PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Puddle

Puddle
05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
I lost my little puddle on Sunday and just thought if write something for my memory if nothing else.

Found Puds in Pets at Home adoption centre, little white thing with a grey face. I asked why she was there and she ha been returned twice cos she but everyone :( and they didn't seem sure of her age. I couldn't leave her there as I don't think anyone would take her.

So I got her home and settled in her new cage. On approaching the cage she always struck out in my direction :( I gave her treats through the bars which she always snatched. As time went on she stopped snatching and gently took even the littlest of seeds carefully from my grasp. She had a good run in a pen on the floor every day where I would stroke her and get her used to hands.

Eventually I got the nerve to pop her on the sofa with me and she was fine, didn't even flinch or turn round anymore when I stroked her. Would climb up me and no problem at all. I don't think her previous owners had been very nice to her :( she was still a little protective in her cage when I went to get her out but fine elsewhere.

I always had a feeling there was something else wrong with Puddle, she was always very small and light. Smallest hamster iv ever had by a mile. Often thought she might have been a runt of a litter and her balance was never great, would often stand up to smell things and fall over.

Anyway poor Puds got a cold and suddenly didn't seem very mobile at all. At the vets she proceeded to keep falling over on the table and at one point just fell on her side and didn't move. I was certain she was dieing then. The vet reccomeneded I put her down but it didn't feel right as this was not her normal behaviour. So I went home with antibiotics.

Two days later puds was back to running around and climbing her cage etc like nothing was ever wrong, but still had a bit of a sneeze an a few clicks. Anyway finished the course of antibiotics and then a week or so later she slowed right down and suddenly looked unkept :(

It got to the stage where I was giving her her food in bed and taking her water to her, the only time she got up was to have a wee.

Then I knew the end was nigh when she stopped responding to being touched etc. I made her as comfy as I could and she had my girlfriends winter sock er comfort and warmth. She was obviously breathing but I'm guessing was either unconscious or in hibernation but had no reason to hibernate. I think her little body just decided to shut down possibly through the cold/old age I'm not sure.

On the Sunday I checked on her and she was double breathing as if it was a struggle so I popped her on my chest an held her paw for the last 30/45 minutes till she eventually passed with movement of her head and raising the paw I was holding. The fact she raised that paw made me cry my eyes out even though I'm sure it wasn't connected to my touch.

I'm glad she went on her own accord an I think with no pain as she was booked into th vets on Monday morning.

rip my little Puds. Hopefully never forgotten and happy up there with Smudge, Millie and Tubs. Xx

Wexland
05-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Sorry for your loss, RIP little puddle

Puddle
05-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Really hard to get a good photo of puddle but here she is climbing the sofa pillows, stopping near the top as if to say 'why aren't u chasing me' as she always did.

http://i60.tinypic.com/10o1tw6.jpg

Wexland
05-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Aw look at her little face, bless her, thankfully she found you after a rough start.

ANGELBABIES
05-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Awww she is lovely little girl playing free at the rainbow bridge. Glad you were with her till the end - what makes you think that her lifting the paw was an unconscious gesture. I have had my hammies leave me in my arms and such gestures are I believe an acknowledgement of the love you have given them and a goodbye for time being. You gave her a wonderful home and love, hope this gives you the strength and comfort during this sad time. Run free little fluff - plenty of goodies at the rainbow bridge.

fluffydd
05-13-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry that Puddle left you. You did a wonderful thing giving her a new home and the chance to be loved. It's no wonder that she decided she liked people after you gave her so much love and care. I'm sure she had a totally happy life with her. You gave her a very lovely end to her life too. She appreciated your warmth and holding her paw was such a sweet thing to do. *Hugs*

kyrilliondaemon
05-13-2014, 04:47 PM
It sounds like Puddle really needed you and really benefitted from her time with you. I'm sorry she's had to pass now :(

racinghamster
05-14-2014, 04:14 AM
You gave Puddle a third chance at life and that`s what matters. Any hamster who belongs to an HC member is always a much loved member. Sweet dreams Puddle, we will always remember you. x

Sezimodo
05-14-2014, 06:24 AM
RIP Puddle, hopefully she can find Sammy, our perfect Syrain who left us today too. I feel your pain x

Stockannette
05-14-2014, 06:53 AM
So sorry for your loss.

souffle
05-20-2014, 04:03 AM
I am so sorry for your loss :( She had a lovely life with you x
Play well at the bridge Puddle xx