PDA

View Full Version : I need a chewing thing for my hammie!! HELP

Basilthehamster
04-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Ok hi hammie lovers my hamster (Basil) is chewing like crazy he's gone on a chewing spree so I'd like to know some ways of making chews QUICK!! My mum and dad won't let me get anymore till JUNE!! Pls help me

From basilthehamster

souffle
04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Can you get some cardboard boxes or loo roll tubes and just give him those to chew on? They usually like cardboard.

Hamsterz4Life
04-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Yeah cardboard is great! Get cereal boxes and cut the top off the make an entrance so its a hide and a chew! You will most likely get your bedding from a pet store so you could maybe pick some chews up then if you explained the situation to your parents! x

DrKMcK
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
If you have a lumberyard nearby they usually have small pieces of plain 2X4 from cutting. Ask if they have any small pieces. I actually bought a whole two X 4 and cut it down myself with an electric saw. The picture below shows my Patches' chew block.
Cardboard boxes cut down into nice large pieces are great and so are toilet paper or paper towel rolls.

basilthehammy
04-03-2014, 01:56 PM
I suggest toliet paper rolls, my hammy, also basil, loves these

Rollin-Daisy
04-06-2014, 12:36 PM
I have a variety of cardboard for my hamster she has had large enough wheels in the past but I find she only interested in chewing things.

I give her lots of toilet tubes and she gets bedding hidden inside to make things more interesting I also get cardboard form the co op they keep it aside for me. She gets egg boxes and tissue boxes and this gives her more then enough to do.

suchsuchsuch
04-06-2014, 12:50 PM
If you have a lumberyard nearby they usually have small pieces of plain 2X4 from cutting. Ask if they have any small pieces. I actually bought a whole two X 4 and cut it down myself with an electric saw. The picture below shows my Patches' chew block.
Cardboard boxes cut down into nice large pieces are great and so are toilet paper or paper towel rolls.

Do you worry about splinters from the wood?

ChocolateCream81
04-06-2014, 01:52 PM
As well you can hide treats inside the loo rolls to make basil work for it. :)

Simba88
05-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Rub a little peanut butter on the inside of a loo roll tube and then scrunch it up, my hammy LOVES this.

DrKMcK
05-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Do you worry about splinters from the wood?

Not at all. Rodents need to chew and they will normally chew all kinds of wood in the wild. Quite a lot of chew toys are made of wood too. :-)

I also give my hams Hamsteroids. They are mineral chews and are good and hard. All my hams love them