PDA

View Full Version : roborovskis in westmidlands/staffordshire?

prince_medion
05-04-2014, 02:33 AM
since kami left us, i wanted to get new robos, but i haven't had much luck finding some. all pets@home had stoped selling them an only have the odd ones in adoption, but i want at least 2 as they are better in groups. Tammy from kingwinsford oakfarm rodents doesn't seem to reply to my emails. They have 3 separate ones in shipley,s gardenland garden centre but i'm weary if they have been separate they will fight once together.

what should i do?

squishyhammy
05-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Do you have any rescue shelters around?
I'm pretty sure PAH haven't stopped selling them though?

squishyhammy
05-04-2014, 04:12 AM
*Phone went funny and sent twice*

prince_medion
05-04-2014, 10:04 AM
well, merry hill, telford, wallsall pets at home told me they are stopping selling them as a trial as they found that they are not suitable for all ages. As much as i would love to get rescue ones, I find that they would be harder to tame and get used to u. I have just been to the wolverhampton one and they told me they should put a new order soon and will hopefully get some within a week or so. Although they had one for adoption (called john snow from game of thrones lol) and one left on his own we didn't want to risk putting them together and the shop assistant confirmed they were of different litter and wouldn't risk it either. One thing that shocked me though is they were feeding them kiwi fruits, but i thought they were too acidic for hamsters.

squishyhammy
05-04-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be feeding them kiwi fruits.... Well I hope your quest for a robo comes to an end soon an you have a pair of fuzz balls running around!

Hamsterz4Life
05-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Most Pets at Home stores in the Midlands(can't speak for elsewhere) have stopped stocking roborovski hamsters - cannock have as well by the way! When I was looking for my roborovskis (before I really knew about NHC registered breeders) I went on the P@H website on store finder and rang like 12 stores near me to find a store that had a pair of females, so I guess you could do the same to ask if they sold robos? x

prince_medion
05-04-2014, 11:41 AM
As much as i would rather have registered breeders hamsters, the only one i know local to me is the oak farm in kingwinsford, the thing is she doesn't seem to answer her mails or phone and considering she might have a long waiting list, it might take a while before i get some. Though to be honest i haven't had muchproblem with store bought ones except with nibbles the ds chinese who was just insanely shy and jumpy and even if we had some improvements some days, he was back to square zero the day after, and would not even consider coming for food if you were anywhere near, he even sometimes froze and looked in an absolute state of panic with his chest beating really fast.

PaulEd
05-04-2014, 03:41 PM
I have some Robo's, 4 youngsters born on the 15th of March. They are still with mom at the moment, but I was going to separate them in the next few days as I don't feel at all confident about sexing them. If you are at all interested you would be most welcome to meet them and see what happens.

I'm in Cannock.

Hamsterz4Life
05-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Just had a spur of the moment thought and in Brierley Hill there is a family/friend run pet shop called 'Companions'! They breed the hamsters themselves and are fantastic where customer service is concerned and the pet shop is great. I know they have roborovski hamsters as if you like the Companions Facebook page you get updates to what is available and/or you can message Tes and the crew to see what is available, they are very helpful! x

Pet Supplies Dog Grooming Dog Training Brierley Hill - Companions Pets Ltd (http://www.companionspets.co.uk/)

Truffle
05-04-2014, 05:52 PM
As much as i would rather have registered breeders hamsters, the only one i know local to me is the oak farm in kingwinsford, the thing is she doesn't seem to answer her mails or phone and considering she might have a long waiting list, it might take a while before i get some. Though to be honest i haven't had muchproblem with store bought ones except with nibbles the ds chinese who was just insanely shy and jumpy and even if we had some improvements some days, he was back to square zero the day after, and would not even consider coming for food if you were anywhere near, he even sometimes froze and looked in an absolute state of panic with his chest beating really fast.

About a month ago I had some trouble getting in touch with Tammy, so I decided to adopt a little Robo from P@H instead. She came from the back of the building, she was not out in the adoption centre on the shop floor and I had to ask the assistant what hamsters they had :)

I was just wondering if you have looked into one of the smaller independent pet shops?

prince_medion
05-05-2014, 04:16 AM
I have yes and they either had just one on its own or they too stopped doing roborovski. I would especialy not recommend getting them from gardenlands garden centre near shipley. They put them on their own in small tanks with no wheels, and the ones they had looked so fat they were nearly as big as winter whites and looked lethargic and uncomfortable.

Also this creature comforts in rugeley you told me about in pm seems to have bad reviews.

Criceto_Hamstery
05-05-2014, 04:59 AM
I have some Robo's, 4 youngsters born on the 15th of March. They are still with mom at the moment, but I was going to separate them in the next few days as I don't feel at all confident about sexing them. If you are at all interested you would be most welcome to meet them and see what happens.

I'm in Cannock.

Cannock is in Scotland if I'm correct (?). They are in Staffordshire.

PaulEd
05-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Cannock is in Staffordshire, Cannich is near Loch Ness?

Truffle
05-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Also this creature comforts in rugeley you told me about in pm seems to have bad reviews.

I am sorry, I didn't realise that it had had bad reviews. I thought that it was alright as a pet shop (it is certainly better than some I have been too :)).

Criceto_Hamstery
05-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Cannock is in Staffordshire, Cannich is near Loch Ness?

Sorry shows my terrible geography skills! I dropped geography in year 10!

PaulEd
05-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Sorry shows my terrible geography skills! I dropped geography in year 10!

No problem. I once spent an evening talking to a bar man in Fort Augustus about the people we knew back home in Cannock. After 2 hours we realized he meant Cannich... The amazing thing was that by that time we both seemed to remember the same pub! :mad:

On another note, should I assume that my four Robo's are of no interest? I need to go buy lots of cages and furniture soon, would like to avoid that if there is a suitable home already waiting for some of them.

Hamsterz4Life
05-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Did you see my previous post towards the latter of page one about Companions pets? x

Criceto_Hamstery
05-05-2014, 10:15 AM
No problem. I once spent an evening talking to a bar man in Fort Augustus about the people we knew back home in Cannock. After 2 hours we realized he meant Cannich... The amazing thing was that by that time we both seemed to remember the same pub! :mad:

On another note, should I assume that my four Robo's are of no interest? I need to go buy lots of cages and furniture soon, would like to avoid that if there is a suitable home already waiting for some of them.

Mum and any female babies will most likely be pregnant now. They reach sexually mature at 5 weeks so they will most likely be pregnant now.

prince_medion
05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Yes i have seen your post about "companions", sorry i did not mention it, and @PaulEd, I'm not sure i would be any better at sexing them, and have you been handling them, are they from healthy parents? If they are pregnant and especially from incest inbreeding then I'm not so keen.

prince_medion
05-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Update: I have now found exactly what I wanted, 3 girls from the same litter.
BIG THANKS HAMSTERZ4LIFE!!!

Hamsterz4Life
05-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Update: I have now found exactly what I wanted, 3 girls from the same litter.
BIG THANKS HAMSTERZ4LIFE!!!

Glad that you got what you wanted! Companions is a great shop x

prince_medion
05-07-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm going tonight to pick them up! looking forward to meet my new girls!!! Bonus is they already are handle-able from what the shop owner told me on the phone!