PDA

View Full Version : New Playpen for Indie and her 3 babies

ANGELBABIES
04-26-2014, 02:33 PM
I had made a playpen for my four hammies out of cardboard boxes connected with tubes. After many attempts at patching it up as the naughty ones kept chewing holes, my husband and I decided it was time to make a new pen.

So here it is - made of wood cladding for houses, joined on four sides with hinges. Indie inaugurating the new playpen.

ANGELBABIES
04-26-2014, 02:43 PM
As some of you may recall - I rescued Indie end of January this year, and the very next day she surprised me with a litter of 9 babies - 4 girls and 5 boys. I have kept Indie, one little boy and two little girls. All the others have gone to good homes.

Now this is one of the little girl - Millie.
Millie was meant to be taken in by someone. But this person had a stupid little triangular cage for her. I had asked him to get a bigger cage, and offered to take Millie to him. But couple of days later, he said he was not interested. Well I was not letting this little girl suffer in a tiny cage - so she stays with me, and she is an absolute darling xx
Spot the hamster in the third photo;)

Esmy
04-26-2014, 02:49 PM
It looks great! Looks like a lot of work was put into it. No hamster mischief now? Lol

RedSky
04-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Wow, what lucky hams!

ANGELBABIES
04-26-2014, 03:05 PM
It looks great! Looks like a lot of work was put into it. No hamster mischief now? Lol

Well Millie the naughty one has already made two holes in the base - its a loose cardboard sheet, so easily replaceable and gives her something to chew on even though there are so many chew tubes - hamsters eh??

Esmy
04-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah they love to put things to the test and expose flaws in our designs. lol I have a coroplast playpen and my girl would use her full body weight to push the wall off the base to expose the carpet, so I glued the base to the enclosure. lol

ANGELBABIES
04-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Meet the other naughty little girl - Pixie.
She is the only one who looks like her mother Indie, and my husband wanted to keep her.

m00nbeam
04-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Wow cool playpen !! Do u eave it out all the time ? And that must have been a shock - 9 babies !!! My friend got 3 robos and the next day one of the 'males' had 10 babies- then she seperate them and had back to back litters with another 6 !!! Luckily she got help from a breeder near her who took some in :-).

ANGELBABIES
04-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Wow cool playpen !! Do u eave it out all the time ? And that must have been a shock - 9 babies !!! My friend got 3 robos and the next day one of the 'males' had 10 babies- then she seperate them and had back to back litters with another 6 !!! Luckily she got help from a breeder near her who took some in :-).

Back to back litter - gosh that must have been pretty stressful for little mum and your friend. In the end - glad everything worked out.

I leave the playpen out permanently. We have two sitting rooms, the back room is more family room. I am lucky that my husband too loves these little monkeys and will do anything for them. He spent all saturday afternoon making this playpen. He wants to make another same size and attach it to the first one - but I have said no no no.... I have Ikea samla bin 130l in the same room which I fill deep with substrate, and that has a large flying saucer. So I have two hammies out at the same time. When one has spent 20-25 minutes in one playpen, we swap them around. It is getting easier organising the playtime for 4 hammies.