PDA

View Full Version : New hamster, trying to tame

Sarah_P
08-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Hello everyone - I'm Sarah :) I'm not new to hamsters but I thought I'd sign up as I've just got a new boy and want to make sure I'm doing everything right :)

This is the second boy I've had (although I had the other boy when I was around 4 so don't remember him so much) and was wondering how different they are to girls? The girls I've had in the past all seemed to be pretty much tame straight away - but my boy Marvin seems quite timid at the moment. He's quite young - around 5 weeks, and we've only had him 5 days now.

When he wakes up (usually around 9pm-10pm) he seems quite nervous and twitchy, but after a couple of minutes he's alright. I haven't held him yet, but I keep offering him little bits of food from my hand which he's starting to take, and if I leave my hand in the cage he'll sniff it and occaisionally walk over it - but he still seems a little wary of this. I'm hoping this is all normal behaviour for a young hamster and if I keep going this way he'll get used to me and become more confident?

Also - he seems to absoloutely love his wheel! When he wakes up he'll have a wash and some food and a little wander around the cage, but after that he's pretty much constantly on his wheel. Every minute or so he'll get off and go to the end of the cage as if he's checking if he's got anywhere, and then will get straight back on his wheel - is this normal behaviour?
There's a few other tubes and such in his cage which he does use but doesn't seem overly interested in. Is there anything you can reccommend that he'll enjoy using?

Sorry for the super long post! Thanks :D

pophammy
08-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum! :)

We don't find boys much different to girls. I think it really depends on the particular hamster on what its character and temperament is like, but we do find boys a bit more laid-back.

Yes, it's normal for new hamsters to be nervous and timid, particularly ones from pet shops. What you are doing is a good way of getting him used to you before starting taming. For more tips on taming you can have a look at the 'Taming Tips' article on the Wiki ~ http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Taming_tips .

Your hammy is new and I doubt he had a wheel in the petshop, so it will be a bit of a novelty for him. It's normal for youngsters to go a bit 'wheel-crazy' but once he's used to it he should settle down more.

As for recommendations, have a look at this thread ~ viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5345 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5345) ~ and this one ~ viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5010 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5010) ~ for other users' favourite toys.

Hope this helps, and looking forward to seeing some pics of Marvin soon! :wink:

jayne
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Hello and welcome Sarah :D

Pophammy has gave some really good advice there and referred you to a very helpful taming post. I'm sure if you follow these steps Marvin will get used to you in no time.
Same with the toys post, some members have listed their hams favourite toys there so you should get great information from that also.

Please keep us posted on how your taming with Marvin is going and we look forward to seeing him in some photos :wink:

Sarah_P
08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks very much for your advice - I'll have a read through those pages :D

I'll get some pics soon - only camera I've got is one on my phone which is broken, but I should be getting a new one soon so I can take some photos for you :D
I'm not sure if there's a 'proper' name for his type of colouring - he's ginger/brown with black stripes by his eyes and a white/grey belly - kind of tortishell :D

pophammy
08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Aww! He sounds like a golden to me ~ you can't get male tortoiseshells so it's unikely he's one of these (unless he's actually a she!).

Sarah_P
08-18-2008, 02:29 AM
He's definetely a he - he may only be small but it's quite obvious he's a boy :P :lol:

Well, we've had him just over a week now and I think I'm making progress :) Still haven't held him yet - but now when I put my hand in his cage he's nowhere near as jumpy and seems more inquisitive of me. He's very happy to take food from my hand and when he's on his wheel (most of the time!) he seems quite happy to have his back gently stroked :D

pophammy
08-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Yay that's great news! :D Perhaps you could try placing an ice cream tub or a hamster ball in his cage now, and when he climbs in taking it out and letting him run on your lap? He sounds like he will tame up nicely! :)

Sarah_P
08-19-2008, 07:40 AM
I'll try to give that a go - might be tricky fitting a ball/tub in his cage unless I take the top off - have to make sure all the cats are out of the room! :shock: hehe

I'm definetely making progress though - when I'm away from the cage he stops on his wheel and keeps looking over at us (although he's pretty ignorant when we go over :lol: ) and last night he took some more food from my hand and put his paw on my finger - and when I was talking to him he kept sitting up and coming over to me :D

Leah_Jayne
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Just be patient and you will get there in the end,my hamster was just like this and all of a sudden she is just the friendliest little hammy ever,can't wait for the pictures :D

Sarah_P
08-20-2008, 01:54 AM
I think I might wait until the next time I clean him out (probably on saturday) to try handling him - give him a couple more days to get used to us, and we'll have to take him out then - seems like an ideal opportunity :)

On his cage, he's got a tube that comes out and round and back in the cage - he's moved all his food out of his food bowl and stashed it all in his tube :shock: :lol: Should I put more in his bowl (as it's now empty!) or just leave it?

souffle
08-20-2008, 02:42 AM
I would pour it out his tube and back into his bowl then add some fresh. It can get rather stuffy in the tubes and it might go a bit off and block his tubes up as well. They always put it in the silliest places :roll:

Sarah_P
08-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Well I went to take the tube off yesterday to remove the food, and found that Marvin has decided to take some tissues up there and is now using it as his bed.... :lol:

Lolo
08-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Do you know Sarah my Harry did this just a couple of weeks ago out of the blue.
Harry is in a imac fantasy cage has slept in an open nest in the downstairs corner for months perfectly happy.
And decided to use the tubes as a shashing place(dog bones!!) :roll: and bed with tissues totally the out of the blue.
Has Mzrvin got a wee hidey hole place for himself to hide away if he needs to
I bought hARRY a plastic igloo house and he is now happily sleeping in that.
Hope this is any help to you maybe he needs just A wee bit of time to himself sometimes.best of luck hamsters may e small in body but sure are lagrge in character lol thats why i have 4 :wink:

Sarah_P
08-22-2008, 10:15 AM
:lol: I've always given all the hamsters I've had a nice home with beds and toys, and they always change it :lol:
I've had Marvin 2 weeks now, and until yesterday he'd slept quite happily in his bed - he's got a wooden house with shredded paper bedding in there. But he started by moving all his food up into the tubes - and then the tissue's I'd put in there (ones I'd been carrying around for a day so he's used to my scent), and now he's in there all day until he gets up :lol: He's even started weeing in there :shock: :roll: lol - I might get another piece to the tube (as he wees in a corner piece) so I can easily change and clean it each day.

He's definetely getting tamer though - I offered him a raisin last night and before and after he took it from my hand he just sat there looking at me with his paw on my hand :D

Lolo
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
well sounds like he has loads of places to go, was just a thought :idea: .......maybe you just got a wee character too ..........and next week he`ll be somewhere else?? :lol: they do keep us on outr toes dont they?? :?

Sarah_P
08-23-2008, 03:03 AM
:lol: They do indeed - maybe I'll try the bed that came with his cage, I preferred the other one but maybe he doesn't :lol: Especially as now he's shoved the tissue down to the bottom of the tube and is just sleeping in a nest of food in the tube :roll: :lol: