PDA

View Full Version : making a second bin cage to connect

Dotty
04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
I really want to give my little hammy a second level to give him double the space, currently he is in a bin cage made from this from Wilco's 62l long storage box. I would put a taller storage box on top, I'm nervous about connecting with a tube, it would have to run from the side up to the side I think. Has anyone ever done this with success? I've a syrian hamster.

Any advice how to do this with the tubes, what tubes and how do they connect would be appreciated.

Thanks

humfry
04-07-2014, 05:20 AM
I was thinking of doing 2 stacked bins but have put the idea on hold for now. Like you I was going to join them with a tube up the side but after a lot of thought decided it might be better to cut a hole in the bottom of the top bin & through the lid of the bottom bin & make an internal connection with a tube or ladder - absolutely no way hammy can escape if the connection fails because it gets a knock or comes lose!

Dotty
04-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Yes Humfry that is what I thought to do first but our bins have ridge lids so not sure how cutting them would go, but it would be easier for connection of tube or ladder I think.

SerendipityMark
04-08-2014, 04:23 AM
we connected two 64 L bin cages using Ancol Extendable Tuff Tube. cutting a hole in the bottom of the top cage and feeding the Tuff Tube through will connect the top to the bottom.

another method we used was to drill a 2" hole in the side of the bin cages with a hole cutter which is just the right size for the rotastak plastic pipes. care should be taken to ensure the holes are correctly position to allow the Rotastak pipes to be joined correctly.

I will post some images when i can

Truffle
04-08-2014, 08:47 AM
This link might help you. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PSSYPjVL9k

I have connected wilko bin cages together with Ferplast tubes. Similar to the video I made the ventilation holes on the front and sides so that I could stack the cages on top of one another.