavior.