PDA

View Full Version : suitable cages?

crawleytown
08-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Hi,

I have been looking into getting a dwarf hammie for a whiel now and was wondering what cages people would reccomend for an adult winter white? I know Gabber Rexes are good cages, athlough very diffucult to find.. Would a Jack 72 cage be okay or would one be able to squeeze out? Are there any other cages that fairly cheap and readily avalible on the interenet that people would reccomend?

Thanks in advance :)

pophammy
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Have you looked in the cage reviews section? That gives lots of advice and peoples opinions on what the best cages are.

Personally, for a single Dwarf, I would recommend the Bernie Criceto Deluxe. Our WW Kipton lives in one of these and is very happy! There's one on this site with the platform upside down under Bernie Criceto Prestige, but it's the same thing. http://www.petcages.co.uk/products.asp?catid=14

The Gabber Lux is also good, but it seems to be as unobtainable as the Rex these days.

Kay_zee
08-26-2008, 06:50 AM
I've recently bought a Jack 72 cage and wouldn't recommend it for a WW personally. The bar spacing is around 1cm I believe (I don't have it to hand as it's in the attic, but can double check if need be), however the problem is there are lots of ways I worried about even a Syrian escaping from it. Some of the doors are quite loose and areas of the cage have a bigger gap than 1cm and so I had to use about 10 cable ties to get it as secure as I wanted it to be. I agree with Pophammy, that a plastic tub style cage would be more suitable.

crawleytown
08-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll get looking on ebay for some tank cages :)

crawleytown
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Sorry to keep asking questions but I have found http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rotastak-Cosmo-Po ... 286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rotastak-Cosmo-Pod-Home-Mice-Gerbils-Dwarf-Hamsters_W0QQitemZ380062400445QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item380062400445&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C24 0%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14). Would you reccomend it?

souffle
09-17-2008, 09:37 AM
As that is an extended version of the flat cage I think that would be OK for ONE dwarf. It may be a bit hard to get it out of theough for taming. We have a friend with a single dwarf in one of these.

internet_nobody
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I like the ferplast mini duna for singles. Its cheap (around £20), has good access, and fits a few toys in nicely!

T-Bone
09-21-2008, 11:21 AM
We've used cosmo pods before and they aren't much fun to clean.

Whereas with a rody, gabber etc style cage you can just lift the lid off with the cosmo pods you have to take them apart to clean and then reassemble them again afterwards.

Its not a good cage for taming either as stated above. It is difficult to reach in with your hand to pick up the hamster and if you have a territorial dwarfie its nigh on impossible to get a ball or tub in the cage for them to climb into.

karmawitch
09-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm a huge Savic fan - what about the Peggy ?

Hanlou
09-23-2008, 01:09 AM
I've just moved my WW from a Gabber Rex into a Savic Cambridge as I ended up with a Cambridge spare having got a bargain on ebay! :wink:

Harry loves it - I think he really enjoys the height it offers. Previously I don't think I would have really thought of a 'cage' for a WW but would have gone for a Rex etc but Harry certainly seems to love his new pad. Will take some photos soon and put them in the 'show your cage' bit. Mind you, the idea to put him in there came from another HC member who has put her WW in a Cambridge. :)

I may attach the cage to his Gabber Rex at some point too to give him tons of space.

crawleytown
09-25-2008, 07:59 AM
thanks for that, I would have thought they'd have escaped from a Cambridge but obviously not. I have moved my Syrian into another cage so now I have got a spare Gabber rex, I think I am gonna use that :lol: